• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MB 18 genset info

Oldfart

We just picked up an MB 18 generator and my SS site search does not find anything on this generator. It is a 30 KW that looks somewhat similiar to an MEP005. Anyone know where I could look for information (operators manual etc.) ~~~ Also picked up a GCC-300-W welder and it too does not appear to have any references on the SS site. I need help with info on this one too. ~~~ I did find a thread on the MC 2 compressor we got, but that thread indicated no manuals found.

Attachments

Oldfart

I have hit the site and read some threads ~~~ learned the MB 18 was probably an Air Force Genset from the late 60's early 70's ~~ What is required to post on that site? It appears I would have to join or become a member to ask questions???

Oldfart

Yea, and verily I say unto you that I have been on a steady date for lo these many years. That and I know which side of my bread is buttered and I have managed to make sure it always stayed sticky side up. ~~~ Talked to Jollyroger briefly and he said it was a good day. ~~~ Did he tell you the Genset had about 90 hours on the Hobbs? it was rebuilt 6 March 1992 and looks like it got installed and operational again in Nov 1998. The Welder is a Hobart with a Wisconsin 4V rated at 300 amps and a couple of 115v AC outlets with a KVA 4 rating. It was delivered to the military June of 1979. Welder paint is really gone on the top and the rest looks tan. There is some oxidized blue green something around the control panel. It sort of looks like a civilian unit except for all the military id plates.

Jericho

MB 18N genset was a diesel powered generator in the 60/50 cycle 1800/1500 rpm 110, /190, 220/380. 340/ 416 range 38 (60 kva )/28 (50kva) KVA depending on the wired output. Most had a straight six White engine, rad fluid preheater by south wind and were primarily an Air Force Asset used to power hardened facilities that had mission essiential functions , command posts , hospitals, Nuclear Missile top shacks ect. They were usually set on concrete pads or in sheds and maintained by Prime Power in CE. primary T.O. / Technical Order. not T.M. was 35C2-3-342-1-3-4 Hours were usually very low and they were routinely overhauled at the Air Force Depot. Our Command Post started them once a month and ran them half an hour to an hour, Biggest problem with them was LACK of use . I picked one up from Loring AFB closure a while ago. Set up and operation is more complex than a MEP , BE VERY CAREFUL STARTING AND OPERATING UNTIL YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE OPERATIONs MANUAL . I have a copy of the T.O. some where, been looking for it since a fellow member requested it. Air force manuals were called Technical Orders because their step by step use was required by Regulation on every task, The ENTIRE MANUAL WAS CONSIDERED A LEGAL ORDER UNDER THE JUSIDICTION OF THE SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE. More than one Airmen was given Article Fifteens or Court Marshalled based on Technical Order violations or not using one. ALL Air force Maintainence was covered by Technical Orders. If you were working a jet you better have your T.O. or ten, You had to have the instructions for any thing you may have worked on , Normally carried at least three full T.O.s , A lauch truck for Propulsion had an entire rack of the entire jet engine series on it in numerous sets to use on the flightline by any number of mechs. The only other option was a J.G. (Job Guide) an abbreviated T.O. that was used sometimes. Not having the correct Manual got your Flight Chief chewed and your butt chewed by the Col. then the DCM , Deputy Commander for Maintenance , not a good day . They were reliable and very well made, Albeit complex on the electrical side, Parts , relays, voltage regulators ect are hard to come by and very unit specific. Most went to the bone yard

Jericho

I don't remember the MC 2 T.O.numbers off the top of my head been 23 years, but my son is a Msgt AGE Ranger , Ill ask him . I know he knows

Oldfart

MB 18N genset was a diesel powered generator in the 60/50 cycle 1800/1500 rpm 110, /190, 220/380. 340/ 416 range 38 (60 kva )/28 (50kva) KVA depending on the wired output. Most had a straight six White engine, rad fluid preheater by south wind and were primarily an Air Force Asset used to power hardened facilities that had mission essiential functions , command posts , hospitals, Nuclear Missile top shacks ect. They were usually set on concrete pads or in sheds and maintained by Prime Power in CE. primary T.O. / Technical Order. not T.M. was 35C2-3-342-1-3-4 Hours were usually very low and they were routinely overhauled at the Air Force Depot. Our Command Post started them once a month and ran them half an hour to an hour, Biggest problem with them was LACK of use . I picked one up from Loring AFB closure a while ago. Set up and operation is more complex than a MEP , BE VERY CAREFUL STARTING AND OPERATING UNTIL YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE OPERATIONs MANUAL . I have a copy of the T.O. some where, been looking for it since a fellow member requested it. Air force manuals were called Technical Orders because their step by step use was required by Regulation on every task, The ENTIRE MANUAL WAS CONSIDERED A LEGAL ORDER UNDER THE JUSIDICTION OF THE SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE. More than one Airmen was given Article Fifteens or Court Marshalled based on Technical Order violations or not using one. ALL Air force Maintainence was covered by Technical Orders. If you were working a jet you better have your T.O. or ten, You had to have the instructions for any thing you may have worked on , Normally carried at least three full T.O.s , A lauch truck for Propulsion had an entire rack of the entire jet engine series on it in numerous sets to use on the flightline by any number of mechs. The only other option was a J.G. (Job Guide) an abbreviated T.O. that was used sometimes. Not having the correct Manual got your Flight Chief chewed and your butt chewed by the Col. then the DCM , Deputy Commander for Maintenance , not a good day . They were reliable and very well made, Albeit complex on the electrical side, Parts , relays, voltage regulators ect are hard to come by and very unit specific. Most went to the bone yard
Thanks for the information. We acquired this surplus from a Volunteer Fire Department. They had some company convert the generator to single phase and used it as a backup to Intermountain Rural Electrical Association power. Lack of use was their problem as well. It ran for maybe a half hour once a month just to make sure it would function. Since it never ran under load it would get difficult to start etc. They replaced it with a natural gas powered commercial unit. Since it was converted to single phase, my understanding is the KW is reduced to a little more than half of the original.

Jericho

your probably just about spot on, single phase use does reduce potential output. Have you had any luck getting consistent run times, I have seen some of these in the eighties in S Korea at forward locations clocking in the 50 thousand hour range, It seemed use was good for them , Standby for long periods was not. They are extremely well made as I am sure you know. The electrical harnesses were all hand loomed and wax string tied . a lot of attention to detail was given to assembly, Perhaps the biggest draw back was the normal Air Force mantra of the multi task unit, complex and meant to do everything. They were maintained to Aircraft standard and its readily appearent when you look at the internals . Just plain pretty!

Oldfart

Other than a quick start up and very short run, we have not used the generator. It has a fuel delivery problem. Can't tell if it is an injector pump or stuck emergency shut off valve. We have a couple of XM791's that were reduced to cab and chassis and we are considering building a dummy Pershing I to carry around on one of the XM's. We thought we would mount the gen set behind the cab and make that a part of our display. The other XM we figured we would find a somewhat original M4 expandable van body and make that one look more original (at least from the outside). When we get one of the XM's running, then we will tackle getting the gen set to operate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks