• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-804B control panel compatibility with mep-804A?

Hansenbigd

Hi guys just wondering if anyone knows anything about this control panel that was designed for a mep-804B if it will work on my mep-804A model? The panel is on e-bay for sale MILITARY MEP-804B 15KW GENERATOR DIGITAL CONTROL PANEL REMOTE START EASYGEN 2500 | eBay Or does anyone know where i can buy the entire control panel for my A model there was a electrical meld down in mine and more wires then i want to try to replace. Thanks for any help

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe that's even a stock 804b setup, so I don't think anything will be a direct cross here.

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woof... I don't know if it'd work or not, but independent of that question... that's a spicy meatball.

Even assuming you want the remote start capability that would give you, Kurt sells a remote start board for $500, that I can't imagine doesn't have better support than a DRS/Leonardo one that doesn't look to have been common even in the military? I'd imagine you could find yourself a control panel/wiring harness/whole parts machine for <$1800. A buddy of mine just drug home a running, working 804B from a farm auction for <$1k... pretty sure the seller bought it not realizing it can't exactly natively make 1ph power, which seems to be a somewhat regular occurrence with the 804s & 805s.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I could see that control box was designed to upgrade a 804B to be part of a "Micro Grid".
Basically a bunch of generators that can load share and are automatically started and stopped based on load demand on the Micro Grid.

Here is an example using AAMPS gensets

1715032733670.png

1715032888313.png

Hansenbigd

Wow that's actually really cool how that works and quite amazing honestly.. here's what I'm up against I bought a 804A and looking behind the gauges I found a lot of fried wires looks like there was a short in the voltage rotary switch, so long story short I need entire wiring harness rorary switch VR and who knows what else so instead of going through all that I was hoping this upgrade panel would be the way to go..

fb40dash5

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I could see that control box was designed to upgrade a 804B to be part of a "Micro Grid".
Basically a bunch of generators that can load share and are automatically started and stopped based on load demand on the Micro Grid.
That sounds really awesome.

And also really useless with only 1 of them. And, well, probably pretty useless for about all of us with >1 15kw unit, too...

Guyfang

Staff member
The Ebay add actually says it is a 804B. Many differences and you can only get control box parts from DRS. On basic gen water pump, battery alternator, V-Belts and spike protection were all different along with some wiring. Not covered in the 804 TM referenced in their civilian pamphlet that was usually lost. The main gen was different but a 804 worked.

This is from on High.

Hansenbigd

The Ebay add actually says it is a 804B. Many differences and you can only get control box parts from DRS. On basic gen water pump, battery alternator, V-Belts and spike protection were all different along with some wiring. Not covered in the 804 TM referenced in their civilian pamphlet that was usually lost. The main gen was different but a 804 worked.

This is from on High.
So there's a good chance the panel for the B won't work for the A?

Guyfang

Staff member
As is, no.
Many differences and you can only get control box parts from DRS. On basic gen water pump, battery alternator, V-Belts and spike protection were all different along with some wiring.

All of that stuff mentioned is non standard. You would have to change it.

Hansenbigd

As is, no.
Many differences and you can only get control box parts from DRS. On basic gen water pump, battery alternator, V-Belts and spike protection were all different along with some wiring.

All of that stuff mentioned is non standard. You would have to change it.
Ok thank you so much guy I appreciate your time 🙏

Dewie38

No there was no change to the B model genset itself. The idea was to remove the stock control box install the digital box add a few wires to the genset and the set was micro grid capable.
It was an idea so the military could use their existing gensets instead of buying new grid-able sets. When the load reached a certain level the next set would start and parallel and with a reduced load the last set on line would be removed. The idea never took off and DRS eventually went out of the generator business. I wouldnt buy it and was very surprised to see one on ebay.

Hansenbigd

Thank you so much for the info.. so it would work on the A model... it's a nice panel but they want as much as I can get a whole other gen for so I will just keep searching for parts..

Guyfang

Staff member
Dewie wrote;
No there was no change to the B model genset itself. The idea was to remove the stock control box install the digital box add a few wires to the genset and the set was micro grid capable.
It was an idea so the military could use their existing gensets instead of buying new grid-able sets. When the load reached a certain level the next set would start and parallel and with a reduced load the last set on line would be removed. The idea never took off and DRS eventually went out of the generator business. I wouldnt buy it and was very surprised to see one on ebay

I called a senior LAR in CECOM and asked about this control panel. He told me:

"There were many differences and you can only get control box parts from DRS. On basic gen water pump, battery alternator, V-Belts and spike protection were all different along with some wiring. Not covered in the 804 TM referenced in their civilian pamphlet that was usually lost. The main gen was different but a 804 worked."

This was, according to him a Navy project, done without consulting MEP or CECOM.

Dewie38

ok boys and girls lets clear up this confusion
There were differences between the A and B model control panels.
Yes the gensets themselves were different they had different engines in them.
So of course, the water pumps and battery charging alternator were different.
The B engine had an electric fuel pump so in the control box there were wire changes, there was also another resettable dc breaker added to the control box for the different alternator that was used on the B engine.
The whole thing was part of a FIKE (field install kit engine) where you were supposed to be able to take an A model and just change the engine and roll, but that never happened exactly.
What I meant by there were no changes to the B model was that when you install the digital control box the engine/generator set had no changes short of adding a couple of wires for breaker closure I believe.
I know there were changes to the the genset from A to B models.
I worked on the new B model and all the changes that were made from A to B
Guy I have no idea what you are refering to when you say that there was a different main gen.
We went from an Isuzu engine to a Yanmar engine, gen was the same. Also, what spike protection was changed?