• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My new to me xm211

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what I got myself into but I am the new owner of a 52 XM211. ITS RUNS GREAT 55mph is no issue . . stops good. Looks fantastic and has had lots of love over the past 12 years by the previous owner.
Rear main seal is leaking, Front axle does not engage in reverse and not so sure it does going forward .
Trans is filled with 30 wt oil and I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

these trucks seem to generate very strong opinions with people . Lots of negative stuff.

And for a pavement queen I don’t see the big deal in not having low range if you go with a new trans if and when the hydramatic goes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not sure what I got myself into but I am the new owner of a 52 XM211. ITS RUNS GREAT 55mph is no issue . . stops good. Looks fantastic and has had lots of love over the past 12 years by the previous owner.
Rear main seal is leaking, Front axle does not engage in reverse and not so sure it does going forward .
Trans is filled with 30 wt oil and I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

these trucks seem to generate very strong opinions with people . Lots of negative stuff.

And for a pavement queen I don’t see the big deal in not having low range if you go with a new trans if and when the hydramatic goes.
Well, everybody has an opinion. I am thinking it is a darn good looking truck to me. Best part is that it is DIFFERENT. Not as many of these as a lot of other MV's so it has a more appeal...

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You definitely do need to see very many of them . Maybe because so many have gone to the great junk yard in the sky lol. Really I think the biggest issue is parts due to such a short production run although they did serve the military for over 30 years. I figure it can’t be harder to get parts for than my Fv436 British APC.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You definitely do need to see very many of them . Maybe because so many have gone to the great junk yard in the sky lol. Really I think the biggest issue is parts due to such a short production run although they did serve the military for over 30 years. I figure it can’t be harder to get parts for than my Fv436 British APC.
I don't know that they have anything these days but 40 years ago White Owl over in Kinston NC was a source. Good guys too. RH Bouligny was one of their customers when I turned wrenches back then.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always liked their front design more than the M44-series deuces . .Had a XM211 long ago and almost bought a nice clean M215 discovered (with tons of jimmy stuff in an estates collection I did not know about) , 30 miles down the road from me .. But sanity came into my head and told me I cannot buy the stuff, cannot get rid of the ton of what I already have .. My sons say if I don't do something beforehand in time, there's gonna be a week-long onsite auction the minute I am buried , and they know how to light the big torch set for what doesn't sell, .. Look in a TM or download one from this site.. If I recall correctly, motor oil is supposed to be in the tranny. Motor oil is highly-common in hydraulics of trucks and farm tractors of the 40's-50's , in fact, I had one tractor I tried modern 32W hyd oil with back in the early 80s and the minute the system warmed up, it could barely lift the load .. Tolerances (clearances) in the earlier pumps and systems were designed for heavier oils

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks