• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-80XA fuel solenoid

jamawieb

To start, I just got a 803a in that had the gen head and engine recently replaced. The top panels were removed when I picked it up. My problem is the fuel cutoff solenoid is not getting 24v to retract. It is getting 24v on the hold signal so I can turn s1 to prime/run and pull the solenoid back manually and it will hold and I can start it. Everything else works perfect. The schematic show the pull signal coming from K16 terminal 7. Im not getting 24v there. Then it looks like terminal 7 is feed by terminal 9 which gets power from k12-2. Im getting voltage on k12-2 and k16-9 but it does not go over to terminal 7. I switched relays and same results. Wanted to see if anyone could see something Im missing or had a similar issue.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked for continuity between the pin receptacle on the relay base and the terminal 7 connection?

Also check the same thing on terminal 9.

Having two bad relays is not impossible, but the relay base is part of the circuit chain and easy to validate.

Last edited:

jamawieb

Have you checked for continuity between the pin receptacle on the relay base and the terminal 7 connection?

Also check the same thing on terminal 9.

Having two bad relays is not impossible, but the relay base is part of the circuit chain and easy to validate.
Yes i did that too. I was thinking maybe the connector broke inside the housing but it had continuity between all the terminals and related connectors for the relay.

Digger556

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you verified K16 is pulling in? They make a pretty good click when energized. Also, pull the relay and manually apply power to the coil, then verify 7 and 9 are connecting.

Another thing to do is manually jumper 7 to 9. 9 should only be energized when K2 is pulled in. Then check the fuel solenoid function.

Last edited:

jamawieb

Made a mistake on how the k16 relay works. Power comes in on k16-4 from the k2 cranking relay. After I figured that out I tested continuity from tb4-6 where the k2 feeds and did not have continuity between the 2. So I took off J6 plug and found the issue. Look at number 36 plug. I cleaned it up and reassembled. Works perfect. Hope this can help someone in the future.
20230804_144254.jpg

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a mistake on how the k16 relay works. Power comes in on k16-4 from the k2 cranking relay. After I figured that out I tested continuity from tb4-6 where the k2 feeds and did not have continuity between the 2. So I took off J6 plug and found the issue. Look at number 36 plug. I cleaned it up and reassembled. Works perfect. Hope this can help someone in the future.
View attachment 902810
Corrosion in this plug is common. Glad you found the problem. Might make a note in your TM as to the situation you had and the remedy for future reference.