• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not exactly a CUCV but a Military 6.5L Turbo Diesel

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased a '98 Chevy Suburban from GL. The vehicle only has 42K miles and comes with the 6.5L turbo diesel. I thought this would be a good addition to the two M1008 I am using as work trucks. The only problem with the M1008 is they are not great on the highway. The Suburban should handle road trips a little better.

Does anyone have experience with the 6.5L GM turbo diesel? Opinions seem to vary on this engine just like the 6.2L. Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You'll need to swap the IP or install a lot of wiring to use that mill in the 1008.

jdknech

i love my 6.5.. only thing you have to watch is the temps... dont let the water temps get over 210*... but my pick-up has just under 300k miles on it, in it is still running strong! see my sig for everything i have done to it..

rickf

He is planning on driving it not parting it. The 6.5 is not a bad engine, like the 6.2 it is underpowered but they get fantastic fuel mileage. Does it have the 700R4 trans?

jdknech

He is planning on driving it not parting it. The 6.5 is not a bad engine, like the 6.2 it is underpowered but they get fantastic fuel mileage. Does it have the 700R4 trans?
being a 1998 it would have a 4L80E trans.. its a TH400 with a overdrive, and lock up converter.. all electronic controlled

rickf

That is not a bad tranny after some upgrades and if you don't beat on it then it will last a very long time as is. Put a BIG transmission cooler on it. Best insurance you will ever have.

richingalveston

Research the PMD module, from what I hear that is a weak point due to its location and it getting to hot and failing. There are some aftermarket fixes for this. Otherwise it is supposed to be a great motor. the 4l80e is a great tranny. if it is a 98 then the cooling lines should be split. one in the back and one in the front of the tranny. IF this is what you have then you got the best of the 4l80e trannys. IF the cooling lines are next to each other in the front then it is a pre 96 tranny and definately get a cooler for this one. most failures are due to overheating the tranny this is why they changed them in the later models.

jdknech

Research the PMD module, from what I hear that is a weak point due to its location and it getting to hot and failing. There are some aftermarket fixes for this.
ditto this... mine is remounted in the front bumper on a large heat-sink.. it is orignally on the side if the injection pump, and just gets waaay to hot.. i left the orignal in place, and got a aftermarket one for the front bumper... that way if it goes out, i can plug the orignal up to "limp" it home...

Triple C

I have two 6.5's a 93 that has been bullet proof with a mechanical IP and a 97 with a DB4. It has given me LOTS of experience with the fuel system. Pm me if you want some ideas on where to find the kind of help regarding a 6.5 you get here on military vehicles. That truck has a DB4 electronic IP -with a FSD (as was suggested earlier, they are the weak point) I get around 20mpg on the both trucks. My 2 cents. Good luck.

jdknech

I have two 6.5's a 93 that has been bullet proof with a mechanical IP and a 97 with a DB4. It has given me LOTS of experience with the fuel system. Pm me if you want some ideas on where to find the kind of help regarding a 6.5 you get here on military vehicles. That truck has a DB4 electronic IP -with a FSD (as was suggested earlier, they are the weak point) I get around 20mpg on the both trucks. My 2 cents. Good luck.
i have heard this.. but the BEST i ever got was 13mpg... that was bone stock, driving like a grandma.. I'm glad your doing better then me.. lol

tmuenster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the great information. I have the truck at a diesel shop and they are giving it a checkup. I upgraded the batteries today to twin Optima's. They are expensive but I have had very good luck with them in my other vehicles. Hopefully the IP will still function and not have to be repaired/replaced. The vehicle was not in running condition when I bought it. I've heard the 6.5L diesels do not do well when they sit for long periods of time. This truck was used in a fire department and it did not go out of the firehouse very often. The body is in great shape and the interior is not too bad with only a small tear in the driver's seat. Here are some pics from the GL listing:

48573177_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg48573178_gl_large_thumb.jpg48573179_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg

48573180_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg48573181_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg48573183_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg

Triple C

i have heard this.. but the BEST i ever got was 13mpg... that was bone stock, driving like a grandma.. I'm glad your doing better then me.. lol
Well to be candid, the one ton gets about 18.5 to 19.5 hwy and the 1/2 ton regularly gets 20 on the hwy (yep a 6.5 in a K1500). They don't get that in town but I don't live in town so most of the driving is hwy. Neither one did that well until I went with straight pipes on the exhaust. .That bought me 2 mpg on each motor (and cooled them down too!) Helps a lot more on the 6.5 than it will on the 6.2 because it allows the turbo to spool up quicker and turn faster.

combatmech

Nice score!!! I had my eye on that one. You might want to hit up stonepicker, he has two CUCV2's with the 6.5L TD's in them. I have an ex-GSA K3500 crew cab longbed.( future CUCV2 clone ) Love the 6.5. Ditto with Richingalveston, relocate the PMD. There are kits out there. I changed mine this past October after it had been giving me fits of stalling.
Have fun with your new toy!!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are the one that got that truck. I can't believe that my $150 bid didn't win it.

rickf

Now that I see what it is parked next to be SURE to drop the transmission pan and see what is in there. Hopefully nothing, but it is due for a fluid and filter change anyway because I can assure you they showed it no mercy towing that trailer. "Think we will make it on time Sarge? It ain't your truck, drive it like you stole it and we will make it."

Rick