• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinion on towing capacity

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Speaking of that...

I think I'm in love.
Dang Right! Those things drag a big fat juicy trailer and haul the M1 Abrams, so weight won't be an issue!

Only drawback I can see is that there is a bench seat in the back - where the peanut gallery can ride to offer commentary about your driving... :)

Jeepsinker

All arguing aside, if you want to tow a piece of light tracked armor with a deuce, you need a deuce tractor conversion or an original deuce tractor ( M246?) And one of the short single axle drop deck trailers they used with them. Model numbers are apparently escaping me today.
But a 5 ton tractor and trailer would indeed be better for this.

rustystud

Speaking of that...

I think I'm in love.
Hey Montaillou. I tried to buy a HEMMET a few years ago, but the wife had a fit and fell in it ! To answer your original question, your brakes are the limiting factor on a Deuce. That and the suspension over-hang from the rear axles. Remember your pivoting point would be where the Brace Rods mount to the frame. The Deuces max tow capacity is 5 tons because of these limitations. Could it tow this trailer with all that weight. Yes. Could you safely stop it. NO !
A 5 ton should be in your future.
If you ever do pick up this FV102 let me know. I would love to come up and check it out.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long time no see.

I have started looking around on deals that might show up for a 5 ton and/or trailer. Not too seriously as I don't have a place to park one, but if the deal is good enough...

rustystud

Long time no see.

I have started looking around on deals that might show up for a 5 ton and/or trailer. Not too seriously as I don't have a place to park one, but if the deal is good enough...
Yeah, all the good deals on 5 tons have come and gone ! Missed the boat there myself.
Hey did you ever catch "covid " ?
I'm fighting my second round right now. Got all the shots and booster too. Sucks ! I don't know if my lungs will ever be the same again. I think I coughed up my left lung last time !

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey did you ever catch "covid " ?
To my knowledge, I haven't had it. 2 shots + booster + work from home + little social life, helps.

Long covid sounds like a bitch, I'm more scared of that than dying.

I think there's still a good deal out there. Hell, I practically tripped over an engine swap. Guy wanted my engine for a tractor, so I said, 'well, any chance you have a 6BT'? "Oh, I got 3" So, sometimes things work out.

I did buy a 5 ton last year for just over $2k, but I'm trading it to a mechanic - he's the one doing the labor on the engine swap as well as some other work on my Deuce. I'm sure there's another out there.

As soon as I moved the Deuce to my mechanic's, the neighbors took pictures and put their house up for sale. I offered to bring it back so they could update the pics...

rustystud

To my knowledge, I haven't had it. 2 shots + booster + work from home + little social life, helps.

Long covid sounds like a bitch, I'm more scared of that than dying.

I think there's still a good deal out there. Hell, I practically tripped over an engine swap. Guy wanted my engine for a tractor, so I said, 'well, any chance you have a 6BT'? "Oh, I got 3" So, sometimes things work out.

I did buy a 5 ton last year for just over $2k, but I'm trading it to a mechanic - he's the one doing the labor on the engine swap as well as some other work on my Deuce. I'm sure there's another out there.

As soon as I moved the Deuce to my mechanic's, the neighbors took pictures and put their house up for sale. I offered to bring it back so they could update the pics...
To bad my shop isn't finished yet ! I would love to get a 5 ton. Glad to hear you didn't catch the crap covid ! Both my wife and me got the "long" running kind. Actually I guess it's your body that determines how fast you kick this crap. My chest still hurts at times and feels like I need to cough all the time now. One night I actually though I might not make it to morning. Couldn't get any air !
Thankfully I'm on a CPAP machine which forced air into me. Thank you sleep Apnea !
Now what"s this about a tracked vehicle I hear your trying to buy ? I would so love to have a tracked vehicle. I miss driving the M60A1 tank in the Marines.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now what"s this about a tracked vehicle
It's my fall back in case the 'round the world thing doesn't pan out.

Tracked vehicles cost a fortune in the States, but they're practically cheap in Europe. I'm good at paperwork and logistics, so I figure I can find one at a decent price ($20k to $35k - maybe less), and ship it here. I've been looking at the FV 102 because it's more affordable than a tank. Also some variants were missile launchers and I figure they're pretty much already de-mil'ed so no/little added expense. Can't license them in WA, so it's off road driving only. LOTS of logging roads near me, also, the beach on the coast is a state highway, so there's that too. I think it'd be fun to spend weekends driving one around.

There are some tanks I would consider, but I don't have deep pockets. And no Ruskie tracked vehicles - they're cheap, but too wide. American vehicles are usually WAY too expensive, but any other NATO country would work.
Check out https://www.milweb.net/ it's a good source.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Tracked vehicles cost a fortune in the States, but they're practically cheap in Europe. I'm good at paperwork and logistics, so I figure I can find one at a decent price ($20k to $35k - maybe less), and ship it here. I've been looking at the FV 102 because it's more affordable than a tank. Also some variants were missile launchers and I figure they're pretty much already de-milled so no/little added expense. Can't license them in WA, so it's off road driving only. LOTS of logging roads near me, also, the beach on the coast is a state highway, so there's that too. I think it'd be fun to spend weekends driving one around.

There are some tanks I would consider, but I don't have deep pockets. And no Ruskie tracked vehicles - they're cheap, but too wide. American vehicles are usually WAY too expensive, but any other NATO country would work.
Dang Right!! Sounds like it would be a heck of an adventure too.

Owning a tracked vehicle would definitely be fun. Driving an M4 (high speed tractor) on Davidson Street here in Charlotte was a big adventure in the 1980's. Company that owned them had street tread and so the adventure in cold weather was to "go for a drive" every now and again :cool:

rustystud

Tracked vehicles cost a fortune in the States, but they're practically cheap in Europe. I'm good at paperwork and logistics, so I figure I can find one at a decent price ($20k to $35k - maybe less), and ship it here. I've been looking at the FV 102 because it's more affordable than a tank. Also some variants were missile launchers and I figure they're pretty much already de-mil'ed so no/little added expense. Can't license them in WA, so it's off road driving only. LOTS of logging roads near me, also, the beach on the coast is a state highway, so there's that too. I think it'd be fun to spend weekends driving one around.

Yeah stay away from the Russian tanks. Money pits ! There not that well built in the first place, then factor in the cost of repair parts and shipping and your broke all the time !!!
Maybe a good British or German tracked vehicle. :-D