• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

More engine problems (Documentation of testing fuel system, failure of Hyd Head)

dutchguy

Well I discovered my engine is "making oil". Pulled the fuel shut off cover from the IP and kicked on the fuel pump. There was a nice steady drip coming from in there. I knew something wasn't right since it started taking FOREVER for my truck to crank.

Anyways, where is a good source to acquire the 3 o-rings needed to fix this problem? I would call my normal parts stores but they don't believe in being open on Saturdays apparently.
I won't try to diagnose the drip problem, it could be the fuel control rod O-ring. This has been stated as being a -013 O-ring, usually widely available in many different materials. That's what I used, in Buna-N rubber. As far as the 3 O-rings:
HH Upper 2.484 ID x .139 -230
HH Lower 2.109 ID x .139 -227
Fuel Control Rod 0.426 ID x .070 -013

If you are only replacing the control rod seal, you won't need the other two. I got the two HH seals from Memphis Equipment, just asked for the upper and lower O-rings for the hydraulic head, they knew what they were.

welldigger

I won't try to diagnose the drip problem, it could be the fuel control rod O-ring. This has been stated as being a -013 O-ring, usually widely available in many different materials. That's what I used, in Buna-N rubber. As far as the 3 O-rings:
HH Upper 2.484 ID x .139 -230
HH Lower 2.109 ID x .139 -227
Fuel Control Rod 0.426 ID x .070 -013

If you are only replacing the control rod seal, you won't need the other two. I got the two HH seals from Memphis Equipment, just asked for the upper and lower O-rings for the hydraulic head, they knew what they were.
Thanks. That is exactly the information I needed. I don't know which of the 3 o-rings is leaking so I'm just going to replace all 3 and be done with it. I know my HH is fine since once I get it started it runs fine. Then if I kill the truck and don't wait more than about 15 min it fires up within a second. I believe what's happening is the HH is draining empty when it sits for an extended period so the long initial crank time it the HH and injector lines re-pressurizing. I originally thought it was the fuel return lines leaking so I replaced those and it got worse. WTH? Then it hit me I should check the oil. Sure enough it has made a couple quarts.

dutchguy

I'll bet you are onto something. I am BY FAR not an expert, but it makes sense that if the lower O-ring was leaking, the HH would drain. One other thing that I've picked up on in the forums is that a leaky plunger could cause you to "gain oil". Hope that isn't the case. Good luck.

jsthnt@gmail.com

Patracy Did you get your HH replaced, and if so, did it help. Did you replace the O-rings when you did this. I see that you run waste oil from your first post. Do you have to run a different type of o-ring if you run wvo?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Patracy Did you get your HH replaced, and if so, did it help. Did you replace the O-rings when you did this. I see that you run waste oil from your first post. Do you have to run a different type of o-ring if you run wvo?
Did you read the thread?

Post 59 and on...

welldigger

I'll bet you are onto something. I am BY FAR not an expert, but it makes sense that if the lower O-ring was leaking, the HH would drain. One other thing that I've picked up on in the forums is that a leaky plunger could cause you to "gain oil". Hope that isn't the case. Good luck.
Well I would think if the plunger itself was leaking then I would either never get it started or it would run like crap. I do NOT have to use starting fluid to crank it and it runs like a top once started. But, I could be wrong. The o-rings are a cheap thing to replace so I'll start there and see how it goes.

On that note I'm ordering a quite a few of the 3 sizes needed to do the job as we speak. I'm getting them in viton since that material has a wider and higher temperature range than buna-n (nitrile). It is also compatible with more solvents and fuels.

If anyone needs a set p.m. me and I'll be happy to help.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I would think if the plunger itself was leaking then I would either never get it started or it would run like crap. I do NOT have to use starting fluid to crank it and it runs like a top once started. But, I could be wrong. The o-rings are a cheap thing to replace so I'll start there and see how it goes.

On that note I'm ordering a quite a few of the 3 sizes needed to do the job as we speak. I'm getting them in viton since that material has a wider and higher temperature range than buna-n (nitrile). It is also compatible with more solvents and fuels.

If anyone needs a set p.m. me and I'll be happy to help.
Welldigger,

Yes, I can use a set. Give me instruction. I use PayPal.

Thanks,
Orren

no, EGT would go down with less fuel. there is no such thing as a lean condition in a diesel, just low power from lack of fuel.
That is why it makes no sense to me as why they go up. But My truck is driven six days a week on 100% used oil. When the EGTs start climbing I change the filters and they go back down. It has to be something to do with the injector pump or unbalanced cylinder output that runs them up. Maybe its that only the lighter oils can get through the filters. I don't know. I just change the filters.

I also might note that the advance unit in my old injector pump was failing so my timing was off. Probably had been off since I bought the truck as I only recovered 2 of the three spring from the advance unit. Time will tell if it still send the EGTs up when the filters start plugging. May never know as I now replace the water separator one a month and the primary and secondary every other month. Even with road tax and filters I'm saving a bazillion dollars in fuel cost.

But you are right, EGTs should not go up just because truck is starved for fuel so it's a mystery to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks