• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nhc 250 cummins pt pump rebuild shop

machinist75

Need some suggestions for a good pt pump rebuild shop. Mine has gone south and am calling around and getting all kinds of prices. If you can give me an idea of what a good price also it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A truck I had here was doing that wound up being the torque converter was too slow unlocking. Flushed the transmission, changed the filters, and adjusted the tranmission and throttle cables to spec and it cleared it right up. Are you also sure the fuel filter is good? Sometimes when coming off high suction a dirty filtervwill choke out an engine.

Just trying to save you money by eliminating the cheap stuff first.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would it do that even when you put it in neutral? I remember reading your thread on that ordeal.
If you placed it in neutral and coasted into the stop, no, it shouldn't do that. I wonder if it'd shut down because of it sucking air or something during a stop. Maybe just enough to cause it to loose idle.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would do it if you didn't slowly very gently come to a stop, even in neutral. If you played around with rpm and when you put it into neutral you could 5 out of 10 times keep it running.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If you placed it in neutral and coasted into the stop, no, it shouldn't do that. I wonder if it'd shut down because of it sucking air or something during a stop. Maybe just enough to cause it to loose idle.
I have to agree, sounds more like sucking air, being this is the second ip, I would look for something else, the idle not coming down is a sign of sucked air OR a restricted return, did you by any chance trick up the ip because if done without adjusting the springs will also cause the idle to come down slowly.

machinist75

I ran a hose from the pump to a clean bucket of diesel and cranked, it came up very slowly. The batteries started to trail off, so I quit cranking and got out to checked the progress. It had only sucked up about a foot and immediately ran back into the bucket. I havnt touched the pump other than installing it. I also took off the return line valve and cleaned it up but it looks like it was working as it should. To me it seems the pump has an internal air leak.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A truck I had here was doing that wound up being the torque converter was too slow unlocking. Flushed the transmission, changed the filters, and adjusted the tranmission and throttle cables to spec and it cleared it right up. Are you also sure the fuel filter is good? Sometimes when coming off high suction a dirty filtervwill choke out an engine.

Just trying to save you money by eliminating the cheap stuff first.

I agree with this. If there is some gunk in the transmission or valve body. It may cause your torque converter to stay in lock up and that would kill the engine even if you put in neutral. Yo may also want to check to make sure the transmission governor is clean and moving freely.

machinist75

Got my pump back from a diesel shop Will wagner turned me on to out in Cali, big shout out and thanks to Will he's the best. The shop cleaned it up good and gave it a fresh coat of paint, looks new. Got it all installed, primed, and started cranking and cranking. I finally realized I forgot the power wire to the shutoff solenoid, got it connected and she came to life.

Attachments

elkhtr

Got my pump back from a diesel shop Will wagner turned me on to out in Cali, big shout out and thanks to Will he's the best. The shop cleaned it up good and gave it a fresh coat of paint, looks new. Got it all installed, primed, and started cranking and cranking. I finally realized I forgot the power wire to the shutoff solenoid, got it connected and she came to life.
What was the cost and turn around time, if you don't mind sharing.