• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Winch on deuce

jrobinson5093

I started installing a 12000 lb electric winch on my deuce today. I gotta add a few more braces to make the mount stronger and wire it up but I think it will be ok. it is 12V so im gonna run two stand alone batts just for it and some lights. I will have to figure out the wiring but I dont think it will be to bad. I know some will say it will not be strong enough but i dont get stuck the often and when i do its not buried, and maybe it will help pull some of my smaller stuff out. with the proper snatch blocks it should do fine.

Attachments

engineer233

I have a 12000 warn on the front of my duece and it works just fine . Ive used it once when I was stuck but not buried and it was fine. You will have to use snatch blocks though cause it will heat up too much in a hard pull if you dont. I like how you have yours mounted and will probably redo mine .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What size cable does that come with? I have been thinking of adding a winch between the bed and truck frame for help with loading heavy stuff.

jasonjc

Northern tool has some 15,000lbs 12v/24v winches on clearance right now. Item #142476-1114 or a 9000lbs #142475-1114

jrobinson5093

my winch came from harbor frieght it has 3/8 inch cable. I got this winch because i didnt like how the stock one stick so far out and i wont use it much. the only problem i have run into witch may not be a problem at all is makin sure i dont pull the front of the truck off or bent the bumper.

jrobinson5093

well i used the winch for the first time. I pulled out a 2001 gmc 1500 4x4 it was sittin on the frame in the mud. I was about 75 foot from him and single line pulled him. the winch battery was not being charged it is stand alone right not and with only one battery it pulled him out pretty good. I dont know how much help the stuck truck was giving me but he come out only after a few seconds of heavy pulling. But i did see I am gonna have to strengthen up where it is mounted it flexed a lil more than i liked.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I'd like to add a winch to my truck, but I don't like the idea of spending as much buying all the parts for a OE winch for about what I could buy the whole truck for. I have some 6" C-channel that will fit in the frame nicely, I'm thinking of extending the bumper using that and some additional steel. I like the extended bumper look, plus it keeps small trees and such further from the radiator. I think an electric winch will be the way to go for me.

jrobinson5093

Well i got a chance to use the winch again today. While headed home from work in the rain i come upon a truck stuck in the ditch with the fire department there trying to get the truck out. I pulled p asked if they needed any help, they said sure i hooked to him double lined to him and pulled him out no problem.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well i got a chance to use the winch again today. While headed home from work in the rain i come upon a truck stuck in the ditch with the fire department there trying to get the truck out. I pulled p asked if they needed any help, they said sure i hooked to him double lined to him and pulled him out no problem.
That has to feel great. It would be so much fun driving around helping people out. Good PR for MVs as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks