• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions wanted...

alphadeltaromeo

Everyone has one...they say...so what's yours...

When putting on a set of tires on the rear of the deuce (duals only) does it matter if the nozzles line up or are opposite? Thoughts and reasoning please.

Andy

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't imagine any kind of difference that there would be regardless the position the tire was put on especially if it is balanced.

poppop

I don't ever ever line mine up because I have to run my hand through the outside hole to remove the cap on the inside one. I have big hands and need all the room I can get.

Srjeeper

Old school use to be have both vavle stems at the same location, especially on Dayton wheels. Nowadays they usually put them 180 apart. Makes for easier checking and air ups. DOT requires caps on all stems also.

Sarge

The 'military' answer is to put them 180 degrees apart. In fact, if someone changed a flat and lined them up, we would find the offender, summon him to Vehicle Maintenance and have him take the outer wheel off and put it back on at 180 degrees. The logic was that 'tis almost impossible to air them up when they line up.
'Course, your results may vary, I'm just telling you what the military position on that subject is.
Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that there is a TM reference to it, but I bet Acetomatoe would know that!
-Sarge out

JDToumanian

Like Sarge said, it would be difficult or impossible to fill the tires with them lined up... But someone told me (or I read somewhere?) that the reason for 180 degrees is so you know exactly where the inside valve stem will be - opposite the outer - and won't have to check all the holes in the rim.

Jon

emr

180 sure makes sense to me, I always dont line em up, BUT they will be 180 from now on,ive looked for the ones that aint there anymore, 180 is smart! as for balencing, I dont see how any balence can make any difference on NDT's or any other mil tire, I have had the fronts filled with the balence stuff they shoot in at air up, but that is just not worth the effort, it makes no difference, and for that matter, i always rotate my tires the old fashioned way, i cross the backs to the front,even in my civy pickups, dont make one ioda of a difference, i only high speed balence fronts when new, and when i rotate,, then i balence the ones going on the front, because they need it by then anyway, so why waste the dough on the back, 2 more cents than needed,snowed in and bored. drove the mule around, man she awesome in the snow!!! Randy