• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Navistar 7.3 vs LD465(all versions)

kennys@wi.rr.com

Has anyone ever put a 7.3 from an older Ford Super Duty into a Deuce? If so how easy/difficult was it? Why would you consider/not consider doing it? Is there a better choice for a diesel only in the A2? Am I crazy for even thinking of this? I have come to my senses (my wife beat me down) that an A3 is a bit too expensive as of now, but I seem to always fall into parts vehicles so that's why I thought about this idea.

As always thank you all.

Jake0147

Instead of a 7.3, I would think the electronic adaptations would be easier if you could get your hands on a T444E out of an international 4700 from late 98 or up, with the ECM mounted on the engine. Other than that, it's doable either way. If it comes out of a Ford, make sure it is (or is updated to) 1997 or better software in the ECM. Idles smoother and provides data stream, which you'll want to verify installation and keep it running. Keep the VIN from the donor handy, you'll need that for diagnostic tools for anything beyond the most straight up repairs. If they're well kept, they're good engines. Watch out for signs of a dusted or neglected ones. If you can get a running donor, beg, borrow or hire a capable scanner to run a buzz and CCT before you commit to it.

kennys@wi.rr.com

My only other concern than the electronics was the power. From all I can see the 7.3 has more HP than the the LD's but I couldn't find the torque rating on the LD's. I know enough to know that it's not worth going through all the work if it will be under powered or break something.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why electronics and complications? A typical International school bus Navistar IDI 7.3 N/A makes 170hp @ 3000 and better torque than any of the Deuce Multifuels, at least. I think it would be a nice diesel-only powerplant option, for what they cost.
The only problem I recall to maintain the "stick shift" was the stock 3053 input shaft being to short for the distance from flywheel clutch surface to the tranny mounting surface including the #2->#3 adapter ring. Many ways to solve that.... or if you can find an Allison with overdrive and lockup.....:)

G.

Attachments

kennys@wi.rr.com

I was considering going with an old school bus. We've done that in the past for a dump truck but that was the same motor. What auto trans is it in the busses and would it be strong enough to survive the deuce?

oldshep

Real diesels are 6's.:wink: But those old 7.3s are good engines. Id like to see a duece with one. And bobbed. But thats just me.:wink:

rorybellows

i also was thinking aboot this set up. a 7.3 and an allison 5 speed in a bobbed deuce would be a nice setup. you could go the ford route or find an old roll back tow truck with the auto( dont know what the trans is though) and rob it outta that. an idi with a turbo on it would be good too

ocmechanx

Would a dt466 or 6bt cummins not work well? Parts are easy to come by, simple as any engine out there, no electronics, rugged, reliable, and as much power as you care to make.

mudguppy

you won't be able to fit a '466 into the deuce easily. well, not the front, anyway. a dt360 would be a better choice, just like the 6bt.

Jakob

I can pick up the Ford IDI 7.3's around here for $400 or less. A Cummins is going to run me $1500+. I'd like to keep the stock Deuce trans though. I haven't put much thought in to this plan though since I don't need ANOTHER project going on. However, when I come back from Iraq, I'll have some extra money in my pocket.

Haggar

I know that S1600 U-hauls used the Navistar 444 (N/A 7.3) in front of the Spicer CM4054A 5 speed transmission. Not sure if its the same pattern as the Deuce...