• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Next step for DMA251's old HEMTT

Stalwart

As so many of you followed Damon's hard work restoring the M977, I thought some of you might like an update. Damon was happy with it being a flatbed because he was intending to haul a shelter around on it, heck he even bought one. As much as we like the shelter idea, my wife loved the one on her Goat, we decided to go with proper sideboards. The problem was they were beyond practical repair.

In steps Dale Smiley of Smiley's Inc. in Mt. Vernon, WA. He faithfully re-created them out of 1/8" aluminum instead of steel and are now 1/2 the weight. The OEM sides were very short and since we will use it as a parade vehicle we decided tho make them cab height, or about 32" tall, that should keep the smaller riders less prone to falling out and still not look out of place. Here are a few pictures of final fitment and the welding of the corner pin bushings. Next step, they are getting an acid wash, epoxy primer and finally 383 paint.

The next modification, we will be adding another 12 V battery, 12 V alternator to run the 12V systems Damon added, such as: Raython FLIR and dual monitors, electronically controlled and steered spot light, intercom system and any other small items we decide to install (no, not some mega stereo). I think, and Damon agrees, that a second system is a better choice than using a 24/12 V converter.

Oh and perhaps the best part, I got to drive it for 3 hours today!:jumpin:

Attachments

crazyplowboy

Great work and ideas, I really like the higher walls to keep the kids in during parades [thumbzup] Thanks for the pics and remember to keep us up to date on this beautiful machine that we have all been watching and drooling over for so long.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hope this does not overstep any boundrys, Stalwart is also looking for a set of hemtt bows. I had a set for sale, but decided to use them. I am trying to help him locate a set. Anyone have any extras?

Stalwart

Thanks Robb, even some pictures would work, I can get nearly anything made and then they could be made out of aluminum rather than rusty stuff - steel. :wink: I want everything to look right, but it doesn't have to be the same material, this truck will have an easy life from now on and receive no abuse.

Stalwart

That depends, the 2010 Arlington Airshow is July 7-11th and we will be gearing up for that a few days before and assisting in take down for a few days after. We will probably be taking 3-4 vehicles of our own. We will try to attend the convoy if we can. Are you guys coming to Arlington? It is a FANTASTIC show, we should have 125+ Military Vehicles there and we camp with our vehicles. Much fun and drinking/socalizing after hours. You can even just come for the day . . .

bigelk50

Yeah I have 2 brand new sets with uprights. One set is still has the banding. Looking to sell them pm or call 541-409-1507 and leave a message.

mcmullag

music

For parades, you may want to add a semi-mega watt stereo and speakers
to play military themed music, etc. In the parades that I do with the Marine Corp League, I follow our firetruck that plays the Marine hymn/piece of music thingy.
Sound really adds to the parades, the crowds love it and get more excited.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good save, Stalwart, I was wondering who ended up with dma251's HEMTT. Great mods, too, don't have to worry about rust on the cargo bed sides....

Stalwart

Stuart, remember the m656, perhaps you can do something similar to make it easy to get in and out of the bed....in case you run out of projects. :)
I would Bjorn but even in 1/8" aluminum they aren't that sturdy for holding my fat butt. Also they are nice and light and I want to keep them that way. Each 6' segment weighs less than 50 lb.!

Last edited:

Stalwart

That is wrong in so many ways, disrespectful to the old girl. SOME of the girls are kinda cute, so I'd be happy to give 'em a ride on something bigger, the wife might not like that though.;-)