• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

North Carolina MV RALLY April 6th, 7th,& 8th 2012

100acre

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT OURSELVES A CONVOY....now who wrote that song...???
We got a great big convoy truckin thru the night
yea we got a great big convoy aint she a beautiful sight......fat lady sings

allenhillview

MDSA, Sounds great, Morgonton sounds fine to us. I'm flexible on time I'll fit to your time on meet,we have to start this meeting place early, you agree? So everyone can adjust there speed and truck to get there(Morgonton) Say early means Morganton at daybreak for us,just let me know it can be ,earlier, later doesn't matter. 423 913 1775 Allenhillview!

AMGeneral

Mapquest shows 110.3 miles from here to Denton,taking the I-40 to exit 170(hwy 601) route.

Or about 2 1/2 hrs or so by MV,there is 1 set of scales we will pass by on the west side of Statesville,and they have been open every day for the last 3 months in both directions( I have been working in Mocksville).

Given that there will be about 5 to 6 trucks(so far) meeting in Morganton,I am gonna recommend meeting at the Exxon station just off Exit 106(Bethel RD),there is enough room to support several Deuces/5 tons and trailers,plus it has a round drive,no backing necessary,and there are 2 diesel pumps,as well as it being away from the Hwy 18 exit where there is construction going on.Plus there is an easy return to I-40.

Just a FYI post.

onegmjack

Early is ok,just got to keep in mind others and myself may not be familar with some of the roads.Deuces are slow on hilly roads to.We will get it all pulled together.AM General,us coming from Tennessee, would it be better to go 26 then take the Spruce Pine,Bunsville exit.What do you think Dan, Allen??

onegmjack

Is it weight station or some other scales?I have always been told that only if you are commeral,I may be wrong.North Carolina may have different laws? The last thing I want is to get chased down the road and pulled over.

MDSA

Daybreak, Friday, April 6, Exit 106 Exxon.

Brandon, Your mention of scales has me worried. If I put the M37 on the civvy trailer and pulled it over to Vulcan, would she weigh me with and without the trailer?

AMGeneral

Early is ok,just got to keep in mind others and myself may not be familar with some of the roads.Deuces are slow on hilly roads to.We will get it all pulled together.AM General,us coming from Tennessee, would it be better to go 26 then take the Spruce Pine,Bunsville exit.What do you think Dan, Allen??
Well,I wouldn't take a deuce through Sprice pine,that way is VERY hilly and steep.

from Johnson City it looks like I-40 to I-26 is the best bet(119 miles),fairly easy grades and very few turns that may be missed while steering,shifting or trying not to lose the rest of the convoy.(been there,done that,got the T shirt every year)

That will also work for everyone coming from the Kingsport aera(144 miles) taking I-26.

I have driven both routes in a MV,it's not a bad drive.

again,just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Daybreak, Friday, April 6, Exit 106 Exxon.

Brandon, Your mention of scales has me worried. If I put the M37 on the civvy trailer and pulled it over to Vulcan, would she weigh me with and without the trailer?
Daybreak? I guess that means I gotta get up early?

Being in a convoy of MVs,I doubt the troopers will be in a hurry to come pull them over.

I would call and ask Brian,better get there well before 4PM.

I was gonna ask,did you want me to pull the M37 behind the 5 ton with the laundry trailer?

Last edited:

100acre

I was gonna go thru Asheville . my route I -26 (19/23), to I-240E, to I-40E. If you go the back way on 19E thru Burnsville, Spruce Pine there is a lot of hilly windy curvy down mountain roads. Not to mention they're still doing lots of construction on 19 E so expect delays. I'd stick with going thru Asheville. Udderwise:
Im right off of 25/70 and near to 26/ 19-23 so Im ok anywhere you want to meet if in this area.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
A Convoy ,,,, You guys need to swing way up out of your way and pick me up. Just kidding. I`ll be there on Thursday.

Call and make your reservations if you want water and power

100acre

Your right took another look at the map.Dan I think they are a Exxon at the Clyde exit?Maybe we could meet there??
clyde is 45 min other direction for me. Chief _919 actually lives south of asheville but works in clyde
if u come down I40 into waynesville and clyde you still have to go thru asheville or you can come down I26 either way you have to come thru asheville . Im 20 min north of asheville. just above Weaverville off of 19/23, I-26

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks