• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2014 SS Georgia Rally Info SSGR14 thread

ke5eua

Might not have a PCB, but there's not much to them.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?68832-Control-Box

And you could also just bypass it.
I know I could bypass it but I fell safer with it there as a safety barrier. Also if I were to bypass it I would have to remember to disconnect it to remove power to the truck every time I turned it off. I am a forgetful person, and I could see dead batteries in my future bypassing it.

I know it's only 2 solenoids in it, but napa would have to order the 24v solenoids for me. Me and napa aren't seeing eye to eye on right now; mainly the prices.

What I plan on doing is having napa order the 24v solenoids and removing the control box completely and just putting the solenoids on the firewall in it's place so if something goes wrong again it is a quick fix.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having a spare is a must.

RAYZER

As hard as this is for me to type it looks like I will not be able to make the rally. Working on the truck today I went to start it and on the second turn over I heard a sizzling sound and dead in the water. After looking at the schematic and using my super hearing I have determined that my black box has decided to tell me what it really thinks of me.

For me to make the trip I would have to have a control box today, and I don't see that happening.

It was truly one of those out of the blue type things that decided to deadline the truck. I am however glad it happened in the driveway, rather than on the trip to the rally.

Even the fuel coming out of the tac port I was able to temporarily fix till I get a rebuild IP.

Well, gotta figure out logistics on things I have committed to getting to the rally now.
Just jump in the Prius and come on out, you'll still have a good time!

ke5eua

Just jump in the Prius and come on out, you'll still have a good time!
Ouch, that hurt so much. The Prius met its demise the same weekend the het did. Got ran off the road. Prius vs wire barrier, let you guess who won.

Talked it over with the wife. I'm going to bypass the box to get it back out to my grandfathers farm, and I'm going to come to the rally that Friday that in the van with my trailer in tow to bring the things I committed to bring there and back.

I don't like going back on commitments if I can't avoid it.

Won't make the entire rally but I'll make it at least.

Thank you Juan and Garrett, got new solenoids on order.

zout

Ke5 so what is the reason still not to come.
All I can do is my pov and short timer too boot -so pack it up and suck it up and come.

zout

Sure ya can - thur night and Fri I will teach ya how - as long as you have a dog house you can sleep in for 6 months when you get back home

ke5eua

Sure ya can - thur night and Fri I will teach ya how - as long as you have a dog house you can sleep in for 6 months when you get back home
The dog house is currently at Andrews house awaiting to be picked up. Don't think a mini van can pull a m750. Although a Prius did pull a 5 ton, so anything is possible.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, situations change. If you are bringing a trailer just to bring my trailer box, leave it behind. No one can predict murphy or tough times. No harm, no foul.

sandcobra164

I browsed through the thread but did not see anything else concerning communications. My group of 3 trucks will be equipped with CB's operating on channel 13 and we will certainly be out on the trails. If we come up with an extra, we may be able to put it at the registration tent and I know I've seen walkie talkie like CB radios in the past. Just a thought because I know the cell reception is spotty and not everyone has everyone's number. I'm also not opposed to the registration tent starting a contact roster but I'm sure some people might have an issue if it were made mandatory. Just some ideas.

ke5eua

I browsed through the thread but did not see anything else concerning communications. My group of 3 trucks will be equipped with CB's operating on channel 13 and we will certainly be out on the trails. If we come up with an extra, we may be able to put it at the registration tent and I know I've seen walkie talkie like CB radios in the past. Just a thought because I know the cell reception is spotty and not everyone has everyone's number. I'm also not opposed to the registration tent starting a contact roster but I'm sure some people might have an issue if it were made mandatory. Just some ideas.
Another thread was started for it. 2014 ssgr amateur radio

ke5eua

Mike, situations change. If you are bringing a trailer just to bring my trailer box, leave it behind. No one can predict murphy or tough times. No harm, no foul.
Also an air raid siren that has to make it.

I finished up my air supply for my air hose and cleaned up the blow off valve then took the black box off. Opened it up and I have the new style box. Tried to activate the relays manually but nothing was gapping so I got out the fluke and I wasn't showing 24v at the batteries.

Well long story short, don't trust autozone top post to side post conversion terminals.

Well this is the result.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412447933.188656.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412447947.297654.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412447959.852598.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412447970.168128.jpg

Have another set of terminals going on.

Unfortunately I didn't get to the wife in time as she had already started working on getting a plane ticket for me to get back to Texas.

ke5eua