• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803a overload circuit

Guyfang

Staff member
Is this an old style S8, or a new one.

I copied every wire and location from the schematics and wire diagrams. I just need to go back through it and add 0's, (zeros) to all the single digit numbers, like S8-1 would then become S08-01, or you cant sort them right. And do one last, (again) look see through everything to make sure its RIGHT. Just need some more time.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure if its new or old... blue plastic body with Kraus & Naimer info. The machine has been closed back up and moved out of the garage.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know when they made the vendor change, but like you have said a few times, thats an irrelevant figure. This one was dusty in the rear of the control box, so certainly with the liberal washing it got... I hope the next owner will be problem free. She tested fine.

Zed254

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any update on the outcome of the 803a overloading and disconnecting the load?

I just finished changing out a burned up S8 switch in one of my 803a sets and still having the same issue as the original post in this thread although my set will go for quite a while before disconnecting the load and overload fault light coming on.

I wired in the new switch according to the schematic, wire for wire, double checked and triple checked every wire number and S8 terminal number and also made sure all the screws were tight.

My set seems to trip out faster when the voltage is set anywhere above 220. When it's at 220 it will run for a HF hour or so but eventually disconnects the load and overload fault comes on.

I have a good K8 to swap out from another known working set and might try that next just for expedience.

Next will be removing and disassembling K1 to look at the contacts inside and clean them up.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello. Yeah the S8 cleaned up just fine, and got full functionality back (with no overload condition up to 13.5kw). Forgot to circle back on this. Thanks for the reminder.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello. Yeah the S8 cleaned up just fine, and got full functionality back (with no overload condition up to 13.5kw). Forgot to circle back on this. Thanks for the reminder.
Ok thanks!

Your post came up in a search regarding overload thats how I ended up here. The posts here gave me good insight as to how and where to proceed.

I will continue to trouble shoot my problem.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you take any time cleaning the terminal boards in this same area, and retightening all screws there too?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stuff is magic. I have a 10k here that was going into overload at under 8KW (while simultaneously showing only 20% on the load gauge) just a couple of days ago. Being so cold I sprayed and exercised and came back the next day and just like it left the factory.

Jim Screeton

How long before it trips?

This could be your am/vm switch, need to test it. Test all your burden resistors. You will unfortunately have to desolder them to get an accurate reading.
I had two problems the percent rated current meter wasn't working, and tripping overload at part load. After many hours of trying to determine the cause, I found your post. I cleaned the am/vm switch with WD-40 contact cleaner. My 803 has the old cylinder-shaped switch. There are some small holes on the back metal plate. I sprayed about half the can into one of the holes. rotating the switch back, and forth. Works like a champ now. Thanks for the info.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I had two problems the percent rated current meter wasn't working, and tripping overload at part load. After many hours of trying to determine the cause, I found your post. I cleaned the am/vm switch with WD-40 contact cleaner. My 803 has the old cylinder-shaped switch. There are some small holes on the back metal plate. I sprayed about half the can into one of the holes. rotating the switch back, and forth. Works like a champ now. Thanks for the info.
It's nice when you can find an older thread that's related to a specific problem that you're having. I had some advice from another member here about locating such threads. They told me to type my unit model number and my problem into the google search bar rather than using the search on this forum. It actually works much better!

Another Ahab

Great thread. Troubleshooting a like new MEP 803A that looks/runs otherwise perfect. Opens contactor on overload. Will run all day with Battle Short on. I didn't realize the switchs need to be soaked, I only lightly cleaned. Going to try again.
Please let us know how that works.

Your MEP, is that for household back-up?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks