• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Official 2015 Georgia Rally Radio Communications Thread

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a closely guarded secret as I don't want to discourage anyone from getting their ticket.

:)

wilfreeman

Do any of you know anything about troubleshooting the rt-67? I have a vrc9 setup in my m38a1 that powers up, but I get no sound through the handset or speaker. I also have an rt68 that does the same thing. The power supply looks NOS. If I haven't figured it out by rally time, is there anyone that can help me troubleshoot? If not, I'm going to leave it at the house. It would be cool to be able to talk on it on the trail ride. From what I can tell, I can use it from 28.300 - 28.500mhz, now that I am legal.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,
You need to find someone who can work on tube-type radios, probably on QRZ or other HAM venues. And, have the -10 through -50 manuals (they were not called that back then) on the radio to get it worked on. It could be as simple as a deteriorated capacitor or a bad tube. Just as a search term for finding additional information (because the original archive is gone) , try using the term 'boatanchor' along with 'radio' to find out more about tube type military radios. (Yes, I used to own some, long ago, in a far distant galaxy!)

smurph

Wow... Get the tickets fellows!

Speaking of testing... And since I'm the president of the Cullman Amateur Radio Club (CARC, how fitting!) this year, I feel obligated to throw out a shameless plug. Our radio club holds exams the second Thursday of every month. It is a rock solid testing schedule, rain or shine kind of thing. No appointment necessary because we will be there! We test people from all over the Southeast, which is funny because we test more people from out of town than we do our local area! We are located in Cullman, AL and would be glad to welcome any candidates. So if you are wanting one of those radios swbradley1 is offering, get on in as soon as you can!!!

One warning though... If you are from out of state, we will require you to declare your temporary preference of gang colors; Alabama or Auburn.

I too can personally recommend "ham test online" for studying. Especially for the Technician class tickets where a lot of the material is pure memorization of regs and such. That web base software will pound that info into your bean!!

73s, WT0K

wilfreeman

Matt,
You need to find someone who can work on tube-type radios, probably on QRZ or other HAM venues. And, have the -10 through -50 manuals (they were not called that back then) on the radio to get it worked on. It could be as simple as a deteriorated capacitor or a bad tube. Just as a search term for finding additional information (because the original archive is gone) , try using the term 'boatanchor' along with 'radio' to find out more about tube type military radios. (Yes, I used to own some, long ago, in a far distant galaxy!)
There used to be a guy in Chester that I knew, who ran an electronics shop and worked on the "old stuff". He closed shop about 15 years ago though. I'll have to try to track him down to see if he might be able to do anything - he should be about 80 now. I haven't sat down and searched for anyone local that still works on them or even opened the case to see if the tubes light up - I basically installed the set and turned them on. At least the lights came on, so its not completely dead!

Get TM11-289 and find an 'elmer' that has dealt with tube radios. That should fix things up!
I was finally able to get all of the manuals (electronic versions), but again, haven't sat down to do any troubleshooting - I might be able to identify an easy problem by myself if I take the time to do it! I haven't joined a club yet, so I haven't met any "elmers" yet - ****, I have only made 1 contact since I got my ticket (seems nobody wants to talk to me around here - yet. I'll keep plugging away and one day someone will! My only contact was checking in on the net).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumping this up as we have right at about 3 months to go.

Updated the dates in this thread for the rally.

wilfreeman

Yeah, I have all of the repeaters in a ~20 mile radius programmed in according to my app. I made contact with a couple of guys in the next town over (about ~15 miles away) that are on the radio almost every day. Listening to them talking is one of the reasons I wanted to get licensed. I haven't really even spent much time on the radio in the past couple of months - I'm spending much of my spare time building a bar and fence at the pool.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any word from any of the amateur radio operators who wanted to run comm this year?

Right now my only plan is to be using 2-meter / GMRS / CB (if I get another antenna mount).

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any word from any of the amateur radio operators who wanted to run comm this year?

Right now my only plan is to be using 2-meter / GMRS / CB (if I get another antenna mount).
Sounds like a good solid simple plan to me! I'm still coming if the creek don't rise, etc.

Bob WB4ETT

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Does a NEW string with THREE NEW cans (a party line) be allowed in the give=a-way