• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-005 with Generac, INOVA and Cummins ATS

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this very interesting and want to setup a MEP-006 this way. Gave me lots of ideas on frequency control and startup. I don't sell this or work for inova! Just FYI if you are looking at doing a similar project.

Retrofit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yAix1CNYUo

ATS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFbKTFV58hk

[FONT=&quot]MEP-005a Precise Genset. Automated with iNova autostart kit available here: [/FONT]http://inovahightech.com/store/index....

[FONT=&quot]Unit also has Generac Governor kit installed. Kit # 098790SRV.[/FONT]

Guyfang

Staff member
Great video. But the set is NOT a MEP005. The forerunner, yes. But 005A, no.

The electro/Hydrolic system he has there is a nightmare. The most labor intensive, problematical, leaky, consumer of seals, cherry juice, Hydrolic actuators, governors, hyd pumps, heat exchangers, (aluminum radiators) and time, that foolish mankind ever put on the earth. When he talked about having to unpott the governor, I have vivid memories of my office building going up in flames. While unpotting the GD thing, the diesel heater got too hot, all the solder in the seams of the governor, melted, and ran out on the heater. Then the potting material, (paraffin) a great flammable material, used the world over for heating and burning operations, ran down onto the heater also. It made for an impressive fire, to say the least. To add to the circus, my office was next to two 1200 gallon diesel fuel tankers, unloading fuel at the time. I was not mister popular for a while. I got down on bended knees, and thanked the Good Lord, when we at last got rid of the electro/Hydrolic governing system.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I don't have a mechanical or electrical issue with my 006 that I know of. I wish it was an 806 due to noise but other than that I really like the 004-007 models. I was thinking about the auto start board and I have a few part unit Cummins, Kohler and Generac ATS units that I bought from an auction a few years ago. I could probably make a working unit from the bunch. I keep an 004 and 006 around for business outages and for roofers that run sealing units. The business next to me raises fish and the owner wants an ATS since he needs constant air and filtration running to keep them alive. I think I am going to recommend a 802 on an ATS just for his lights, pumps and filter units @ 4.5 kw draw now. There are some cheap ATS units for standby home generators that may work. I would like one that allows testing with and without load and possibly monitor the generator. I was looking at the auto start module used in the video. Not sure if there is a better one or what others have used and liked. I was even thinking about using a small PLC to do this. Just want to have some fun tinkering with things again.