• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Question - 5 ton Models M923, 925, 931, etc. - Re: Engine Cooling fan

fredster67a

Hey,
Quick question about the videos I see on gov Liquidation of the engines running on the various 5 ton models - sometimes I see the cooling fans moving and sometimes I do not,. Does this indicate a problem with the cooling fan assembly or some other system on the vehicle? Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

GHall

The fan clutch kicks on and off at a certain temp.. There is an emergency bolt to lock up the fan to where it spins all the time if the clutch goes out.

fredster67a

Gray, Thanks for yor response. Does this mean that the fan clutch will not kick in until the truck engine reaches a certain operating temeperature - so the engines I viewed may have been recently started? Thanks.

Fred

GHall

Fred,

Yes sir, the chances are that they were just recently fired up. These trucks take a while to warm up all the way. When the engines got hot enough the fan kicks on and you can generally hear it pulling a lot more air.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Fred,

Welcome! Gray's advise is correct on the fan lock out but it is only for the nhc250 a0 or a1 models. The a2 uses a different motor 8.3L that uses a different clutch with out the lock out feature.

Note, It is "possible" that the fan clutch or air operated actuator is not working properly. You would have to get the truck to operating temp to be sure.

GHall

Hi Fred,

Welcome! Gray's advise is correct on the fan lock out but it is only for the nhc250 a0 or a1 models. The a2 uses a different motor 8.3L that uses a different clutch with out the lock out feature.

Note, It is "possible" that the fan clutch or air operated actuator is not working properly. You would have to get the truck to operating temp to be sure.
Juan is absolutely right, I apologize for not differentiating between the two motors. I was speaking of the NHC-250, I have no experience with the 8.3..

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trouble is, you won't know if the fan clutch is not working until the engine overheats, like mine did. The bolts were made available for the fan lock for a reason. My problem was that the truck I picked up had to be jump started, so I couldn't shut the engine down to install the bolts since I couldn't restart it! As long as it was rolling the temps were OK, but if you stopped the temp started climbing. Just another recovery challenge to anticipate.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could push a 939 series truck for 5 miles downhill, and it still won't push start.

PLP

I have a few m939's with Cummins 250 on one of them the fan would barely turn when cold, the other two trucks the fan will spin fast when cold. I think the problem with the first truck is the shutter fan switch which is operated by air to control fan is malfuntioning. It appears If the fan shutter switch is working properly on the Cummins 250 the fan will spin fast at any temp, maybe just faster when hot. I can't speak for the Cummins 8.3 but all the GL videos i see the fan is either stopped or barely spinning.

Stryker100

My m923a1 has a slow fan at start up. Just got her home last night, So have yet to warm her up. Will be watching this thread and Adding when i see what mine does. Stryker