• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP005A frequency meter not working.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't find it then. Is it on the motor or elsewhere?
Since @Guyfang thinks that you have a temp sensor installed for the “diesel fired heater”, which is correctly called winterization kit and we have not had a 360 degree view of your generator with all possible doors open posted as pictures, I would suggest you do that.

We are hundred, if not thousands of miles away from you and your generator and we do not possess crystal balls which show us the internals of your generator.

The installation of a winterization kit requires the modification of the coolant circuit and the electrical wiring.
The winterization kit has a lockout where the generator won’t crank when the pump and heater are running and then, when pump and heater are stopped, a lockout if the coolant temperature is below 120 degrees. You can start the generator but it won’t stay running.

At this point we don’t know if the entire winterization kit is still installed and or what parts where removed.

I would check all coolant hoses and radiator for sensors, pumps heaters etc

and post pictures, many many pictures

yohanusmarcus

I wasn't suggesting that Guyfang had a crystal ball or could some how miraculously figure out my problem with this machine. He's been extremely helpful. That being said, I did find in the -12 tm that it's supposed to be in the thermostat housing. So I will check that in the morning. It doesn't have the winterizing kit installed, but may have some time in it's past. I will endeavor to take photographs as well. Does the site allow video? I can do that as well.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wasn't suggesting that Guyfang had a crystal ball or could some how miraculously figure out my problem with this machine. He's been extremely helpful. That being said, I did find in the -12 tm that it's supposed to be in the thermostat housing. So I will check that in the morning. It doesn't have the winterizing kit installed, but may have some time in it's past. I will endeavor to take photographs as well. Does the site allow video? I can do that as well.
I think video can only be posted through YouTube as embedded link

IMG_9863.png

when you use the media button

Guyfang

Staff member
The two taped up wire are for the heater.

1709999092535.png
Oil press switch.
1709999154767.png

Oil sending unit.
1709999227116.png

Temp sending unit.
1709999324273.png
Temp switch. Right behind the day tank.
1709999596201.jpeg

Guyfang

Staff member
In the dark, with a flashlight in my mouth, wind blowing and the thermometer at 12 degrees! Yes sir. That will motivate you!!

Also, the sending units. You can unscrew the outer "can" and look inside. Both the oil press switch and the temp switch. It is very common that a wire inside the switch breaks off. Simple solder job and its fixed. Was always a kinda weak spot on these type switches. I think its just 3 tiny screws.

Now, I am going off to listen to loud music, until 01:00. Sadly, its lent, and I don't drink during lent, (Other than my birthday) So Peter, keep a weather eye out here.

What are the two red wires? where do they go?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The red wires go to a key switch I think the city it belonged to installed to prevent unauthorized starting. I plan to remove it since I don't have the key.
Have you tried to connect the two red wires (actually red / white)

IMG_9868.jpeg

Then my next question would be, are any of these electrical parts still installed (only electrical not the fittings)
IMG_9865.jpeg

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is it used for?
This is the control circuit for the winterization kit and since we still have existing wiring from this kit in your generator I figured we may want to rule this kit out as failure cause.

The heater unit has been removed which is indicated by the two taped wires. These wires end somewhere.

Other than that, the next check would be to bench test the A5 Circuit as @Guyfang had pointed out in an earlier post.

I usually use a variable AC source like this here for these tests

IMG_9869.jpeg

yohanusmarcus

I don't have a a variable power source but I can manage a 24 vdc supply. It will take me some time to complete as I'll have to remove it again and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I'll take some pictures to make sure I'm testing the right part.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks