• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

stanky johanson

When the trail rides are set up, are they going to be classed on driver skill and trail difficulty? And is there a way to set up inspections on the trucks before the ride? Im sure the last thing we want is to have a truck loose a torque rod or to loose its brakes on a hill.

Are we going to have a recovery team on stand by if a truck gets stranded? Im only asking because last time i was at D-Town, the trails were rather nasty.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
DO you have the FIRST PRErally rally pictures, that was in maybe 06 I think, the GAR sure has grown from that PRE GAR RALLY
Here we go: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?7123-SS-cookout-trailride-pics!!!

Let me tell you, that's an old thread and took a bit of cleverness to find!

Everybody, when you look at our rally and you realize that 109 powered vehicles makes it one of the biggest in the Country, this is where it came from. A little cookout in my backyard.

When the trail rides are set up, are they going to be classed on driver skill and trail difficulty? And is there a way to set up inspections on the trucks before the ride? Im sure the last thing we want is to have a truck loose a torque rod or to loose its brakes on a hill.

Are we going to have a recovery team on stand by if a truck gets stranded? Im only asking because last time i was at D-Town, the trails were rather nasty.
1. We have not done safety inspections and so far, haven't had many failures, other than what you'd expect when offroading.
2. Trail rides are not set up on a scale of difficulty or experience. That would require an epic amount of effort. The trails at Durhamtown are set up with "walkarounds" so as you're going through, if there's an obstacle you don't wanna' attempt, you can bypass it.
3. The trail ride leaders are all experienced recovery experts and we've never had a vehicle we couldn't extricate. If you look at the 2013 multimedia thread, you'll find pics and videos of Ferro's M37 in a ditch and pulling it forward or backwards would have risked it's primo sheetmetal, so squirt truck and dumpster positioned a 5-ton dump at the top of a hill and pulled the M37 sideways first, then backwards.

There is no fear of a stranded vehicle not being able to be removed. We have multiple 5 ton wreckers. We could sink a 5-ton to it's roof and when we were done, all it would need is a bath rofl

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?7123-SS-cookout-trailride-pics!!!

Let me tell you, that's an old thread and took a bit of cleverness to find!

Everybody, when you look at our rally and you realize that 109 powered vehicles makes it one of the biggest in the Country, this is where it came from. A little cookout in my backyard.

1. We have not done safety inspections and so far, haven't had many failures, other than what you'd expect when offroading.
2. Trail rides are not set up on a scale of difficulty or experience. That would require an epic amount of effort. The trails at Durhamtown are set up with "walkarounds" so as you're going through, if there's an obstacle you don't wanna' attempt, you can bypass it.
3. The trail ride leaders are all experienced recovery experts and we've never had a vehicle we couldn't extricate. If you look at the 2013 multimedia thread, you'll find pics and videos of Ferro's M37 in a ditch and pulling it forward or backwards would have risked it's primo sheetmetal, so squirt truck and dumpster positioned a 5-ton dump at the top of a hill and pulled the M37 sideways first, then backwards.

There is no fear of a stranded vehicle not being able to be removed. We have multiple 5 ton wreckers. We could sink a 5-ton to it's rood and when we were done, all it would need is a bath rofl

VERY reassuring.

The only thing you may have omitted was the declaration....

HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS ! ! !

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
VERY reassuring.

The only thing you may have omitted was the declaration....

HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS ! ! !
That is not allowed to happen, if BUBBA wants to be BUBBA, BUBBA is asked to be BUBBA some place else where BUBBA can be BUBBA to his high beer intake limits.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The trails are no problem, it was the grass over the ditch i found. And the recovery of the M37 clinto was describing. I was the first to drive up this canyon to this point, but backed up.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whiterabbit

LOL!
I recall another M37 stuck at the bottom of that hill. Bad day for M37s. :)

I guess I need to start getting ready to go!
100_3009.jpg100_3008.jpg
Clutch job couldn't wait.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm more concerned with jackasses standing around the fire downing moonshine with one hand and finger-fiddling or twirling a firearm with the other than I am with the possibility of unmaintained trucks on the trail. For the most part this group takes care of their vehicles fairly well. I think vehicle maintenance is the responsibility of individuals, not the crowd. On the other hand, unsafe behavior is a group concern.

I hope we stamped out the children that can't seem to grasp firearms and alcohol don't mix. I am a fan of both, but not at the same time. There is no room for intentional negligent behavior at the rally.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm more concerned with jackasses standing around the fire downing moonshine with one hand and finger-fiddling or twirling a firearm with the other than I am with the possibility of unmaintained trucks on the trail. For the most part this group takes care of their vehicles fairly well. I think vehicle maintenance is the responsibility of individuals, not the crowd. On the other hand, unsafe behavior is a group concern.

I hope we stamped out the children that can't seem to grasp firearms and alcohol don't mix. I am a fan of both, but not at the same time. There is no room for intentional negligent behavior at the rally.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OK, a next thing I would never consider/expect since it is so far outside European concept of thinking and of holidays. On an outing like this, people really take loaded firearms with them? I would expect a range of replica guns connected with the MVs, but never in my life thought about loaded personal firearms on a public camping place. (no criticism or political comment intended here, just asking).

An now for something completely else....

Things are shaping up here paper-wise; that task is DONE.
I now have the following papers ready to go:

- new Dutch biometric passport valid until 2024
- new Czech permanent residence papers valid until 2024 as well
- Czech/EU driver's license valid until 2019 including a "code 95" professional CDL
- valid digital driver's card for digital tachographs
- new International Driver's Permit
- Court-translated Personal Driver's Record from last month which also mentions the CDL.
- Medical statement for being fit to drive all CDL categories mentioned on my CDL.

No other papers are needed unless I want to work in the USA commercially, in which case I need a working permit.
:tank: :naner::clinto: :driver:

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Outstanding ROBO!! I'm glad things are coming together for you to attend the GA Rally. Looking forward to talking to ya in person!:beer:

As far as the firearms, we just had a few folks doing goofy stuff one year and that has been corrected. Will there be firearms there?
I'm sure there will be as there is a shooting range etc., plus in GA you can carry one pretty much anywhere but rules have been tightened up at the rally so they won't be flashing them around/playing with them.

There MAY even be a firearm (or 50) in the CAMO Compound but you won't know it unless we are attacked by a wild herd of snipes!!:papabear:

Last edited:

RAYZER

I recall only one alcohol related incident, a couple of years ago some guy (A non member, no firearm involved) got a little out of hand one night around the campfire, the offender was quickly delt with and removed.
You'll find that there are no shenanigans put up with at this event.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I recall only one alcohol related incident, a couple of years ago some guy (A non member, no firearm involved) got a little out of hand one night around the campfire, the offender was quickly delt with and removed.
That's correct. Last year Recovery4X4 refused entry to an Irish family of 6 because their last name was Shenanigans!!:rules::recovry4x4:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings fair weathered friends. We are 45 days out (that's forty five in English, farty five if you're Irish). Make sure you have started your preparations. By the way, are any of our brothers or sisters inbound from the Montgomery AL area that would be interested in towing a 3/4 ton trailer to the rally?

Last edited:

TMNT

Yes, but a moderate amount of hanky-panky is ok, and high jinks are to be expected.

Also, I had an alcohol related incident once, but just once.

Whiterabbit

I think I packed too much hanky-panky and I'm meeting high jinks at the rally. I think he's camping next to the Shenanigan family. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can carry a boat load of hanky panky in the M814.....With the M37 in the bed also....

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it TIME???????

To address an earlier question, we will be catagorizing trail difficulty this year, mild (could be run in a car with some difficulty and a good driver), entertaining/fun/typical (Little-truck runs these in 2wd 99% of the time), difficult/extreme. (Serious challenges and technical driving required, we will have access to recover from any of the obstacles). The last catagory has many good places to watch the action from. Also, we intend to keep each group rides to a limited number of trucks (10?), that way everyone gets to participate in the fun and not just sit in line. The trail leaders will be making numerous runs. As always, ride the trails at will, but be careful.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Registration tent update. As usual, I will be hosting this operation with a staff of dedicated volunteers. This year I would like to try something different. I will print name tags and plan on having credential holders until I run out (have 100 so far). This year I will also have some lanyards available. These are little more than a 36" piece of paracord with a zipper pull end on it. They are not required but if you would like one we are asking for a dollar donation. Every cent of this will go back into the rally operation fund. If you are interested in one, please click the thanks button below so I can get an estimate on how many to make. Color will mostly be foliage as that's what I have but expect some OD green with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks