• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-1070A assist request (VFD)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all, I was waiting until I got pics and permission from my Chief. Got both today, so here we go. (Keep in mind, I'm generator 'illiterate')

My Volunteer Fire Department has received a MEP-1070A, Generator Set Diesel Engine 60kW 50/60Hz. We are looking into getting it wired into our building to serve as a replacement for our current backup generator. The issue is that is a 3 phase generator, and our new building is 1 phase. They are looking into working with the power company for a solution, but I figure that there's an answer on here on how to make this work for us.

The generator it is replacing is a mid 20kW generator, and it is not sufficient for powering the facility during extended outages.

I will be procuring the TMs through work.

Help a brother out!

And yes, pics attached (if you see this within a few minutes of me submitting, hold your horses, I'm typing on the laptop and adding from my phone)

Attachments

Scoobyshep

You can power a single phase service off of a 3 phase generator. Voltages will be slightly different 240 vs 208 98% of the time equipment wont care. Efficiency wise you loose 1/3 of the capacity. It is also best to get some form of load on the unused leg (2 loaded phases and 1 with no load is not good on the windings) a few heaters or halogen flood lights will help there.

Is this going to a manual or automatic transfer switch?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can power a single phase service off of a 3 phase generator. Voltages will be slightly different 240 vs 208 98% of the time equipment wont care. Efficiency wise you loose 1/3 of the capacity. It is also best to get some form of load on the unused leg (2 loaded phases and 1 with no load is not good on the windings) a few heaters or halogen flood lights will help there.

Is this going to a manual or automatic transfer switch?

I mean, that's making it essentially a 20kW generator, right? That doesn't do us any good. Where it sits will not be conducive to running extension cords to power something. They are looking to have this be a 'turn key' power solution, as far as I understand it currently.

Unknown if auto or manual transfer switch.

Scoobyshep

I mean, that's making it essentially a 20kW generator, right? That doesn't do us any good. Where it sits will not be conducive to running extension cords to power something. They are looking to have this be a 'turn key' power solution, as far as I understand it currently.

Unknown if auto or manual transfer switch.
Loss of 1/3. So a 60 kw is useful to 40 kw

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried to get into ETM yesterday, and kept getting an error message.
They changed it to AESIP and accounts are all FUBAR. I got mine realigned, but haven't gotten anything to show I have access. Figured I'd give it a few days and try again at the end of the week.