• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New LMTV owner

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT. You are my Mr Miyagi.
Please master. Teach me more.
Knowing more about my truck is so cool. So much history it has seen. Now I want to make a billboard and take it to truck shows.

Question. Should I still be worried about the bellhousing? Anything else I should put on my radar, potential bad parts or issues that could/will happen?
OMG yes. There are hundreds of threads on here about fixing all the unresolved design issues on these trucks and now also all the age related issues that are cropping up. Unless you plan on using this truck on a farm at low speed, plan on doing lots of upgrades. Or get left on the side of the road a lot.

Joseph A.

OMG yes. There are hundreds of threads on here about fixing all the unresolved design issues on these trucks and now also all the age related issues that are cropping up. Unless you plan on using this truck on a farm at low speed, plan on doing lots of upgrades. Or get left on the side of the road a lot.
OK. I have some work to do then. Thank you all. I will be posting as I go. Keeping everyone in the loop.

Ronmar

Yea thats just the emissions compliance sticker. There should be a smaller sticker below that(front left corner of the valve cover) that has the serial number. It appears to be missing on yours and would be under the shadow of the hand holding the cellphone in the first pic…

Mine has that same 1993 emissions sticker on it, it doesn't say the engine was manufactured in 93, it says it complies with the emissions standard of 93. When I run my serial number thru the cat parts website, it says it was produced in 02/98, tested in 02/98 and shipped in 02/98. My truck has a mfg date in 98… you will need a serial number to know the prod date…

you should have one that Looks like this With s/n and tune info. Without that sticker, I am not sure if the s/n is shown anyplace else on the engine…

IMG_2045.jpeg

Last edited:

Joseph A.

Hello all. Next on my list is a better steering wheel. Have any of you changed yours? I have been watching lots of videos on YouTube, about different updates and upgrades. I like Fastidious Restomods and his truck Abel. He has lots of great videos. I am also looking into side mirror updates. I don't know if I would go with power / heated mirrors, but I would not say NO to them.

Joseph A.

Yea thats just the emissions compliance sticker. There should be a smaller sticker below that(front left corner of the valve cover) that has the serial number. It appears to be missing on yours and would be under the shadow of the hand holding the cellphone in the first pic…

Mine has that same 1993 emissions sticker on it, it doesn't say the engine was manufactured in 93, it says it complies with the emissions standard of 93. When I run my serial number thru the cat parts website, it says it was produced in 02/98, tested in 02/98 and shipped in 02/98. My truck has a mfg date in 98… you will need a serial number to know the prod date…

you should have one that Looks like this With s/n and tune info. Without that sticker, I am not sure if the s/n is shown anyplace else on the engine…

View attachment 923550
Thank you for the information. I will be looking all over the engine and vehicle for anything that resembles that sticker.

Reworked LMTV

Hello all. Next on my list is a better steering wheel. Have any of you changed yours? I have been watching lots of videos on YouTube, about different updates and upgrades. I like Fastidious Restomods and his truck Abel. He has lots of great videos. I am also looking into side mirror updates. I don't know if I would go with power / heated mirrors, but I would not say NO to them.
Your very first project is to replace the "Oil Line of Death", per FM AKA Sean and Willow's videos.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all. Next on my list is a better steering wheel.
I wouldn't personally bother. But that's me. When you say "better" what do you mean exactly? My factory wheel has not failed to perform steering wheel duties admirably nor have I heard of any catastrophic failures, explosions, fires, or horrible disfigurement caused by any failures of same.

Aftermarket wheels are universally smaller and require more effort. And they needlessly cost money while the one that came with my truck hasn't extorted my wallet or offered my dog sexual pleasures so.... Hard pass for me.

Joseph A.

Your very first project is to replace the "Oil Line of Death", per FM AKA Sean and Willow's videos.
Oil Line of Death!!!!
OK. I have not seen that one yet but now I am looking.
Just watched. I like that guy's videos. And thank you for the heads up. I will get on that first thing tomorrow. And any "Must Change" items anyone can think of please let me know.
Thank you all.

Joseph A.

I wouldn't personally bother. But that's me. When you say "better" what do you mean exactly? My factory wheel has not failed to perform steering wheel duties admirably nor have I heard of any catastrophic failures, explosions, fires, or horrible disfigurement caused by any failures of same.

Aftermarket wheels are universally smaller and require more effort. And they needlessly cost money while the one that came with my truck hasn't extorted my wallet or offered my dog sexual pleasures so.... Hard pass for me.
My wheel has a few cracks in it. It still works fine, as a wheel. Just wondering if anyone has changed there's or has any recommendations?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wheel has a few cracks in it. It still works fine, as a wheel. Just wondering if anyone has changed there's or has any recommendations?
Find a used FMTV wheel from a surplus dismantler. The alternatives are costly unless you want a Chinese Dorman unit for a semi tractor. Smaller and cheaper construction and doesn't fit the aesthetic at all.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil Line of Death!!!!
Just watched. I like that guy's videos. And thank you for the heads up. I will get on that first thing tomorrow. And any "Must Change" items anyone can think of please let me know.
Thank you all.
Deboss garage also has a good video on the oil line of death on a 3116 or 3126 he took out of a school bus and put in a F-250

Reworked LMTV

Oil Line of Death!!!!
Thank you all.
Your second priority is to expound on SS how much you love your 3116 mechanical engine and thoroughly annoy C7 owners
:ROFLMAO:

Some C7 owners disconnect their transmission and tuck in their engines every night before bed rofl
Wait for it!.........
T minus 5,4,3,2,1..... Here comes member GD 😆

Joseph A.

Your second priority is to expound on SS how much you love your 3116 mechanical engine and thoroughly annoy C7 owners
:ROFLMAO:

Some C7 owners disconnect their transmission and tuck in their engines every night before bed rofl
Wait for it!.........
T minus 5,4,3,2,1..... Here comes member GD 😆
Oh how I love theee 3116. Though you may be long in the tooth like the 7.3. You still carry the name CAT with style and ease. Best of all, no computer to say, "Sorry Joey", whatever plans you may have had, we will not be going. Oh how I love my 3116.....

How was that?

Reworked LMTV

Oh how I love theee 3116. Though you may be long in the tooth like the 7.3. You still carry the name CAT with style and ease. Best of all, no computer to say, "Sorry Joey", whatever plans you may have had, we will not be going. Oh how I love my 3116.....

How was that?
Perfect! You are now Knighted "Sir 3116 of Camarillo!" Our team will set up a date for your tattoo. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:

Joseph A.

The trucks oil line of death on my truck is called the oil line of BullSh@t.! I put a wrench to it and it was almost finger tight. My kids could have taken it off.! Also, I had to remove the harmonic balancer to change the water pump belt. It had 4 of the 6 bolts finger tight.! Not joking. Now I understand why everyone says “Blue Locktite is your best friend.” But I got everything back on, except the oil line. Doing that tomorrow.

Attachments

Joseph A.

Question. Has anyone ever hooked an air compressor up to your truck before, without the engine running? So, I have had the cab tilted fwd for over a week, been working on the engine area. Well, I made a quick disconnect air chuck an attached it to the front air supply. Because I wanted to lower the cab. Slowly the pressure started coming up on the tanks. But I started finding small air leaks. the fwd port air brake bladder is leaking air. there are some small black hoses that leak air, and the cab air ride has a small leak also. Is it because air tanks are filling up slower or do I have an actual concern hear?

Ronmar

The trucks oil line of death on my truck is called the oil line of BullSh@t.! I put a wrench to it and it was almost finger tight. My kids could have taken it off.! Also, I had to remove the harmonic balancer to change the water pump belt. It had 4 of the 6 bolts finger tight.! Not joking. Now I understand why everyone says “Blue Locktite is your best friend.” But I got everything back on, except the oil line. Doing that tomorrow.
Well they roar down the highway at 2600 engine RPM and 3300 driveshaft RPM, things get vibrated…