• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new M101A2

jimmy-90

I just got home with my new trailer a couple hours ago. I won the Gov Liquidation auction for it for $315.00 and picked it up from Havre De Grace MD. No EUC was required. Now I just have to get it tagged here in VA. Does anyone know which number is the VIN on these things?

Attachments

Nonotagain

Looks like the trailer once had a generator mounted inside the bed with the placement of the holes.

You had a nice drive from Haymarket to Havre de Grace.

I was in your neck of the woods a week or so ago picking up some alloy wheels for a project car. The 7-11 on VA-234 must be landscaper central.

Nice A2 for the money. You could just run "Farm tags" on the trailer.

koolex11

You're going to love that trailer. What are you planning to do with it?

The serial number is usually a very small number, 3-5 numerals. That causes problems in my state (and probably VA) with titling and registration because there is another vehicle out there with the same VIN. For example, the M101 in the avatar shared a VIN with a 1906 Cadillac! So the state had to issue a new VIN, which took a bleeping long time.

With my most recent trailer I tried something different. You see GL allows you to give any VIN you want when you fill out the SF-97. So I stamped a super-long VIN on my trailer and HOPEFULLY the state won't reject this one.

If anybody else has gone this route, I would love to hear the outcome!

Hope this helps

jimmy-90

I just submitted the sf-97 today through gov lquidation's site. They said it may take up to a month to get a title out to me. I just put in the vin# that was on the trailer. Hopefully I wont get more hassle from the dmv out here. In the mean time im gonna start cleaning it up some and re paint it, fab up some bigger side rails, and get my M1028 re wired for that plug. I changed both bumpers on my truck so the original plug is not on it. I still have the rear bumper though so I can just take the plug off and re mount and wire it to the truck. The bigger side rails are to haul brush with. That's mostly what I do and I do a pretty good bit of that these days. And also I've seen pics of your trailer before Koolex11 and that thing looks great. Im thinking im gonna paint mine black underneath, the bed silver and the side rails black also. I have acces to a sand blaster so I can take the rust and nasty spot off with ease. I plan to paint it with rustbullet paint. Except the wood parts.

harleyhouse

I like RED!

I went with RED to match my truck and so all the idiots drivers talking on their cell phones can't miss it!

I love my trailer and it does draw a lot of looks when I pull it.
They are built like a brick S*** house!

I guess I am still a little kid,
When I was little I pulled my Little RED RADIO FLYER wagon everywhere, Now I have a Little RED M101A2 wagon to pull!

Attachments

koolex11

Oooh silver. I like the sound of that. Be sure to post pics of your progress! I love working on these trailers. I would buy another one this week, but I need to sell one first. Your underside looks great. You shouldn't have much blasting to do there except for the springs.

jimmy-90

Are you planning on blasting all the paint off to bare metal? Or just going to blast the rust off and paint over the carc?
Im not sure yet. I would love to take the bed off and blast every inch of the bed and frame and then seal the whole thing with rustbullet paint. Rustbullet is very similar to POR15 and it is ok to expose it to direct sunlight un like the POR15. I've used rustbullet on other things and it is definately a strong sealer but it is not real easy to work with compared to regular paint. Im thinking silver because it will make a really good base if I get a wild hair and decide to take some spray cans and attempt to make it into urban camo.

jimmy-90

Looks like the trailer once had a generator mounted inside the bed with the placement of the holes.

You had a nice drive from Haymarket to Havre de Grace.

I was in your neck of the woods a week or so ago picking up some alloy wheels for a project car. The 7-11 on VA-234 must be landscaper central.

Nice A2 for the money. You could just run "Farm tags" on the trailer.
Lol that 7-11 at VA-234 and RT-15 is pretty much the only thing out this way. If you are heading out to Bull Run Mountain that 7-11 is about the only land mark out here. I live about 1.6 miles away from that 7-11 on the mountain side. I made it out to Havre De Grace in just under 3 hours. I didn't drive my M1028 though. If I did that I'd probly just now be getting back. I went down there in a RAV 4 which is why I selected a trailer hitch with so many mounting options for the pintle.

armadillofz1

why not tag through maine? its $90 for a 5 year metal plate and no title required. 1 letter with a $90 check and 7 days later i had a metal Maine plate on my trailer. cant be beat.

Wolf.Dose

Same serial as a 1906 vehicle, different maker. Are these people stupid or brainless? So I as a motor vehicle expert do not see any problem with that and of course no reason to provide a new VIN. VINs are repeated by hundreds of different makers. A VIN is only something trustable in connection with a maker.
And these people had never the experiance with british trailer makers, where they start every year with 0001. The difference is the year of make (or not,with some makers not traceable).
Hope this heps to understand the situation.
Wolf

koolex11

why not tag through maine? its $90 for a 5 year metal plate and no title required. 1 letter with a $90 check and 7 days later i had a metal Maine plate on my trailer. cant be beat.
It's not the registration/tags that are the problem. I need a title for resale. People around here don't buy trailers without titles. Not that I'm in the trailer-flipping business. I just buy and sell things as a hobby. Don't even make any money usually, just enough to buy the next thing and continue feeding my obsessions. I understand that the state is protecting property owners and doing the best to ensure an item isn't stolen, but the waiting and fees do tie me up.

koolex11

Same serial as a 1906 vehicle, different maker. Are these people stupid or brainless? So I as a motor vehicle expert do not see any problem with that and of course no reason to provide a new VIN. VINs are repeated by hundreds of different makers. A VIN is only something trustable in connection with a maker.
And these people had never the experiance with british trailer makers, where they start every year with 0001. The difference is the year of make (or not,with some makers not traceable).
Hope this heps to understand the situation.
Wolf
Agreed. Why do they even bother to type the make/model on a document if it has no bearing on the identification of a vehicle? If government really wants to fix our economy, they would put more effort into making commerce flow more quickly. Then we would all prosper a little more rather than sitting around waiting to get paid.2cents

jimmy-90

Government Liquidation finally sent me an Arizona title the other day which cost me I think $77.00. Today I went to the DMV out here and they gave me a VA. title and permanent tags. Everything went well but they charged me $120.00 for that. I have almost as much money tied up in tags n title as I spent on the whole trailer lol. At least I didn't have to do the EUC thing. Now for the paint and restoration. I'll probly start another thread for that since there is alot of up-grades I plan on doing.

bullfrog1234

I had to have the SF 97 and then have the state police conduct an inspection. The trooper used the serial number and the DMV accepted it. I then had to stamp the number on the frame above the fuse box because the data plates can be removed.