• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV owner here

Hi All,

new owner here with some questions (of course... :cool: )

First off, some info. I purchased a 1999 M1123 about 6 weeks ago on GP. The EUC just came back and I opted to look for a hauler myself. Ended up with a reputable company, but they are charging the cost upfront before pickup or delivery. Is that common with haulers, has anyone had bad experiences? My wife is the cautious type and wants a contract (other than the normal invoice) and pay after delivery. Not sure the company will do that.

Other than that, I paid $5,100 for a "running" but without batteries. I believe I got a decent deal. Only has 1 door, no cover or curtain, but everything else seems to be working.

The items is at the Yermo yard in Cali. I live in South Dakota. More info and pictures are coming.

Some more info, I spent 24 years combined in the Army and Air Force, where I got to drive the HMMWVs quite a bit. This one is a Marine vehicle, so I have downloaded the Tech Manuals with extra pictures and crayon markings (LOL no offense, just kidding, I've heard that a lot during my career)

Anyway, thanks for any info you can give.

Lee

Welcome to the SS forums!!!
Thanks! Over the years I've found forums like this to be invaluable beyond estimation, both for the technical and advice as well as safety and experience of other riders/owners/operators. The wife and I are also on a certain motorcycle and trike board.

I appreciate the welcome, looking forward to many discussions and advice sessions.

Lee

I concur with TOBASH. I have never prepaid for a delivery.
Go figure, I may have made a boo boo by sending the money ahead of delivery. But, if the company doesn't come through with the expectations, I'll just bash them here on this forum and everywhere else... :cool:

Many have shipped with them, I read it all over, but for now I'll keep their name protected until I won't. They must have seen me coming a mile away and man-handled me like a ragdoll. Just kidding. I'm confident it will be ok.

I know I said I don't like posting stock photos, but here's the main pic from GP.

On another note, does anyone have a good contact for 2 man cover, rear curtain and doors? Doesn't have to be new, actually would prefer like new or gently used as they match a slight faded paint job better. Let me know if it's frowned upon to open a new thread out of forum context.

Thanks all for your input.

Lee

Attachments

Awol

I've pre paid for delivery plenty of times. That's what I did with my Humvee, and I buy and sell a lot of cars all over the country and never had any issues.

Looks like you got a good truck! There's used 2 man stuff on ebay. Most people convert to a 4 man, so the 2 man stuff isn't too bad price wise. If you're gonna go new, I suggest Blue Ox. He'll make you whatever you want, and is very reasonably priced.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,

new owner here with some questions (of course... :cool: )

First off, some info. I purchased a 1999 M1123 about 6 weeks ago on GP. The EUC just came back and I opted to look for a hauler myself. Ended up with a reputable company, but they are charging the cost upfront before pickup or delivery. Is that common with haulers, has anyone had bad experiences? My wife is the cautious type and wants a contract (other than the normal invoice) and pay after delivery. Not sure the company will do that.

Other than that, I paid $5,100 for a "running" but without batteries. I believe I got a decent deal. Only has 1 door, no cover or curtain, but everything else seems to be working.

The items is at the Yermo yard in Cali. I live in South Dakota. More info and pictures are coming.

Some more info, I spent 24 years combined in the Army and Air Force, where I got to drive the HMMWVs quite a bit. This one is a Marine vehicle, so I have downloaded the Tech Manuals with extra pictures and crayon markings (LOL no offense, just kidding, I've heard that a lot during my career)

Anyway, thanks for any info you can give.

Lee
You didn't state if it was a Hotshot company or regular freight hauler. A 50/50 negotiation would probably have worked. Outbound freight from your part of the world is sketchy. Be sure and post how it works out. And congratulations, you have been promoted to MOTORPOOL!

You didn't state if it was a Hotshot company or regular freight hauler. A 50/50 negotiation would probably have worked. Outbound freight from your part of the world is sketchy. Be sure and post how it works out. And congratulations, you have been promoted to MOTORPOOL!
Sorry, it is a regular freight company with pretty good reputation. That's why I haven't mentioned the name yet to not tarnish that. If all works out, I'll report more. If there are issues, I'll report more.

I just want to hesitate tp pay for services in advance as there is always a chance something goes wrong. Buying a product and paying for it is one thing, getting a service is a different story IMO. Especially talking these sums of money. Been burned before, should have learned my lesson. But as my wife keeps telling me, I am not the sharpest lighbulb in the envelope... Or however the saying goes.

Lee

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck! from what I hear you can count on replacing the tires right off on any truck out of Yermo, evidently sitting in the desert kills them, and many of the rubber parts like hoses etc.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more info, I spent 24 years combined in the Army and Air Force, where I got to drive the HMMWVs quite a bit.
I did 20 in the USAF as a Flight Engineer on C-141s. In my entire career I drove a HMMWV one time, and got a ticket for it (driving without a HMMWV license, not checking tires before entering a taxiway, and speeding). Thankfully the ticket got thrown out, despite all of it being true.

I drove the M1009 a few times and never got a ticket.

Now I own both.

Welcome aboard. The best soft-top you'll find is from BlueOx tops; he does business off facebook. OEM 2-man tops pop up in the classifieds here, on facebook, or on ebay with some regularity, just need to keep checking.

I replaced the USMC XXXXXX on my M1165 with USAF XXXXXX to avoid any pointless discussion.

EDIT to add: Post the link to the GP page so we can see the truck.

Nice truck! from what I hear you can count on replacing the tires right off on any truck out of Yermo, evidently sitting in the desert kills them, and many of the rubber parts like hoses etc.
That is what I heard, and expect as well. The pics on GP don't show too much dry rot, but the manufacture date is from 2008. Bummer

For the next year I will most likely keep the truck on my acreage and an occasional short road trip. When I am ready for excursions, I'll have to replace them.

I already sourced some cooling hoses, but want to look first before buying the set. Then, all the fluid changes and grease nipples. Already plan on that.

Thanks for the tip...

Lee

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I heard, and expect as well. The pics on GP don't show too much dry rot, but the manufacture date is from 2008. Bummer

For the next year I will most likely keep the truck on my acreage and an occasional short road trip. When I am ready for excursions, I'll have to replace them.

I already sourced some cooling hoses, but want to look first before buying the set. Then, all the fluid changes and grease nipples. Already plan on that.

Thanks for the tip...

Lee
more likely 2008 is when it was rebuilt, not manufactured. Pretty much all of the rubber and wear items should be replaced during rebuild, so it's close enough

more likely 2008 is when it was rebuilt, not manufactured. Pretty much all of the rubber and wear items should be replaced during rebuild, so it's close enough
Yeah, the manufacture code on the tires read 4608, so they were made Oct/Nov 2008. Only 1 tire has weather cracking, the other 3 are good. According to the GP pictures anyway.

I'll know more when the truck is here.

Tire close up.JPG

I did 20 in the USAF as a Flight Engineer on C-141s. In my entire career I drove a HMMWV one time, and got a ticket for it (driving without a HMMWV license, not checking tires before entering a taxiway, and speeding). Thankfully the ticket got thrown out, despite all of it being true.

I drove the M1009 a few times and never got a ticket.

Now I own both.
That is what I call having won the lottery. The speeding thing is usually always and LOC/LOR once the word gets to the Commander. And as life goes, you get to make up by maintaining your vehicles. I', a little envious...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with Yermo tires is they have permanent flat spots from sitting in the desert that just will not clear up no matter how far you drive or how good they look.