• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil loss / use.

Drock

You said you're burning a pint of oil per 3 miles.
Driving from New York to Virginia pulling a 5 ton trailer.
Thats about 500 miles.
Divided by 3 equals 166 pints of oil burnt.
2 pints to a quart thats 83 quarts.
4 quarts a gallon thats 20.8 gallons of engine oil burnt to make Virginia.
Well, at least you'll save money on diesel fuel by burning that much out of the crankcase.

You'll be a quart low every 6-10 minutes.
Probably best to get one of those hand pumps and duct tape the line right into the crank case fill and the 20 gallon oil containers in the cab next to you.
That way you can pump oil into the engine as you drive.

Good Luck.
:funny::lol:

Better, bigger filter, much less suction on the CDR. Didn't use any without a filter in it. The paper filter is 8" around instead of six, and twice as long. Having eggs and bacon, then on the road. 4 long years, finally moving.

Bighorn

Actually known people to do things just as crazy to make it home;

Pair of astronomer buddies hit a rock on a fire road on top of Chew's Ridge in the Los Padres National Forest.
Put a hole in the gas tank.
Duct tape wouldn't stick.
Tried hammering a piece of wood into the hole, no dice.
Chewing Gum.. nope.
Bar of soap.. Bingo!

They rubbed the bar of soap across the hole in the gas tank and is sealed it up all the way down to Carmel where a local mechanic removed and drained the tank, filled it with water, and brazed a penny over the hole.

I know of 2 different Jeeps that lost fuel pumps and resorted to the "Duct tape a gas can to the hood and run the carburetor on gravity feed" mode of travel.

I once put Sprite into my power steering pump because I foolishly had nothing else to put in there to get out of the situation.

Used the test lead of my multimeter to hot wire and S10 on Christmas day that had pinched a wire and smoked his fusible link.. never did get my test lead back.. Merry Christmas.

What ever gets you down the trail until a better repair can be made.
Glad to hear the Original Poster has resolved his issue somewhat.
Would be nice to see exactly what he did to help others.
Good work Drock!

I had to run it open to air for the 1500 mile trip. Lots of smoke, but minimal oil loss. I got a turbo CDR and in order to use it positioned right, I had to raise it on a stiff hose. I plan to plum it in at the far end of the filter and see how that works.

Drock

The way the banks kit plumbs it, is into a large ram air box and the CDR is outside of the filter. The box also has drain holes in the bottom incase it sucks up water through the intake hose.Screenshot_2017-10-05-20-46-06.jpg

Last edited: