• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Change on the Deuce. When?

darknessvanquished

blackstone labs sells them.You can order over the net either prepay samples or order free sample kits and just pay as you send them in.I would suggest prepay in quantitiy to get a slight discount.They will tell you if you have problems by what metals are in there of if you have a fuel system problem or a blown head gasket or problem with the air filter system(Silicone content...AKA dust)
Blackstone is who I use for all my oil analysis.

jblack6527

I change mine about every 3-5000 miles. I run regular Rotella, 15-40. That equals out to about once a year. I figure $70 for oil and filter changes a year isn't bad.

jesusgatos

Most of the time on a diesel you can change the oil and after the engine runs for about 30 minutes the oil will be as black as coal.
...unless you've got a centrifuge-type bypass oil filter. I just got a Spinner II for Mah Deuce after reading about them in another thread on this site. I'm right in the middle of a major service right now, changing ALL the fluids to Amsoil synthetics and investing in good filters, etc. Don't plan on changing the oil... ever again (I'll check it regularly).

jfnemt1ff1

I like to change mine once a year in the spring, I do it in the spring because during the cold weather it gets more idleing. We did the same thing on the fire department bush trucks and never had an problem.
John

darknessvanquished

The less you use a vehicle or engine, the more frequent the oil changes and lubrication maintenance need to be. Why? Moisture. Stick by the "3mos or 3000miles whichever comes first rule" for infrequently used engines, and change all of the gear lubes out once a year-more frequently if you submerge the axles obviously. Seems a bit over the top, but parts for these trucks aren't getting cheaper and they get harder to find every year.

bassetdeuce

The majority here do it once a year, me included. Some of us have more than 1 truck. So, I get the cheapest CI-4 rated oil I can get and do it once a year. Filters are swapped every other year. I won't drive any truck more than 2000 miles a year.

wvhillbilly

I Use Rotella, and change my oil every 3000 miles. It's cheap insurance considering work and money involved in an engine swap. I'd rather be DRIVING my truck as opposed to WORKING on it. I pay 10 bucks/gallon for the oil, use Hastings filters, and figure I will drive my truck about 5000 miles this year. Mine ain't no yard ornament:driver::beer:

bottleworks

...unless you've got a centrifuge-type bypass oil filter. I just got a Spinner II for Mah Deuce after reading about them in another thread on this site. I'm right in the middle of a major service right now, changing ALL the fluids to Amsoil synthetics and investing in good filters, etc. Don't plan on changing the oil... ever again (I'll check it regularly).

Even with a spinner, you will still have to change it.... Your oil will just last a l-o-n-g time... An oil analysis will keep your engine in check.

Lex_Ordo

My diesel mechanic told me that you should change oil every 100 hours. I will be changing mine in October, along with all the filters.
I figure once a year will be a good gage. I've only put on 2K miles and no where close to 100 hrs.

dabtl

I have been toying with changing the oil every couple of years as my trucks normally are driven in parades and such only. They are run every week to operating temp for a bit and then sit.

But, with the spin on filters it is a matter of draining the pan, putting in some oil and changing the filters quickly. I may not change the filters this year. Probably less than 1,000 miles per year would be my average driving.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The less you use a vehicle or engine, the more frequent the oil changes and lubrication maintenance need to be. Why? Moisture. Stick by the "3mos or 3000miles whichever comes first rule" for infrequently used engines, and change all of the gear lubes out once a year-more frequently if you submerge the axles obviously. Seems a bit over the top, but parts for these trucks aren't getting cheaper and they get harder to find every year.
I'm guessing that with my truck soon to be living in Phoenix, AZ area where temps are high and moisture is (what is moisture again?:wink:) almost non-existent, I won't have to worry about moisture getting into the oil. I plan to start the engine up at least once or twice a month (if I'm not planning to take it out for a spin) & let it idle for a bit (at least the 5-min to warm it up) to keep everything moving. Would that count as "infrequent use"? I want to keep it in good condition so it will be ready to go at a moment's notice.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing that with my truck soon to be living in Phoenix, AZ area where temps are high and moisture is (what is moisture again?:wink:) almost non-existent, I won't have to worry about moisture getting into the oil. I plan to start the engine up at least once or twice a month (if I'm not planning to take it out for a spin) & let it idle for a bit (at least the 5-min to warm it up) to keep everything moving. Would that count as "infrequent use"? I want to keep it in good condition so it will be ready to go at a moment's notice.

No moisture, but dust.

And running a diesel without a load is worse than not running it at all. (Wetstacking)

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No moisture, but dust.

And running a diesel without a load is worse than not running it at all. (Wetstacking)
Ok, I'm confused now. So the 5-min of warmup idling and the 5-min of cool down idling is worse than not starting it at all? :-?

Even the Multi-Fuel Engine Truck Operator Manual, Page 15 (Mar 1977) states "Keep your engine running - idle between 800-1000 RPM - for short stops. Figure a short stop is anything up to 30 minutes. You don't do your multi-fuel engine any favors by shutting down and starting up again all the time. It works better and lasts longer under steady operation."

As for dust, yes I agree it can get quite dusty here. I would definitely plan to seek cover if I seen an inbound haboob, turn the tail of the truck into the oncoming storm, & after the 5-min cool down for the turbo, shut the engine down & wait for the haboob to pass.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I'm confused now. So the 5-min of warmup idling and the 5-min of cool down idling is worse than not starting it at all? :-?

Even the Multi-Fuel Engine Truck Operator Manual, Page 15 (Mar 1977) states "Keep your engine running - idle between 800-1000 RPM - for short stops. Figure a short stop is anything up to 30 minutes. You don't do your multi-fuel engine any favors by shutting down and starting up again all the time. It works better and lasts longer under steady operation."

As for dust, yes I agree it can get quite dusty here. I would definitely plan to seek cover if I seen an inbound haboob, turn the tail of the truck into the oncoming storm, & after the 5-min cool down for the turbo, shut the engine down & wait for the haboob to pass.
Idle before use = good. Idle to cool down after use = good.

Starting the vehicle and idling it without actually using it = bad.

Once upon a time there was a heavy diesel generator, for backuo power for a hospital I believe. After many years there was actually a need to use it. When they went to start it up and use it, it would barely run and was full of carbon. The explanation? The maintenance crew had dutifully started it once a month and let it run for an hour with no load.

Diesels need to run with a load in order to prevent wet stacking...

Reactions: HDN

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's also a good idea to put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in 5th gear when idling the engine. Probably run it for an hour, just so any moisture that has condensed is driven out of the system. Do the run up a hill at full tilt about once every six months and you will keep the wet stacking at bay.