• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow. I usually have theses vision problems before work. These could have been mild strokes? Often I tell myself that I just can't see myself going to work that day.

OD, what cabin did you reserve? The Clinto gang and myself have been in neighboring cabins for years. Fire ring and table are there, no grates though.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do the cabins have fire pits? If so, do the fire pits have grates over them that you can set a cast iron pan on? (wondering if I should bring a cast iron dutch oven)
We've only stayed in one cabin since we started going (Mallards Nest) and it has a small front porch with a picnic table and it has a fire pit but no grates.

Do the cabins have an outdoor picnic table?
As I said above, Mallards Nest does for sure and some others do but I am not 100% sure that all the cabins have this feature.

Do I need to bring my 10x10 canopy to provide additional cover?
Not a terrible idea if you have the space. It can get warm during the day. If you have a swap meet space I'd definitely bring it. The swap meet area has no shade.

What is the latest time I can check in on Wednesday?
I think the latest you could reasonably expect someone to be there is about 8pm. There may be someone there later but I think 8 is the most you could expect. Anything later is a bonus :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ref the how late, Durhamtown will put your cabin keys in a predetermined box if you let them know in advance. I've arrived late before.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ref the how late, Durhamtown will put your cabin keys in a predetermined box if you let them know in advance. I've arrived late before.
I didn't consider that-I thought he was asking how late he cold show up and get a nifty headlight sticker.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Conmfort creature

I started to look per orders of Clinto to previous rally media threads and also following the stuff about this year. I think my first ideas about how this would go were a weee bit off-side.

My only experience with MV meetings are a very limited and all as an outsider visitor. One Czech experience with 20 odd people racing through the mud and getting a few beers and sleeping on one large bunk house or in their vehicles, all close by. One Dutch "Keep them Rolling" Meeting I just strolled over the camping grounds a few hours talking with people and looking at trucks. Again, all close together. As good Dutch people, we like our comfort and the camping places are over-clean with sanitary facilities (like in toilets, showers, wash basins and often even cloths washers and dryers) every 100 yards or so.

It looks this might be a bit more on the rough side than that.

So do you have to reserve space beforehand, like, say at least a year in advance or what is the recommended procedure here: tent, cabin, ??? (did not have time to go over all media threads or read all info).

wilfreeman

I started to look per orders of Clinto to previous rally media threads and also following the stuff about this year. I think my first ideas about how this would go were a weee bit off-side.

My only experience with MV meetings are a very limited and all as an outsider visitor. One Czech experience with 20 odd people racing through the mud and getting a few beers and sleeping on one large bunk house or in their vehicles, all close by. One Dutch "Keep them Rolling" Meeting I just strolled over the camping grounds a few hours talking with people and looking at trucks. Again, all close together. As good Dutch people, we like our comfort and the camping places are over-clean with sanitary facilities (like in toilets, showers, wash basins and often even cloths washers and dryers) every 100 yards or so.

So do you have to reserve space beforehand, like, say at least a year in advance or what is the recommended procedure here: tent, cabin, ??? (did not have time to go over all media threads or read all info).
Yeah, it is a bit more rough than that, but still better than primitive camping for sure!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

It's not as bad as it sounds. The MKT has hand washing stations, there are community showers for those without cabins, there are porta potties scattered throughout the area and there are facilities to wash clothes (so I hear).

BUT!!! I caution you about leaving any sweets around your AO as the bear may come around and he is quite forceful when it comes to sweets!:papabear:

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
showers are just a short mule ride away! and they keep them clean, but if you go late afternoon when the riders finish for the day there is a little mud here and there not bad though

Whiterabbit

There's enough amenities to keep you clean and happy but not feel like you're in a hotel.
When Sunday arrives it feels like you didn't have enough time to do everything you wanted to do. There is just so much to do and people to see.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

The pictures may not be giving you the entire story:

So, at the Ga Rally you have several choices:

You can pitch tent and really rough it.
You can bring some kind of camper with you and quasi rough it.
You can rent a cabin or RV from Durhamtown.

If you are truly roughing it and camping, there are still public showers available and they have hot water, so you can still be somewhat presentable.
If you have a camper with you (which I suspect you won't, since most campers won't float or fly rofl) then you're golden.
If you rent a cabin or rv from Durhamtown then I think you're pretty civilized at that point- a clean bed, heat and air conditioning, sinks and shower with hor and cold water, small microwaves, dormitory style refrigerators, etc. Other than the sparse accommodations, they're not bad. Clintogf and I have been getting a cabin since 2009 and we're happy with them (albeit a bit pricey).

talldeck427

Info

Is there a web site so I may see some of the trails
The pictures may not be giving you the entire story:

So, at the Ga Rally you have several choices:

You can pitch tent and really rough it.
You can bring some kind of camper with you and quasi rough it.
You can rent a cabin or RV from Durhamtown.

If you are truly roughing it and camping, there are still public showers available and they have hot water, so you can still be somewhat presentable.
If you have a camper with you (which I suspect you won't, since most campers won't float or fly rofl) then you're golden.
If you rent a cabin or rv from Durhamtown then I think you're pretty civilized at that point- a clean bed, heat and air conditioning, sinks and shower with hor and cold water, small microwaves, dormitory style refrigerators, etc. Other than the sparse accommodations, they're not bad. Clintogf and I have been getting a cabin since 2009 and we're happy with them (albeit a bit pricey).

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I will be doing the t-shirts again this year. The selection will be smaller but there will be two colors, black and tan. I may do special orders for the grey long sleeve but I got stuck with some of them last year. I will not do advance mail order due to some movie commitments I already have. I will take orders for 3X and 4X but I will not buy them in hopes that I can sell them. I will however be selling 2013 3X and 4X at a big discount. Unless I get orders I will not stock kids sizes since I got stuck with them in 2011.
I ask that other vendors refrain from selling t-shirts since I put a lot of money into stocking quality shirts.
I still plan on arriving at the rally late Tues. since I have the Mess Tent in the Circus Wagon.
I may be wrapped around the axle with one or two movie projects but I will not miss the GA Rally unless something extreme happens.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is there a web site so I may see some of the trails
Durhamtown has some pictures on their site, but I find their site .................... difficult to navigate. You can look at the past years multimedia threads for the rally, there are a lot of pics posted of the various trails.

Here are some pictures we took on trips we took a couple years ago. Every year our Land Rover buddies put on a little weekend trip and they invited us (clinto, squirt-truck, dumpster) to tag along.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...at-Durhamtown-w-MV-s-(pics-videos)&highlight=

I also have a few prior years Ga. Rally albums on my photobucket account-the pictures include the rally, not just the offroading, so you have to go through the album a bit to get to the trails:

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/clinto1/library/12SSGR

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/clinto1/library/11SSGR

http://s9.photobucket.com/user/clinto1/library/10 SS Ga Rally

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DO you have the FIRST PRErally rally pictures, that was in maybe 06 I think, the GAR sure has grown from that PRE GAR RALLY