• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Dmax EGTs

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was asked about the EGTs running a 475HP tune on another thread but did not want to hijack that thread so here is my answer.

I could easily push them into the 1400s with the 475HP tune,
With the 365HP tune and busting a 30-35mph head wind (20-30 is VERY common down here on the Coastal Plains) I am running around 1200-1250@75-80MPH which is starting to get uncomfortable so I normally back off until I get under 1200, the Duramax normally runs a higher EGT than say the 6.5L.
1350-1400 is considered MAX for any length of time and up to 1800 in the 1/4 mile, any of those numbers would likely immediately melt the 6.5L but are OK for the Duramax.
Normal cruising without a strong head wind I run around 1000-1050@75-80MPH (my normal cruising speed) the wind makes a big difference, down wind I often see 900 or so.
Just 3-4MPH can make a big difference.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah 1400 for a bit of time is rolling the dice. What's the max RPMs on the Duramax? My son has a 2003 5.9 and he tries to keep it under 3200 RPMs but it will obviously go higher.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is governed at 3450 under load and 4800 max braking, so at least valve float is not a problem at 4800.
I have read several accounts where folks push them to 4500 with no apparent issues, but POWER/VS/RPM really starts to drop off at 3700 or so.
I have not worked out the numbers but I have the speed limits removed from my tune and have seen the 120 MPH GPS speedo stop at 120 MPH (will not go any farther) I did not think to look at the tach, things were getting a little exciting with no top or doors.
Actually I just worked out the numbers and 120 MPH would be about 3375 RPM.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
120 in a Hmmwv must be wild lol
It was not bad, it did not do anything scary, I have been allot faster on scooters back in the day, the only thing crazy or maybe stupid was I still had the original 1993 tires on it.
But I had just built it and wanted to see what it would do but had not changed the 3450RPM gov, so it would have topped out at about 122MPH
I never claimed I always make wise choices.
I did blow out the two aftermarket CV shafts boots, but anything above 85 or so does that, I have had no issues with factory CV shafts or aftermarket shafts with factory boots.

YOLO :ROFLMAO:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was not bad, it did not do anything scary, I have been allot faster on scooters back in the day, the only thing crazy or maybe stupid was I still had the original 1993 tires on it.
But I had just built it and wanted to see what it would do but had not changed the 3450RPM gov, so it would have topped out at about 122MPH
I never claimed I always make wise choices.
I did blow out the two aftermarket CV shafts boots, but anything above 85 or so does that, I have had no issues with factory CV shafts or aftermarket shafts with factory boots.

YOLO :ROFLMAO:

I thought HMMWV tires are "Z" rated. LOL

Blow out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks