• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need Deuce Info

gun512

Ok, here is my situation. I am mating a Cummins 6BT to a spicer 3053 trans. I am mating them using a SAE#3 bellhousing. I can buy an aftermarket flywheel and SouthBend will make me a stout clutch that will fit the 1.5inch 10 spline input shaft of the 3053. The problem is, what starter do i use? What size flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing does a deuce use? I have found many trucks that use the 5.9/spicer,eaton 5-6 speeds. but many use a 14"flywheel and clutch. I could definetly use some direction on this.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wouldn't it just be a cummin's starter? It needs to be a cummin's flywheel. I used a 14" clutch for a chevy c70 for my 3035a in my m725. I got alot of help from the big rig places around my area.

gun512

So you are saying a regular cummins starter will mount to the SAE#3 bellhousing and work properly? The regular 5.9 cummins requires an adapter to use the stock starter on a 13" clutch(for a nv4500). What flywheel do you have on your set-up?

gun512

Ooh sorry, i forgot to say that the guys at ATT transmission (they bought all the medium duty trans from spicer/eaton) told me i could not fit a 14" flywheel and clutch. Hence the reason i am trying for the 13"

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for your reference: The 5ton Multifuel bell housing is a true SAE#2 size while the 2 ½ ton version is equivalent in size but has an odd bolt pattern. Both housings are large enough to accommodate a heavy almost 17.5” diam. flywheel. (Ring-gear is also 17.5" and the same part# for both versions). The 5ton FW accepts a 15” press. plate/clutch disk, while the 2 ½ ton application only comes with a 13” clutch. That seems to be rather smallish for an adult diesel engine but I know of two friends here whose Deuces had been "upgraded" swapping in the 5ton MF LDS465-1A engine but retaining the original 13" Deuce clutch, without problems or complaints so far. I'm sure other members here with 5ton MF-powered Deuces can tell similar positive experiences.
In short you should be fine with 13" of a HD pressure plate & disk if that is the maximum that fits into your bellhousing.

G.

gun512

Yeah i'm not to worried about the clutch. The smallest set-up that SouthBend would make for me was rated at 750ft lbs. Good to hear on that it is a SAE#2. The last piece of my puzzle is the starter. If i get a starter that will bolt to the SAE#3, will it mate up to the 173tooth 13" flywheel? And since cummins diesel are in many, many, different set-ups, i was curious of which one would work. This might be one of those stab in the dark deals. My father is an engineer and machinist. I may just get a normal dodge cummins starter and try to fab it to the bellhousing somehow...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Deuce there is room enough, so keep looking for a 5.9 med.duty truck version, it sure comes stock with everything you need including its own BIG bell housing + starter and a corresponding heavier FW and bigger clutch, too. Than you probably need a SAE2 -> SAE3 adapter ring (see http://shortlinks.net/uuo550) and may be adjust the length of the tranny input shaft (cut and weld).

G.

gun512

Well actually almost all of the medium duty 5.9med duty trucks come with a 1.75 or 2 inch input shaft. It would be easy if i have a bigger input shaft. Alot of the c70's had a 1.5input shaft but the OE clutches are rated for around 300-500ft lbs. I understand that this is not a medium duty application but i still go back to the original question. What starter do i go with. The only medium duty 5.9 spplication with a SAE#3 i have found so far is a 93 Ford F600 with the cummins. If i can find out if the ring gear is the same tooth as what i am going to run then i can just get a starter from it. I priced a few of them and they were in the $240-260 range. I spent alot of time with the Project Manager of Valeo clutch to figure out exactly what i need. Cummins said they could tell me all of the correct info if i had the VIN number of the vehicle it was coming from. Anyhow...I'm sure i will find something. What i should have done is just have got the SAE#2 bellhousing with the adapter ring to mount the 3053A...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks