• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My M101A3...new to MV

harleyhouse

I went with a cast ball / pintle combo and It works great!
2" ball for the civilain trailers and a pintle for hauling green toys home.

What color is the Excursion?

I like the trailers painted a light color.
The only problem with black is that it absorbs heat.
The black items on my trailer get too hot to touch in the summer heat.

Here is my red 101A2 and an Expo members 101A1

Attachments

ptrjason

I did forget about the heat issue. Well another color I am thinking now is the desert tan, always loved that color with OD writing on it. And if I ever get bows and canvas for it, it will look right at home with the tan.

And my Expedition is white, "Oxford White, YZ" to be exact.

Scarecrow1

You my friend have found a winner , The trailer looks great and I am sure you will have a blast with it . BEWARE that's how I started and now I can't and don't want to stop :) . Welcome from SC and enjoy this site . Their are some of the best guys in the world on here and we all have the same sickness

slkw1llie

Im a newbie looking to get a m101a2 to fit out for camping and expedition type use. what is the EUC, why do I need it and where do I get it? maybe a dumb question but I keep seeing it referred to but not an explanation.

Thanks.

ptrjason

Im a newbie looking to get a m101a2 to fit out for camping and expedition type use. what is the EUC, why do I need it and where do I get it? maybe a dumb question but I keep seeing it referred to but not an explanation.

Thanks.

Since I was just about to post about my EUC, I will give you my best shot.

And....My EUC was just sent to Battle Creek today!! Cant wait!!!

EUC Is End User Certificate.

It is basically a form you have to fill out telling the Gov't that you do not plan on selling or exporting the surplus to any foregin country OR person, espically countries that we do not like. You can get a form to export stuff but it is a different process.

You do not have to fill one out until you win an auction that requires one. Mostly vehicles. And you can NOT pick up anything until it clears and you are approved.

It is basically a background check on you, they need it to verify you are a US Cit, and all that stuff.

ptrjason

Welcome to the site. I am a new person as well on here, so there are others with a LOT more information then me. I just won my first trailer last week, and and new to the process as well. So good luck on anything you maybe bidding on. My trailer is my first surplus item, and I hope it will not be my last.

Welcome! You stole that trailer for that price! I paid 3 times that for mine. You will love that trailer. I just hauled 3500 lbs. of oak rounds from my mountain property home to Marin and 0 problems! Surge brake performed perfectly. Did your's come with bows,sides,and cover? They complete the package. Good score.Post pics after recovery.
Makes it easy when they are selling 100s at once.

The 7 hole riser will be fine. They are rated to 10,000lbs and we use many at work without any problems towing heavy loads.

If you have a compressor, take it with you as the tires may be flat when you get there or severely under inflated.

Having a picture with the jack handle may help it may not. It helped me get a missing tarp for one of mine.

If you want to get tags easy and cheap register it in Maine. http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Pintle-Hook-Mount-3KYA6?Pid=search

1151 Columbia Avenue, Riverside, CA

Hitch at grainger near you

Last edited:

ptrjason

Thanks for the info, I forgot all about grainger, and I just got done ordering my bulbs from bulbs.com, and then I ordered 50 bullet connectors for 8 bucks on ebay as well as my cushioned riser for 96, and the pintle/ball combo for 70 on ebay too.

As far as the registration, California only allows out of state registrations for a period of 10-days. If you are a resident of the state, you must have your vehilce registered here, or you can be cited.

As far as the fees, for a 5-year plate, it is only 20.00. And then 10.00 every 5 years after that. Which is a **** of a lot cheaper then the Maine plates :)

And titles are only 19.00 for trailers. Now I may have to pay 14-24 for a VIN inspection by CHP or other law enforcement to say that it does or does not have a VIN so the DMV can issue me one.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/fees/trailer.htm

But in the end I plan on getting the SP97, and going to the DMV with it as well as getting a VIN inspection even I dont need one in the end. I rather limit my time in the DMV to the least amount of time I can. I am going to fill out any and all forms that seem like it might have anything to do with the process, and a VIN inspection, and the SF-97 form with me. that way if they I wait an hour, get to the window and in 5 min they say I need this or that, I will have it and not have to go somewhere else, or wait 30 days for a form, just to make another trip back there, and wait another hour or two.

Only thing I am worried about is when I go down there, if they will give me a hassle because I will be registering it after the 10-day window of when I picked it up. (they also require you to register anything you get withing 10-days of taking possession of it.) But they do not enforce the laws. It is only CHP or PD I have to worry about while towing it down there.

The only thing that may cost me on the registration is the fact I MAY want to get 9/11 Memorial plates for it, which are about 50.00 and 40.00 each year for renewal. I just ordered a set last night for my truck online. But I think they look pretty cool, and the money goes towards California Homeland Security.
memorial_150.jpg

Ah, didn't know Kalifornia was cheap and easy to tag a trailer.

Oh and take a bolt or hitch pin so you can lock the surge brakes out if they are not working properly. Can't remember if it's 3/8 or 5/8.

ptrjason

Yeah neither did I until I was looking it up. But they screw us on vehicle registrations.

Thank you for the info on the brakes, I did not know you could lock them out. Another thing I need to add on my list of things to take.

Only thing I am worried about is when I go down there, if they will give me a hassle because I will be registering it after the 10-day window of when I picked it up. (they also require you to register anything you get withing 10-days of taking possession of it.)
You should have no problem with this.
They really don't enforce this rule, and if you are questioned, you were just getting the trailer road worthy for your inspection.
I'm sure It wont even be an issue.

ptrjason

Yeah, I figured. I have been on that side of the badge before, I could care less about little stuff like that. Its just CHP I need to worry about it while taking it down there, but hey if I get stopped, they will look for a VIN anyway, so I will probably just hand them the paper work and go, hey can you sign this too ;)

Where at in the IE?

Funny thing, I'm sure you can relate, whenever I get passed by LEO with military equipment I just get a wave and a smile.
There are so many other crazy things happening on the 15 in between Barstow and your home, that I imagine you are the last thing the CHP has to worry about.

I'm just north of Upland in Mt.Baldy.

ptrjason

Yeah I am not worried about it at all the day I get it. I will have all my paper work and stuff from the purchase. Your allowed 10 days from when you get it to register it. As long as you have a bill of sale, you USAULLY do not need a temp tag or anything to take it home.

I also do not planned on being messed with when I finally make the trip to the DMV, but that is when it only takes one stickler to say "Well your paper work shows you picked it up on this date, and here we are like 2 months later and you have not registered it, and everyone always says they are on the way to the DMV when they get pulled over so why should I believe you?"

Oh well I will have all my paper work to show I am going to the DMV anyway.

On a side note, what paint is the best to get to paint it "sand" or tan? Anyone use any special named stuff? I want to rattle can it, as I do not have a paint sprayer or a garage, so it will be in open air, and rattle can should be easier to work with. Home Depot has a few 6-packs but none of the tan or sand colors.

I want to do a nice desert tan like what is on the USMC rigs, with OD stencils. Also what size are the stencils that are usually used on trailers or does it matter? I found some nice inter-locking brass sets on ebay, but they have a few different sizes.

MarcusOReallyus

On a side note, what paint is the best to get to paint it "sand" or tan? Anyone use any special named stuff? I want to rattle can it, as I do not have a paint sprayer

I recently got a reconditioned Campell-Hausfeld HVLP sprayer for 50 bucks from Amazon. It's not going to make a professional body man happy, but it does a good enough job for me. It's sure better than a rattle can job. :beer:

harleyhouse

Go with the 12.99 Harbor freight HVLP gun. I did ny trailers with it and it worked great!
as for stencils find an engraving shop with a table top laser and cut them out on fiber board of mylar.
or a vinyl shop and cut a paint mask.

ptrjason

Go with the 12.99 Harbor freight HVLP gun. I did ny trailers with it and it worked great!
as for stencils find an engraving shop with a table top laser and cut them out on fiber board of mylar.
or a vinyl shop and cut a paint mask.
Do you have a link you can PM me with the HF paint gun? I am searching their site and it seems they no longer have one, or the price went up. Does it hook to an air compressor, or is it electric? I do NOT have an air compressor, or I would like to go with an electric one, or maybe bite the bullet down the road and get a compressor, I need one anyway, and it will allow me to actually get some air tools to change tires and stuff.

I think I will get the stencils from ebay as they look pretty nice, and I can use them over and over, and they are only like 25 bucks, so not bad at all, that I think. And I plan on painting my name or something under it, so if its ever stolen, I doubt they will look under it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks