• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Phony 1009

superburban

I picked up an 86 Civvie Blazer for $400! I put a used transfer-case in it, welded up the exhaust, replaced the throttle shaft seals in the IP (did I mention that it has a 6.2 diesel?), and put a junkyard front driveline into it. I'm into this thing less than $700 including registration and insurance!

We took it to Moab last weekend to play on the slickrock. Even without a lift, this thing did amazingly well on Fins-N-Things. Do these things have Posi axles?

Anyway, my plan is to paint this to mimick the cammo M1009. I hope to find a grill/brushguard/front bumper for it at some point. I'm going to insall a 6" lift, and larger tires (like 35" BFGs or maybe 36" HMMWV tires).

Even though this is not going to be an authentic MV in any way. I wanted an MV theme, yet still retaining power windows, power locks, 12v electrical system.

Here's some video of it playing on the rocks:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIIojph46d8[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUZJM3sza-Y&feature=related[/media]

Attachments

Boreal21

I was in Moab last weekend too.... didn't see you tho. We stuck mainly around the Hwy 131 stuff... metal masher, wipeout hill, hey joe canyon etc.

Anxious to see your faux 1009 progress.

superburban

are you going to get MV bumpers for the black out kit
Yeah, that's the plan. Although I'm not really interested in functinal blackout lights, I'm more interested in the integral D-rings and the brush guard. In fact, last week I was watching a residue auction at Hill AFB for an M1008. That would have been a gold mine for this project had it not sold for a small fortune (close to $1K for a truck that didn't run and was missing parts all over!) I hope to find some 1008 axles at an affordable price to swap in.

I was in Moab last weekend too.... didn't see you tho. We stuck mainly around the Hwy 131 stuff... metal masher, wipeout hill, hey joe canyon etc.

Anxious to see your faux 1009 progress.
I haven't played around on that end of town yet. We're planning on going over there next time we go. Sand Flats Road is starting to get boring! BTW, welcome to the forum! What part of the state are you from?

Boreal21

I haven't played around on that end of town yet. We're planning on going over there next time we go. Sand Flats Road is starting to get boring! BTW, welcome to the forum! What part of the state are you from?
Thanks for the welcome :) I'm just getting back into the MV scene after selling my 1008 to a buddy 3 years ago. I drove it for 7 before that and I miss it. I'm buying a 1031 from a forum member and I'm excited to get it up here.

I saw that 1008 on GL the other day and thought it was a pretty good deal at under $1,000 heh. I guess I'm out of the loop. Anyway, I know there are ~5 1031s in Draper, but in the months that I've been watching GL for them to come up for auction, I haven't seen a single vehicle from Draper come up until like 2 days ago, and still no sign of those 1031s.

Not sure if you take Hwy 6 or 89 to Moab, but if you take 89 you come right by my house. I'm in Ephraim. When is your next trip planned? I can't wait to go back...

superburban

Thanks for the welcome :) I'm just getting back into the MV scene after selling my 1008 to a buddy 3 years ago. I drove it for 7 before that and I miss it. I'm buying a 1031 from a forum member and I'm excited to get it up here.

I saw that 1008 on GL the other day and thought it was a pretty good deal at under $1,000 heh. I guess I'm out of the loop. Anyway, I know there are ~5 1031s in Draper, but in the months that I've been watching GL for them to come up for auction, I haven't seen a single vehicle from Draper come up until like 2 days ago, and still no sign of those 1031s.

Not sure if you take Hwy 6 or 89 to Moab, but if you take 89 you come right by my house. I'm in Ephraim. When is your next trip planned? I can't wait to go back...

EPHRAIM! I used to live in Manti! My mom still does. I'm down there about once a month! We need to get together some time.

My next trip is probably going to be during the Blazer Bash in September. I usually go straight across on Hwy 6, unless I have a reason to stop off in Manti. Then I go down 89 to I70. What do you wheel?

Boreal21

EPHRAIM! I used to live in Manti! My mom still does. I'm down there about once a month! We need to get together some time.

My next trip is probably going to be during the Blazer Bash in September. I usually go straight across on Hwy 6, unless I have a reason to stop off in Manti. Then I go down 89 to I70. What do you wheel?
You're hijacking your own thread rofl

It wouldn't take much convincing to get me down to Moab again over a long weekend. I'll have to look into the Blazer Bash thing. I drive a Jeep tho... can we still play?

YGPM

Attachments

superburban

You're hijacking your own thread rofl

It wouldn't take much convincing to get me down to Moab again over a long weekend. I'll have to look into the Blazer Bash thing. I drive a Jeep tho... can we still play?

YGPM
Dont tell Superburban, he'll get mad that I'm hijacking this thread so bad!

They'll let you play, but they'll also mock you mercilessly the whole time! Yeah. It's silly.