• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My m923a2: Gauges, Air Filter Mod and Sound System

Cole667

Hi, I recently purchased my first mv, A 1990 BMY m923a2. I have done a few mods that I think you guys would like to see. First I installed boost and EGT gauges. They are Glowshift brand and mounted in an Ebay double gauge pod on the side of the shifter housing. They are powered by a 24V-12V Ebay voltage converter box mounted on the inside of the side panel for the shifter housing along with a 12V outlet that is also powered by the converter box. The egt probe is tapped into the exhaust manifold and the boost gauge is mechanical and hooked into the old fitting for the starting fluid injection. After the installation of gauges, I installed 3K rpm governor springs and turned up the pump. After the pump mods, I noticed my air filter restriction gauge was able to be pegged even with a brand new filter. I decided to add a second filter under the hood. I fish mouthed and welded a piece of 4" exhaust pipe on the intake tube to make a Tee for a second filter. The filter is one I had laying around (WIX 42790). Now the restriction gauge barely moves. I also installed a stereo system. It is a Jensen marine AM/FM/AUX/USB radio. It is round and looks like it belongs in the dashboard. It is also powered by the voltage converter box. I mounted pyle marine speakers in the door panels and a pyle marine mini speaker box on the back cab wall between the seats.

Cole

Attachments

Ford Mechanic

That air filter would have been better placed else where. You get more power from cooler air, that one will be pulling hot air off that engine. There are other air filters that flow more air that fit into your original air box. Other wise good job

74M35A2

That air filter would have been better placed else where. You get more power from cooler air, that one will be pulling hot air off that engine. There are other air filters that flow more air that fit into your original air box. Other wise good job
People say the small filter flows better in the OE housing, but I have not found anywhere where that is yet proved by data. Agree on the cooler air (1% for every 10 degrees approximate for a gasoline engine), but here he was creative on lowering the restriction, which may provide more benefit even given a partial draw of warmer air from under hood.

I give full credit for innovation, and retaining water fording capability up to such added filter level. I bet his restriction gauge now sits on zero, unlike ours which is right at the replacement line, even with a brand new filter in it.

Intake pipe mushroom cap is also a place of suspected restriction. Same outer size as M35A2, but larger inner pipe, so less screen area, and feeding larger engine. Ugh.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks