• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
As far as ladies at the rally, I would say a easy 100, a awful lot of families make the rally, this can attest to the kind of rally it is and the over site to keep it that way.

ke5eua

So I am thinking about it and mapping it out in my head.

Hotels, what is available in the area?

The dates span pretty good, 8th - 12th. If you had to make a choice of when you would make it, would it be the first half, middle, or weekend.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hotels are a bit away. Some lodging on premise but if only a night or two why not camp. Public showers are nice, plenty of food about as well. It's not a costly rally if you budget well.

ke5eua

I finally got the durhamtown site to pull up.

Looking at the cabins, does it matter what I choose?

Also cost. The wristbands. I don't want to drive trails, just want to come out and watch. With that, I would get the spectator band, or would I still have to get a driver band because I'm driving my truck on the compound?

Trying to sell it to the wife before I make a final decision.

Also I noticed the comms issue discussion. I have full HF/VHF/UHF in the 818.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spectator band. I just noticed that Clinto's math is off a buck. $5 for the first day and $4 for each day after. He had $5 then $8 for 2 days and is should be $9.

As far as cabins, be aware that some are more/less just sheds. The site tells you the amenities. Make sure they list a shower if that's what you want. If they don't have any with showers and you need a place for wee little ones and the spouse there are public showers or you could likely use mine!

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not riding trails!? Come on Mike, we've seen how you punish your 818 on trails, you can give some hip pocket training on getting a 5 ton unstuck when we have to get your 5 ton unstuck. :-D

Kidding of course. You don't have to get a driver wristband if you're not driving trails. You can get a passenger/spectator wristband or you can just pay the camping/lodging fee. If you're not on the trails you don't pay a trail fee. If they changed the rules, someone correct me.

ke5eua

Not riding trails!? Come on Mike, we've seen how you punish your 818 on trails, you can give some hip pocket training on getting a 5 ton unstuck when we have to get your 5 ton unstuck. :-D

Kidding of course. You don't have to get a driver wristband if you're not driving trails. You can get a passenger/spectator wristband or you can just pay the camping/lodging fee. If you're not on the trails you don't pay a trail fee. If they changed the rules, someone correct me.
After fighting doing these seals I don't want it near mud.

Noticed Agusta, stationed at Gordon?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure enough. The up-side is it's close to D-town. The down side is it's Ft Gordon.

Completely understand on the seals. It's no kind of fun to do that on a regular basis.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alright, reserved a cabin for the 8th - 11th. Staying in coons den.

So I guess it is official, I'm going to the rally.
Good deal Mike. I think it will be a blast for the fam.

Wow!! I love what you have done with the yard. Looks great. I guess it just goes to show what happens when you rid the property of all of those pesky deuce and a halves.
From the shed over to the property line is mine. I have my wrecker bed hidden over there and all my junk behind it. Behind the shed is a free enclosed trailer I picked up, going to dmans place. The M108 is actually hidden back there too! More aerial stuff tomorrow. Only had 15 minutes to play this morning!

ke5eua

Aerial photography? Check
View attachment 512204
What quad copter are you using?

Good deal Mike. I think it will be a blast for the fam.
Still trying to convince the wife. For me I had to come up anyway and with all the delays in doing the seals i figured I might as well see if I could push it to the rally time frame.

Really hoping she brings them up for the weekend, I still have a month to butter her up. If she agrees I'll modify the reservation for a bigger cabin for the weekend.

I think it would be great since we really didn't do anything this summer, and out last "vacation" was cut short due to family drama.

AMGeneral

Well,ya'll have fun, almost 100% sure we won't be at the rally this year,lots of factors working against me this year,lack of funds and time as well as no one to watch the livestock while we're gone.
Not for sure yet,but we MAY be coming down for a while on Saturday in a POV,depends on work schedule(plant rebuild going on,crane is needed)

Plus we are working on the 20 odd acres of land for the horses to be moved up here before November,so the backhoe and tractor are working every weekend,and i'm looking into buying a track loader or dozer in the next few weeks.

So,for right now all I can say is MAYBE.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring it Brandon. Man has to have a break every so often.

Mike, it's a DJI Phantom FC40. Super inexpensive version compared to the Phantom 2 vision plus. If I can keep this one alive to learn on then the Vision + will be in the future. My 12 yr old is eyeing this one hard.

ke5eua

Bring it Brandon. Man has to have a break every so often.

Mike, it's a DJI Phantom FC40. Super inexpensive version compared to the Phantom 2 vision plus. If I can keep this one alive to learn on then the Vision + will be in the future. My 12 yr old is eyeing this one hard.
I was looking at the Phantom 2 with the camera. Showed the wife and she was on board until she saw the price. For large purchases I have to justify it meets the needs of aiding in the kids activities, ie the M750, mobile dance platform, lol

ke5eua

As far as the wifi goes, any expectations on speed?

I've been to several campground that offered high speed wifi and my phone was faster.

Just asking because I would imagine some people will want to FaceTime or Skype at some point.