• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New "Old" CUCV M1009

10thMtn

Well , It Finally worked out, I have just purchased my first 1984 M1009 CUCV. Trucking arranged , its on its way , soo.... NOW where do I start ?
Obviously Kick the tires, check the oils , yada yada yada. I guess what I am looking for is , What things do I need to CHECK FIRST ?
Its running and has been run for a few years, so I am not real concerned with that.
I would like to get my old unit designators on it
I am an Amateur Radio Operator and would like to get my radio gear or appropriate radio gear installed. ( it has the antenna brackets , and the HY Gain Base but no stinger)
I think I might try rino lining or ? on the interior floor. Suggestions ??
Any thing that you all can add here , by all means , DUMP IT IN ...
Excited to put my spin on it !!

Attachments

GoldComet6

Sharp looking '09!

Guess it depends on your intended use.

For example: if it's a daily driver, then I would focus on the things to make it safer, more reliable and ready for everyday driving. As you said check fluids, belts, brakes, lights etc, but also add anything else that would be helpful. Maybe a console, better lighting inside, additional gauges, cargo tie downs or different seats. :)

10thMtn

Thanks Gold and Bethel,

I think making the unit designators would be first. I assume ?? 3in Stencils ? I will have to do some research on how they were labled . The only markings on it currently are , and forgive me Dear Lord, USMC , phuhhh phuhhh Such a DIRTY word...!! Love ya Devil Dogs . hahah ;) I need the nomenclature or abrev. for 10th Mountain Division, 2ND Brigade, 4th Battalion , 31st Infantry Regiment. ANY HELP ?

Yes Gold , The normal checks and I will be driving it daily or switching it off with my new truck .
I really would like to get that antenna replaced, wonder where I can find the correct stinger or Element for that HY Gain Mount ( base ).
Then I think I might like to try RHINO LINING on the FLOOR ? or is there some other product out there ?
I will probably do the whole undercarrage with some primer and rust inhib paint in flat black I assume.
$$$$$$$ OMG shes going to KILL ME $$$$$$$

10thMtn

Was also thinking of the MOUNTAIN TAB across the DOORs , Would look real nice and I remember 1 CUCV being painted up that way, im sure not exactly MILITARY APPROVED , but hey we were kids hahaha...

Green with BLACK stencils or GREEN with White stencils ?

GoldComet6

Thanks Gold and Bethel,

IThen I think I might like to try RHINO LINING on the FLOOR ? or is there some other product out there ?
I will probably do the whole undercarrage with some primer and rust inhib paint in flat black I assume.
Por-15 works great based on my limited experience with it. Covers rust, is tough and holds up well. Guess it's about the same as the bedliner stuff. You can get spray on undercoating that might work well for the hard to get spots. Plus it may help speed things up!

cucv1833

Nice ride. I used hurculiner for the entire inside of the cab. $100 bucks and did it in 1 day. Also you can do a search on here theres a few threads on what people first do to theres when first receiving there CUCV. For sure check the front wheel bearings and starter bolts and bracket. For military markings look up some Manuals on proper markings-TB43-0209 / TB-746-93-1. If its already running i would just change the fluids and enjoy and cont. with upgrades and maint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rich219

10thMtn,

When you're ready for the stencils if you need someone to do them send me a message. I do a bit of vinyl work and can help you out without breaking the bank.

Cleptomaniac

The first thing you need to do to any CUCV is a Doghead starter relay mod!! Ask me how I know:shock:
Just look at the stickies under CUCV and it is cheap!
Nice truck!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks