• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting

Doug D.

so i purchased some humvee doors from Western Kentucky Surplus. They are the fiberglass ones and are pretty nice. Wanted to know how to prep to paint them.
I am using Rapco paints and need to know if i need primer. Do i need to sand them? What grit sandpaper?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
liquid sandpaper is just a chemical alternative to sanding, to remove the gloss layer on the set resin to allow primer to bond to the fiberglass better.
I see no reason why you can't treat it like any other fiberglass paint prep if that is all they do.
Then just use a primer rated for fiberglass.

If it's totally unpainted, then clean it up with a degreaser, scuff it with 220-240 grit sandpaper until all the gloss appearance is completely gone, and wash it down again.

This article has a little more detail

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug is absolutely correct (as always).

There is also a paint and restoration section on SteelSoldiers. It has members who might have done similar stuff