• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help with M85 Laundry Trailer Water Pump

number9

Guys, I need some help. I have the M85 Laundry Unit Trailer and am needing to use the water pump on it to drain a pond. I have a generator I got from Tractor Supply I intend to run it with. I went searching for a plug at Lowes and can't find one that matches the plug on the water pump (pic attached).

Can anyone tell me is this plug is a "special" military plug that I am not going to be able to find locally? And if so, does anyone know the pinout of the mil plug so I can wire it to the power cable to hook to the generator?

IMG_7189_zps0858fbf4.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a 3 phase plug.

Do you have a 3 phase 208 volt generator?

It is a standard plug, but probably not at Lowes.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at the TM.

TM 10-3510-209-10

1-10. EQUIPMENT DATA. (CONT)

Pump Motor

Volts ................................................................................ 208 V ac

Phase................................................................................ 3

Frequency......................................................................... 60 Hz

Amps ................................................................................ 3.1/1.0 amps

Power rating...................................................................... 3/4 hp (560 W)

212sparky

Does the laundry trailer have an on board genset? That would juice it up for you, and a roll of 4 conductor so cord and you could drain your pond.

3dAngus

The laundry unit has a 10KW, MEP-003 on it. It is unlikely he would be able to get it near his pond.

The water pump, like most other assets on the laundry unit, is three phase power. They did do a mod on the water heater and some are single phase power now.
I believe the air compressor is also single phase, but the other 5000 or so pounds worth of equipment is three phase.

The pump on the laundry unit is designed for "clean" water. It is not ideal for draining dirty water in a pond, but if you put a screen all around the foot or inlet, it will work OK. You might be pumping for months if you want to pump out a pond with it. It is not that robust of a pump, and designed to fill up a washing machine. It will not have much lift, nor much pumping capacity for such an effort, though you will get water out. I would recommend a gas or diesel driven pump, or as a minimum, a 72GPM 230volt water pump from Lowes. They run about $300. I use one for my irrigation system, pumping uphill 22 feet to the front yard and I can run 12 heads on it for the grass, which is about twice what a commercial installer would offer me with their idea of a submersible pump, which simply will not do the job of a above ground 230v, 1.5-2 HP pump.
Even then, consider, it will only pump out about 4000 gallons per hour. The laundry unit pump will only pump out about 1/4 to 1/3 of that, with little lift if it needs to go uphill and around it for disposal.

Last edited:

number9

Yea, my M85 unit had the genset removed when I got to the site to pick it up. Wasn't spelled out in the auction and Gimp told me after I posted here that I'd just won one that the gens had been pulled from them. That's the only reason I even bought it, but I got it a a good price so it didn't bother me too bad.

I pulled the 15" culvert out last night with my tractor, water line was a few inches below that. I think I'll use the backhoe this evening and dig that ditch a little deeper at a time and see how it works out.

Thanks for the fast replies guys!! Saved me from buying something I didn't need!!