• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? on cab ringmount plate rivets

txdodge43man

I am adding the cab plate for the ring mount in my m35a2 and I was wandering what kind and size rivets to use. I have seen lots of pictures on here but have not seen anyone say what kind they used. any info would be great. thanks

ida34

9/16 is way too big. I would guess around 1/4 inch but it is hard to measure them when the shank is in the backside or the plate. The flat head may be 9/16 but the actual shank diameter is the one that they are sized by. It looks 1/4 inch would be real close and mine seem to be steel rivets. If I can get a good shot at one I will give you exact the exact size but that wont be until this weekend.

ida34

Check my other thread on the subject for the information on welds. Basically the top two braces in the corner were welded along the perimeter. The military puts in the pop rivets and there are approx 70 of them. The welds should work put I would think that pop rivets would be quicker.

TedG

I did my 5 ton with this:

Rivets: steel, 3/16" diameter x .5" long or so. I used around 90-100 of them! I did it by hand and it was not that bad.

You really need make sure the cab is square prior to riveting. I also used 4 self-tapping screws to hold the plate in square and tight, then I riveted it. See my 5 ton bumper fun post.

ida34

I have a question on this. I have seen the plates for sale but my government installed kit came with small corner braces for the top of the corners of the cab. Are you guys getting these and installing them with your kit or is is just the large plate. Also, my plate is actually one large plate with two smaller plates for the corner of the plate. So, the government kit actually contained 5 plates to make up the total kit for the cab. I think I saw that at least one of the repro deals was just one piece for the plate. Inquiring minds want to know.

jwaller

Here is a picture of the passenger's side small bracket I was talking about. This was the only one with welds.
I think all deuces have that plate. if you look at the tm's for the ring install I think it only shows the 1 plate on the rear of the cab and the 1 that bolts to the cab rail where the hard top would have bolted down.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right IDA is mostly correct. The plate is 1 piece but made from 3. I don't think the little corner braces are part of the kit. However, there is supposed to be a smaller brace on the right side under the dash where the forward leg goes. I've never seen one in person just in the TM. It looks like a piece of flat stock with 2 90 degree bends.

TedG

I just have the a big one piece plate. I thought it was military due to it being in a military parts pile and it was painted with carc.