• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Part Number: M1009 front shafts u-joint

HelluvaEngineer

Sorry for being "that guy". I spent an hour last night searching and checking the TM, and I can't find a modern part number for the u-joints on front shafts (steering knuckle). I bought what I thought was the correct Moog part but it's too small. I assume the M1009 has a larger bearing surface. Mine is 1.194" in diameter.

Is there a modern offering that is greasable? All I could find is some "new old stock" on Ebay that claimed to fit the M1009.

Many thanks.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for being "that guy". I spent an hour last night searching and checking the TM, and I can't find a modern part number for the u-joints on front shafts (steering knuckle). I bought what I thought was the correct Moog part but it's too small. I assume the M1009 has a larger bearing surface. Mine is 1.194" in diameter.

Is there a modern offering that is greasable? All I could find is some "new old stock" on Ebay that claimed to fit the M1009.

Many thanks.
Ok before I jump down the tm road...are you talking about the axle shaft u joint that goes in right at the ball joints?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

HelluvaEngineer

Amazon had these with next day delivery so I took a chance. These do appear to be correct. They are greasable but it's on the cap. You get a flush plug and I assume that when you want to service them you need to screw in a zerk. That's OK with me since they will be much easier to get to.

I'll install sometime this week. If they aren't correct I'll come back and amend this post. Hope it's useful to someone in the future though - MOOG 377

Edit: it's a flush grease fitting. I have never encountered one before and just ordered a $5 needle tool.

Last edited:

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Amazon had these with next day delivery so I took a chance. These do appear to be correct. They are greasable but it's on the cap. You get a flash plug and I assume that when you want to service them you need to screw in a zerk. That's OK with me since they will be much easier to get to.

I'll install sometime this week. If they aren't correct I'll come back and amend this post. Hope it's useful to someone in the future though - MOOG 377
I went through the tm and in the axle section with the u joint it does not give a part number for it and I am not sure where else to look. The cap grease zerk is a needle style so just grab that end for your grease gun. Works great.

HelluvaEngineer

I went through the tm and in the axle section with the u joint it does not give a part number for it and I am not sure where else to look. The cap grease zerk is a needle style so just grab that end for your grease gun. Works great.
Thanks for looking. I saw the same in the TM. Just referred to it as a group of parts or something.

Update: installed these tonight. That is indeed the correct part number for my application (M1009)

Last edited: