• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

need opinons

offroaddiesel

need opinons on getting a duece . any pics and opinons out there on using them for pushing snow.my road is a private road so i will need to push snow,its narrow,hilly, and we get lots of snow. this year and will be the last year,my neighbor will be plowing.he uses a road grader and will moving so i will need to remove snow next year.i was thing ,if possible using a wing plow on a duece and also i would like a multi fuel and would like feedback on problems and solutions on starting in cold weather. i have seen temps here go 30 - 50 below, not good.and other reasons for a duece would have fun in it. thanks steve

Elwenil

Hmm, that's a big plow. A Deuce isn't know for wonderful traction on snow and ice so if I were going to do something like this I would put plenty of weight in the bed, flip the hubs to run super singles in the rear and use a modern over the road radial tire all around and chains. Just my .02

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you are planning on going with chains, does the tire really matter? Since the chain is what makes the traction, I would think you could use bald 900x20s. Just asking cause I don't know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With chains the tires are pretty much a non issue. Without chains, Lanty hit the nail on the head. Between a modern radial, singles and significant weight in the bed, it should plow like no body's business. Some type of PS might be in order though. As far as the temps, the deuce, properly prepared, is ideal for that kind of weather. Ask Sasquatch Santa.

Elwenil

True chains do make the tire sort of irrelevant but I was thinking of versatility as in being able to choose the right amount of traction for the job. Sometimes you might get by with no chains or only chains on the rear on if it gets really bad you can chain up all around. Plus I'm sure the modern tires would be a huge improvement as far as regular wet traction compared to the NDTs. Don't get me wrong, I like the look of NDTs but if you are going to buy a truck with a specific purpose in mind, I'd equip it to do the job.

madsam

snow plow.

Well, I bought my wrecker for that reason. I have notice it slides a little in the snow with junk tires. I have new mill tires that I plan on putting on eventually, but not this winter. I will be putting chains on for this winter. I know some people up here that take chainsaws to their tracker tires at angles to get traction. I might be cutting slits in the center bead with the new tires when I put them on. I put in a coolant block heater and the 5ton cumins 250, and it starts good now. It gets -30 here too. I plan on leaving chains on all winter. I have a 10 foot blade off a state plow. I need to build a mount on the front. The cold means I need diesel additive to keep it from gelling. I don't know about the multifuel but the 250 seems to be able to handle cold as long as you set it up. (And maybe have some starting fluid.) You have to seal the cab. there is a lot of holes in the floor.

My old plow, a 76 ramcharger, with a myer 7 foot blade kept getting lifted up by the snow and ice then getting stuck. It has locker diffs and full chains. I then broke the front outer axles shafts last year while trying to get un-stuck. So I do not think my 36,000 lb wrecker will be lifted up so easily. And the 5 ton axles should not brake as easily. The new blade is also 3 times the weight.

My wrecker has 2 nice winches if I do get stuck. You might look for a truck with a winch as I don't think a pickup with a tow strap will get these trucks out.

I have heard of people putting short box head screws in their tires to help on ice, but that would not do much in snow.

I have not plowed snow yet, but I think it will do good. Ask me in a year whether it works well.

OSO

RE: snow plow.

Chains are a must ! Your'e out there to plow not trying to get unstuck. I used to plow snow in Wisconsin. After it piled up ,started to haul it away to a dump site. A engine heater is needed , electric or propane fired . Those diesels need to be warm to fire off . Helps the oil flow, don't know if you need battery heaters . A warm battery has a more cranking power than a cold battery. You will find out in time what works best for you. Have fun plowing snow . I know I liked doing it , but when I plowed we started at 10:00 pm at night and worked till about 10:00am , sooner if we finished up early.

offroaddiesel

RE: snow plow.

hey guys thanks for the info chains are a must here, i remember years ago running my diesel gen for power to our house to use an additive to the fuel it always started good but needed the additive, used kero.my only cocern is duece or 5 ton, rather start off with a duece for my first mv but i did have a 41 dodge wc1 but not good for plowing my road. and the other concern is if i go off the road and get stuck, so a winch is in the plan, i do have a winch on my 48 power wagon, , having 2 winchs are better than one. i live a hundred miles from mars and getting help up here in the woods would take a while thanks steve

jatonka

I have a deuce multifuel with wing plow set up and hydraulic power steering and flipped hubs with 6 excellent civilian mud and snow tires and a set of chains for all three axles, oh yeah, with heater and a block heater too. It's for sale, It plows reall good. JT out

Alredneck

Banned
If you want some bald 900r20s i got 8 and one doesnt even hold air. Most are BF Goodys. I also have 2 decent ones. All must go need to make room for singles!

At least you want have high expectations from these i swear! :cookoo:

madsam

There is differences between the Duce and the 5 ton.

The 5 ton has power stearing.
The 5 ton has stronger axles.

Do you need both of those for plowing? That is up to you.