• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV owner here

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the truck, looks good. I remember when i bought my 1st it was an 1123 exactly like yours.
I second Blue Ox on the top. Outstanding work and outstanding business oriented individual. coincidentally, today he sent me via UPS a top i bought years ago and sent him for repairs. The guy does not want to charge me a cent.
As Mogman said, flat spots on the tires will be present most likely. I went through various sets of tires until i gave up and went 17* aftermarket rims and tires.
Good luck with you rig.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi All,

new owner here with some questions (of course... :cool: )

First off, some info. I purchased a 1999 M1123 about 6 weeks ago on GP. The EUC just came back and I opted to look for a hauler myself. Ended up with a reputable company, but they are charging the cost upfront before pickup or delivery. Is that common with haulers, has anyone had bad experiences? My wife is the cautious type and wants a contract (other than the normal invoice) and pay after delivery. Not sure the company will do that.

Other than that, I paid $5,100 for a "running" but without batteries. I believe I got a decent deal. Only has 1 door, no cover or curtain, but everything else seems to be working.

The items is at the Yermo yard in Cali. I live in South Dakota. More info and pictures are coming.

Some more info, I spent 24 years combined in the Army and Air Force, where I got to drive the HMMWVs quite a bit. This one is a Marine vehicle, so I have downloaded the Tech Manuals with extra pictures and crayon markings (LOL no offense, just kidding, I've heard that a lot during my career)

Anyway, thanks for any info you can give.

Lee
Welcome to the Outfit!

Yeah, for the most part I have always paid for delivery after the vehicle arrives. Doesn't matter though. You have done it and now you are on edge until it shows up... Hope everything works out for you.

You are way ahead of most folks who buy then question - rather than downloading the TM's. I thank you for doing that!

Congratulations on the truck, looks good. I remember when i bought my 1st it was an 1123 exactly like yours.
I second Blue Ox on the top. Outstanding work and outstanding business oriented individual. coincidentally, today he sent me via UPS a top i bought years ago and sent him for repairs. The guy does not want to charge me a cent.
As Mogman said, flat spots on the tires will be present most likely. I went through various sets of tires until i gave up and went 17* aftermarket rims and tires.
Good luck with you rig.
Thanks. I'll contact them to see what options are out there... I would like to keep it somewhat original, but also functional.

Prices are a bit crazy for these necessities, supply and demand I guess is the driving factor. Man, I love capitalism.

Lee

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MOTORPOOL, huh? What does that entail? New to the board, still learning everthing.
You are now a "wheeled mechanic" or at least you are going to be soon. You own tools, right? P S No matter what you say about a trucking company are you going to hurt their reputation, they don't care. I was in the business for 37 years.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct on that. I haven't heard from the shipping company, but I knew it will be a few days before they have a load together. Bugging the point of contact will not make anything go faster. So, patience is a virtue. And a bitch.

Thanks for the input.

Lee
You can stare at the release code on the post sale info. When the code disappears it has been picked up.[/QUOTE]

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The items is at the Yermo yard in Cali. I live in South Dakota. More info and pictures are coming.
If it is a runner, grab good friend. If you can't wrench on trucks yourself, then at least he should be able to.
That's what I did... and drove the 500ml straight home from the port. California to SD is a bit more of a drive now, but I would do it the same way again.
Pack your tools, Dexron III, 15W40 motor oil, multimeter, 75w90 axle oil, two batteries, jumper cables.
Tires should be good... but you can usually see that enough from the pictures.

Make a good road trip out of it. You'll rarely have this much fun again!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is a runner, grab good friend. If you can't wrench on trucks yourself, then at least he should be able to.
That's what I did... and drove the 500ml straight home from the port. California to SD is a bit more of a drive now, but I would do it the same way again.
Pack your tools, Dexron III, 15W40 motor oil, multimeter, 75w90 axle oil, two batteries, jumper cables.

I do not recommend a road trip for any HMMWV straight of of surplus without a full service first, it can cost you much more in the long run than getting it transported.

Thanks Frau Hansen,

as tempting as it is, I'd follow Mogman's and others advice to complete a full PM check before... Just because you don't know how the truck was treated in the last year.

But I understand your meaning, that roadtrip would be fantastic. 950 miles, 3 days, nothing but fun and air. However, It is already contracted to be picked up, and I don't have it registered. yet. Or insured. Can't do the insurance until I have a title, according to our agent. Oh well. What's another few weeks.

But, I love roadtrips!

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Frau Hansen,

as tempting as it is, I'd follow Mogman's and others advice to complete a full PM check before... Just because you don't know how the truck was treated in the last year.

But I understand your meaning, that roadtrip would be fantastic. 950 miles, 3 days, nothing but fun and air. However, It is already contracted to be picked up, and I don't have it registered. yet. Or insured. Can't do the insurance until I have a title, according to our agent. Oh well. What's another few weeks.

But, I love roadtrips!
See Grind Hard Plumbing on youtube....................... By the way, don't be surprised when the delivery truck shows up and the name on the truck doesn't match the company you paid to transport it.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You miss your chance of something irretrievable that everyone warned you about but you went through with it.
Like not being there for the birth of your child because there was snow outside and everyone said it was dangerous!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

You miss your chance of something irretrievable that everyone warned you about but you went through with it.
Like not being there for the birth of your child because there was snow outside and everyone said it was dangerous!
I've driven many an auction truck home. You're not wrong.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us have been bidding on non-running trucks. That becomes a crapshoot regarding getting it home driving it. If you buy a runner, you pay a premium, however you might be able to make it home.

Test, check your fluids especially in the hubs, and make sure your filters are good before trying to drive home.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of us have been bidding on non-running trucks. That becomes a crapshoot regarding getting it home driving it. If you buy a runner, you pay a premium, however you might be able to make it home.

Test, check your fluids especially in the hubs, and make sure your filters are good before trying to drive home.
If it's a Yermo truck you always have the option of shipping it the short distance to Retired War Horses and letting Steven do the heavy lifting. I'd be OK driving a runner or non-runner home after RWH gives it the once-over and says it's good.

By the way, don't be surprised when the delivery truck shows up and the name on the truck doesn't match the company you paid to transport it.
Yea, I fugured that will be the case. The company is just a third party agency, they will ire the transport out. As long as the truck and parts get here, (sometime this century would be nice), I'd be happy.