• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ORD Steering Box Brace Install?

rnd-motorsports

There shouldn't be any problems on install! really simple, but not really needed on the 1ton the cracks are noted on 1/2 tons and have seen some on the 3/4 but the frams are a little stronger on the 1tons but insurance never hurt anybody!!!

prairie

I'm putting on 35" tires, and figured the brace certainly couldn't hurt.

Rescued a set of D60/FF14 4.56 axles from a '78 K30 that was destined for scrap. The steering box area looked like it had been repaired a couple different times. Also got set of axles off an '79 K30 that had been a wrecker, its frame also had multiple repairs around the steering box and other places, and when the box finally broke out, it was parted out. Both of these pickups, likely never had anything but standard size tires on them. But, knowing who the previous owners were, were used and probably abused under some pretty tough conditions .

K9Vic

I'm putting on 35" tires, and figured the brace certainly couldn't hurt.

Rescued a set of D60/FF14 4.56 axles from a '78 K30 that was destined for scrap. The steering box area looked like it had been repaired a couple different times. Also got set of axles off an '79 K30 that had been a wrecker, its frame also had multiple repairs around the steering box and other places, and when the box finally broke out, it was parted out. Both of these pickups, likely never had anything but standard size tires on them. But, knowing who the previous owners were, were used and probably abused under some pretty tough conditions .
My transmission mechanic was talking about these braces the other day after I picked up my M1009 from some work he did. He said the same that with larger tires and a lift the box is stressed and can break out. So he recommended this if I added a lift to my Blazer. He was very knowledgeable i the K5 area, so I would recommend one from everything he talked about.

Mudstone

i lifted my m1009 and have the brace installed... i recommend it mostly due to the history of the frame breaking near the box, the part is cheap, the install isn't difficult. Prior Planning Prevents Pees Poor Performance