• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

military convoy

calvnatter

the past couple weeks iv been seeing a military convoy driving by my work. and was wandering if any one has had thoughts or has had joined in on the convoy with their own military trucks. if so what would thay have done?

DLJ

I drove in a convoy on I 94, Saturday, for a couple of miles with my pckup. But they were too slow . They didn't seem to care.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It may be a Reserve or National Guard unit doing drivers training.

I would not advise trying to join a real military convoy due to the threat briefings that units get all the time.

I doubt if they are carrying weapons or ammo but you might get a vist from some guys in dark suits driving black Surburbans.

Homeland Security people take their jobs very seriously.

SMOKEWAGON66

I see convoys alot...the NTC isnt far from me. Last week I merged onto the freeway at 2345 after work into a 15 truck convoy of PLS's. I would roll with them but 75mph is so much better then 50-ish when you want to get home after work lol. I wonder what they would think if an old deuce did just kinda merge and roll with them for a ways...probably be like WTH? lol

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may be a Reserve or National Guard unit doing drivers training.

I would not advise trying to join a real military convoy due to the threat briefings that units get all the time.

I doubt if they are carrying weapons or ammo but you might get a vist from some guys in dark suits driving black Surburbans.

Homeland Security people take their jobs very seriously.
Real convoys aren't carrying ammo. They may have weapons, but ammo is very tightly controlled. The only time ammo is off base is if they are using a range that is not directly on base. Most ammo is shipped by civilians commercially.
As far as the black suburbans, I'd think they'd use faster commercial type trucks than the military ones for their secret squirrel operations.

flighht2k5

Banned
Real convoys aren't carrying ammo. They may have weapons, but ammo is very tightly controlled. The only time ammo is off base is if they are using a range that is not directly on base. Most ammo is shipped by civilians commercially.
As far as the black suburbans, I'd think they'd use faster commercial type trucks than the military ones for their secret squirrel operations.
I've convoyed many times with ammo. If they are going to the field they probably have some ammo or pyro.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've convoyed many times with ammo. If they are going to the field they probably have some ammo or pyro.
Other than blanks and Pyro, I've never seen live ammo just go to the field. It always went directly to and from the range and the ammo dump. Nothing stayed out overnight. Range control didn't clear until ammo was turned in. But that may have been different overseas in Germany or something, just my experience.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the point of trying to merge with a convoy? All your going to do is screw up the convoy, and potentially cause problems. Be a considerate driver, and stay in your lane, both figureatively and litterally.

rickf

More than once I have been waved into the convoy line at JBMDL. I live along the ranges so I have to use the same road as they do and yes they are armed with live ammo. Difference being is that I am waved into the line by them, it is obvious I am not military. I am in civvies and driving a 50 year old M151. Blend in the line, space and speed consistent, and everyone is happy. When I pull out there is always a lot of honking and waving. One time they decided it was a good place to have lunch and the whole **** convoy stopped where I pulled off! I got free lunch and everyone milled about the jeep taking pics. I would not do it out on the highway, as was said that might be construed as a threat.

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I had my m52 in Ca, I merged into or grabed a rear spot of convoys quite a few times, I lived between CAMP SAN LOUIS (sp?) and Camp Roberts, NEVER showed plates, If I was merging, they just slowed and let me in, sometimes with a wave, really not sure if they knew I was private owned or not because there was a NG unit in Atascadero and I wore shirts/jackets that matched the 4 color desert camo of the truck.

flighht2k5

Banned
Enroute to where? (you don't have to be specific, I mean like to a range, FTX, etc) And I imagine it was all crated, not in mags or trays.
It was crated. We went to an FTX way out in the middle of no where. One of the other units also brought demo out in the back of the lmtv engeneering dump trucks.

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was driving to Charleston, SC empty with my m915a1 (tan) and my M967 tanker (green)

Got on the on ramp at I-77, and when I got to the top, there was a 12 deep convoy of brand spanking NEW M915a5's :drool: (tan) with m967 tankers (green) A short tiny little black girl driving one gave me several double takes, then slowed down (we were kind of pacing as I was coming up the on ramp, she had the seat bottomed out to reach the pedals) and motioned me in line. I rode 4 deep for about 15 miles, but then started to get passed, as I wasn't going fast enough! and I had her floored to try to keep up with the trucks ahead of me!!!!:driver:

Got horn salutes from the following 8 trucks, the bobtail, and the Hmmvee guy bent out the window and gave me a thumbs up when they went buy. It was pretty cool, wish the M915a1 had had the faster tranny in it, they probably would have let me ride the whole way with them.

APM215

I passed a convoy north on the 400 in my M35 once. The funny part was the convoy was mostly MLVW’s. (CDN version of the M35)
Got a bunch of funny looks from the drivers as I went by. All the trucks had student drivers sings on them. Keep in mind I live in Canada and the only thing we consider a threat is the beer store running out of beer.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

I pulled out of a gas station and my friend's M818 was following me. We stopped at a light and looked behind us and there was a humvee and 2 FMTVs with some national guard guys. We had to pull over a short ways down the road to fix something and they gave us a WTH? look when they passed us.

Other than that incident, I steer clear of the real deal.

shadowrwolf

lol in Va we had cars jumping in the middle all the time.
as for the ammo the navy dos travle with 1 loaded firearm per vehicle and thats only to stop someone from hijacking the trucks or guns.
i dont think homeland security cares about traing convoys

rickf

I would think if someone were going to hijack guns from a military convoy they would be prepared for a lot more than one gun per vehicle. That type of an operation would be fairly well thought out and planned.

Rick

sandcobra164

I've taken my trucks in National Guard convoys for the convenience of having a personal vehicle during annual training. Sure, the Deuce or CUCV looks a little out of place being as they now have FMTV's and HMMWV's but there was a time that they blended right in. They still sorta do, it's just one of those older vehicles they still have around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks