• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Packing bearings and checking Brakes

gbooth

I started the process of Re-packing all the wheel bearings and checking and adjusting the brakes. I have done the front already just haven't installed the drive hubs as I hope put on the new de-splined hubs that I am getting from Will.

The brake linings all looked new and needed only a slight turn to make contact with the drums, Bearings were all good but needed the re-packing.

I now have started on the rear and need some information. When I pulled the hub and brake drum off there was no sign of the keyway cork gasket. The was no gear lub in the drum and the brakes were dry. My question is can you use a small dab of silicone instead of the cork? If not what are the dimensions so I can make some out of bulk material.

Thanks for all your help.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, I had to take my girls to their end of the year track meer tonite, but they are done, so I just gotta get them and ship out. I got your care pkg today, don't think I forgot, just buiser than I would like to be

gbooth

Re: RE: Packing bearings and checking Brakes

WillWagner said:
Greg, I had to take my girls to their end of the year track meer tonite, but they are done, so I just gotta get them and ship out. I got your care pkg today, don't think I forgot, just buiser than I would like to be

Hey No problem I know that what its like to be busy. Glad to here that you got the "Package"

Thanks

5tonpuller

RE: Re: RE: Packing bearings and checking Brakes

I also did mine this year. New seals inner and outer and hub seal. The mech. at the armory tell me the only thing in them hubs is grease. Oil washes out the grease.
The cork gasket is like a sliver as wide as the notch and about 1/2-9/16 long.
There is some BIG bearings there and a lot to grease.

gbooth

Re: RE: Re: RE: Packing bearings and checking Brakes

5tonpuller said:
The mech. at the armory tell me the only thing in them hubs is grease. Oil washes out the grease.
That's good to know as I was going to ask that question. There was not a lot of grease on the rear bearings there were no rough spots or any discoloration.

Thanks

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Packing bearings and checking Brakes

When I brought my deuce home, she blew outer seals on both rear axles. I played it safe and replaced all bearings, races and seals. I used form-a-gasket for the cork gasket. No issues whatsoever. Just make sure you set the bearings before adding the sealer.

papercu

packing

O O.K. I read the heading as "packing beer" I don't know about the bearings but if you ever need help with the other......... Wayne :D

gbooth

Well I finally finished re-packing bearings and changing all filters , topping off all gear boxes and a full grease job on all the grease zerks. I went for a test drive the new De-splined hubs are great, and after a drive of almost 10 miles I stopped and checked for leaks and hot hubs. The right front and left rear were a little hotter that the rest. But they were not so hot that you could not put your hand on them and hold it but they were noticeable hotter then the rest. I will pull the hubs back off and back the nuts off a small amount and re check them. On the good side there were no leaks of grease, oil or fuel.

jasonjc

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. Repack bearing replace/rebuild wheel cylinder replace oil soaked shoes.And new zipperless boots up front

gbooth

Ok as stated in my early post I had 2 hubs that were hotter that the rest. Today I jacked up the front and spun the hot side and there was a noticeable drag, I removed the hub (these are the de-splinded hubs) and the wheel spun freely. There were no ware marks on the splines. I marked the hub with some crayon and bolted back on, when I took the hub back off there were smashed crayon and marks on the outer grease seal. I have a new gasket and some blank gasket material I am going to make a couple of gaskets and try and shim the hub out ever so little so that maybe that will remove the drag. Any Comments or advice on this would be appreciated.

gbooth

Ok maybe mine is special Because there outer grease seals just like there are on the rear. If they don't belong that could be the problem. I just look at the TM and it does not show the outer seal on the front But when I disassembled it they were on both front wheels.

jasonjc

OK I'm going to try this again.

One of my trucks was like that it had the outter hubs seals in front. It was one that I got post millitary. So don't know who put it in there. And I think it came out of a GSA action exfire dpet maybe??? Thee is no need for the outter seal in the front axle. As long as the drive flang has a good seal.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, Can you ake a picture? I have not had mine off yet...the front bearings/nuts, but I have had the hubs off a few times and saw no seals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks