• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help?????

I tried to find the travel thread but even google and looking at my own recent posts came up empty? Maybe too exited to do it good (the steak and the Czech champagne bubbles does not make me work better). Maybe a link in the first post to all related threads?

jw4x4

Robo- As far as the rally is concerned, pack light. I am positive that anything you could need will be provided for you at no cost. Don't be afraid to tell us what you need. Once you get there and meet us, you will see how easy we are to get along with. I guarantee you will be impressed with our brand of hospitality.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in need of videographers/photographers for the hard ball convoy. I already have the spots picked out, and Friday afternoon, I will take everyone out on the route to show them the spots. I have 4 spots that I really want covered, 2 outbound and 2 inbound.

The convoy will go the same way as last year(I will change it up for 2015). Departure time will be 1030 hours, arrive back at D town appx 1330. I am also looking for some one to lead the convoy this year. I led it last year, and I may have to be tail dog charlie this year, if my regular last guy has to leave early.

It's not a hard job, and I will tell you everything you need to know.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump, I need a link to please. Too much things happening here in too short time, no time to go through all posts to find it back.

Help?????

I tried to find the travel thread but even google and looking at my own recent posts came up empty? Maybe too exited to do it good (the steak and the Czech champagne bubbles does not make me work better). Maybe a link in the first post to all related threads?

sandcobra164

OK. It's final (barring sickness or the DHS).

Things were stringing out here like there's no tomorrow with all kind of lines crossing etc etc, making decisions difficult. Whatever, we had a long talk about it and a hard look at the tight finances but I got the blessing of the CiC. She surprised me by saying that it might actually be crazy enough to be fun to go to the GA Rally with me (she likes the tramping idea, but a bunch of grown-ups messing around with old trucks smelling of diesel is not high on her to-experience list). We pondered this a it, but this morning she decided I will go alone and should be happy.

Guys and galls, this better be GOOD.

I am now looking around for final travel arrangements, cheapest flights, which airport to fly to, how to get some driving miles under my belt etc etc. I might need some logistic help as well. More to come this weekend, look also for the other GA Rally threads.
Sir,
Find a flight into ATL otherwise known as Atlanta International Airport and I'm sure someone from the North GA area will be more than happy to pick you up. It's out of my group's way but I'd be willing to bet that we could re-arrange our schedule. As for driving, my Deuce will be there and it hardly ever misses a trail ride. If by logistics, you mean food and a place to crash, we've all got that covered and we can show you what we call in the States, "Southern Hospitality". As far as "This better be GOOD", you just don't know what you're missing if you've never been to a GA Rally. Ask Gringletaube. He's been to a couple of these now and he has to fly in from out of country as well. It's always a pleasure to have him at these as he's one of the resident Deuce experts on this board. I've read your comments for years and I'd love to have a face to pair with a screen name as well. That's what you'll really enjoy in meeting these people. I forgot to add that the new guy is the one who crawls through the mud with the tow straps / cables when stuff gets messy on the trails. Don't bring your best clothes.

andy3

Man I'm hoping the engine swap goes smooth so I can do the Hardball convoy.
Gimp, I'll bring enough safety vests for all your coordinated special lifting operations.
Do we have enough firewood yet? If not, you guys with dumpers can stop by most wood yards and get rootballs for free.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump, I need a link to please. Too much things happening here in too short time, no time to go through all posts to find it back.
Robo,
The rally starts (officially) on Wednesday October 8. You need to fly into Atlanta (ATL). If you arrive on Monday the 6th, I can pick you up at the airport, and take you to my place where we have plenty of room for you to stay. You can then ride down to the rally with me in my M35A3 or A2 (not sure which is going yet), Wednesday morning. I live about 2.5 hours drive north of the Atlanta airport, in the mountains. Usually, one or more other deuces convoy down with me. I'm staying the whole time, leaving Sunday morning for home. I can drop you back off at the airport the following Monday when I go to work, or you are welcome to stay with us longer before going back home. You definitely need to come - you will absolutely not be disappointed!

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Robo,
The rally starts (officially) on Wednesday October 8. You need to fly into Atlanta (ATL). If you arrive on Monday the 6th, I can pick you up at the airport, and take you to my place where we have plenty of room for you to stay. You can then ride down to the rally with me in my M35A3 or A2 (not sure which is going yet). I live about 2.5 hours drive north of the Atlanta airport, in the mountains. Usually, one or more other deuces convoy down with me. I'm staying the whole time, leaving Sunday morning for home. I can drop you back off at the airport the following Monday when I go to work, or you are welcome to stay with us longer before going back home. You definitely need to come - you will absolutely not be disappointed!
WOW!!! I don't see how you could beat that deal!!

Let me sweeten the pot a little.... Don't worry about vittles cause you are welcome to dine with the CAMO Crew at all... or any meals you choose.
You can probably bunk up with the Tinwoodsman or just sleep in the CAMO Camper...has water, heat, air etc.

There MAY even be a "Georgia Mafia" T-shirt for ya!! (Just an idea I'm toying with):papabear:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Let me sweeten the pot a little.... Don't worry about vittles cause you are welcome to dine with the CAMO Crew at all... or any meals you choose.
Nobody goes hungry at the Ga. Rally....if you don't want to eat roadkill stew with the CAMO crew you can come over to the MKT and do some KP and get your meals for helping out. We always have good food at the rally.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, can you estimate how long it would take for the convoy to pass a given point? I might be able to do a pass with the drone . With h the new gimbal I can get right at 9 minutes of flight time depending on the winds.

Blythewoodjoe

Hey Joe, how old is Logan? I'm bringing my daughter this year - she is almost 9. She wanted to meet her a couple of years ago when ya'll were camping behind the mkt, but she was too shy. We will be there Friday and Saturday.
Logan is 10 and we will arrive Friday afternoon. We will be driving a really dirty M886 with a really rust M101 trailer in tow. I plan to drive in the hard ball convoy on Saturday and would like to volunteer to video at one of the spots if needed. I have a little JVC video camera that works pretty good outside if needed.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phantom 2 could do 20-25 min, I'm using the FC40 which has the smaller battery compartment. I've done 12 min withou the gimbal.

Whiterabbit

I think there was just one underpass at the Interstate.
I want to say there was a route map posted on here..............somewhere. :shrugs: Not that you can get lost but just so you get a overview of it. Kind'a hard to miss our convoy!
Hope the CP has a posting of the key event times such as trail ride times and Sat. convoy time. I'd hate to miss one of the epic trail rides while I'm out getting cookies or gas! You guys did an outstanding job on the trails last yr. Good times!!!

Can I make a suggestion.
Put the 2 1/2tn and up trucks in the back of the trail ride convoys so the smaller vehicles aren't staring at a huge tailgate or bumper in case one rolls back towards ya'. :shock:
Then again it's a blast watching the larger trucks maneuver through the trail.
Just my 2 cents.

IS IT TIME YET????

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks