• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802A Water pump/fan retainer nut?

Binderman

Anybody know off the top of your head what size the fan to water pump snout nut size is? Left handed threads by chance? I noticed a rattle while unit was running, but it sounded like loose sheet metal so I didn't sweat it much, until I shut the unit off. Fan blade is loose and squealed badly when engine came to rest.

Anyone tightened one up with water pump still on the engine?

Thanks all!!!

Ray70

When you get to tightening your fan nut, make sure its facing the right way.
It should be flat on 1 side ( outside ) and have a round "collar" looking protrusion on the other.
That round protrusion with the recessed center goes against the pump to allow the nut to put pressure on the fan blade and not the snout of the pump.
A backwards nut will most likely not hold the fan tight!

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets start you out with an easy shove.

LO 9-6115-641-12: This is the Lubrication document. It tells you what, where, how and when to lubricate this gen set AND ENGINE. Its short, read it 1-2 times and then you at least know where to look for that info.

TM 9-6115-641-10: This is the bible.The operators manual, for the GEN SET. When you have a need to know something about the ENGINE, there is another TM. This should be read several times. You don't need to read every word. Skim. but skim with an open mind. It tells you more info than you will ever know or remember. So it's not going to hurt to give it a deep look, every now and then. And once again, you will KNOW where to look for GEN Set questions questions and answers. It will tell you how to PROPERLY emplace, use, shut down and do PMCS, (Preventive Maintenance and Services). It will tell you what you want to look at before you start the set, during operation and after shut down.

TM 9-6115-641-24: This book tells you how to Fix, Test, Remove and Replace anything on the GENERATOR Set. Not the engine. I can not stress how important it is to read the passages on a job you want to do, BEFORE doing it. Too many folks try to "just do it". Then run into problems. I can not point fingers. I did it that way 50 years ago. At some point, I found out there is a lot of info in the book to help me out. Make it faster and not break things. This is another book to skim a time or two. That way you have a general idea whats in it, and how to USE the TM.

TM 9-6115-641-24P: The Parts manual. Gives you the parts call out for the GENERATOR set. Not the engine. I would highly suggest you look at the book one time, from front to rear. There are a few items you would expect to find in it, that will not be there, and a few parts you expect to find there will NOT be there. They are in the engine TM. Then pay close attention to the UOC, (Uaeable on Code) There are a few parts listed in the TM, that are for the 400 hertz generator set. They are not going to help you, on your 60 hertz set. The explanation of the UOC is in the forward part of the TM.

TM 9-2815-252-24:

TM 9-2815-252-24P:

These are for the Engine. Everything I wrote about the TM's above, applies here. Just its for the Engine. Skim them 1-2 times.

You do not have to remember everything. But it sure helps when you know that the info is in the books. You then know where to find it. Have patience. Take your time. Before I do any procedure for the first time, I read the TM at least twice. There is no passage longer than a page or two. The TM's will not tell you everything, nor every problem and solution. It would be 10,000 pages long. The TM expects that you bring a little something to the job other than lunch. It is written for just about anyone to understand it. Non Rocket Science info. If you do not understand something, ask. The only stupid question is the question not asked. There are some really smart guys in this forum who can help you.

Last edited:

Binderman

Lets start you out with an easy shove.

LO 9-6115-641-12: This is the Lubrication document. It tells you what, where, how and when to lubricate this gen set AND ENGINE. Its short, read it 1-2 times and then you at least know where to look for that info.

TM 9-6115-641-10: This is the bible.The operators manual, for the GEN SET. When you have a need to know something about the ENGINE, there is another TM. This should be read several times. You don't need to read every word. Skim. but skim with an open mind. It tells you more info than you will ever know or remember. So it's not going to hurt to give it a deep look, every now and then. And once again, you will KNOW where to look for GEN Set questions questions and answers. It will tell you how to PROPERLY emplace, use, shut down and do PMCS, (Preventive Maintenance and Services). It will tell you what you want to look at before you start the set, during operation and after shut down.

TM 9-6115-641-24: This book tells you how to Fix, Test, Remove and Replace anything on the GENERATOR Set. Not the engine. I can not stress how important it is to read the passages on a job you want to do, BEFORE doing it. Too many folks try to "just do it". Then run into problems. I can not point fingers. I did it that way 50 years ago. At some point, I found out there is a lot of info in the book to help me out. Make it faster and not break things. This is another book to skim a time or two. That way you have a general idea whats in it, and how to USE the TM.

TM 9-6115-641-24P: The Parts manual. Gives you the parts call out for the GENERATOR set. Not the engine. I would highly suggest you look at the book one time, from front to rear. There are a few items you would expect to find in it, that will not be there, and a few parts you expect to find there will NOT be there. They are in the engine TM. Then pay close attention to the UOC, (Uaeable on Code) There are a few parts listed in the TM, that are for the 400 hertz generator set. They are not going to help you, on your 60 hertz set. The explanation of the UOC is in the forward part of the TM.

TM 9-2815-252-24:

TM 9-2815-252-24P:

These are for the Engine. Everything I wrote about the TM's above, applies here. Just its for the Engine. Skim them 1-2 times.

You do not have to remember everything. But it sure helps when you know that the info is in the books. You then know where to find it. Have patience. Take your time. Before I do any procedure for the first time, I read the TM at least twice. There is no passage longer than a page or two. The TM's will not tell you everything, nor every problem and solution. It would be 10,000 pages long. The TM expects that you bring a little something to the job other than lunch. It is written for just about anyone to understand it. Non Rocket Science info. If you do not understand something, ask. The only stupid question is the question not asked. There are some really smart guys in this forum who can help you.

Many thanks!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks