• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts Needed in CT ASAP - Axle Boots & Airpack Rebuild Kit for Irene Emergencies

BimmerPower

Banned
Well I just got a call from the chief of my local fire department and he is asking me to be on call with my truck in case we need it during hurricane. Last year we had record floods and the Pawcatuck River went over its banks unexpectidly and I was the only person capable of treading the 4-5 foot waters to evacuate people from the raging waters (with the help of the FD). I was awarded citizen of the year a few months ago believe it or not! I need to get my truck back in action as a result of possible water getting in the axles.

Is there any place in the local CT/MA/RI area that carries Air Pack redbuild kit (long style) for the M35A2 and zippered style boots? I need them ASAP so I can have it on the truck by Sunday. Can anyone help me out?!

Ive included some pictures from the flooding before my phone died. What you can't see is how fast the water is raging down the street.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alredneck

Banned
I wouldnt worry about the boots if your running your truck in deep water much less salt water!

Water will still get in, and contaminate the grease, it would be better once you finish rescue operations to tear down all your axles and clean everything, add new fluids, and regrease everything. Also clean your brake parts real well and check seals while in there. Salt water will eat them brake springs and pad mounts ( where the friction material is riveted to ) fairly quickly.

White Owl in NC has the airpack/MC parts, Saturn Surplus and Eastern Surplus are up closer to ya but still not that close. Hopefully a member might have some parts really close to ya. I would send a airpack and MC but shipping next day would be crazy for how much that thing weighs from here in Memphis.

Good Luck and stay safe!

chicklin

I concur. Is it operational as it is? If so, run it, get through the emergency, then clean the ever-living snot out of it afterwards. Otherwise, you're going to have to do it twice.

BimmerPower

Banned
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately it was fresh water that I went through... unfortunately I didn't not think to rebuild the axles after the event. I would not even consider driving through water that high, but on that day I really had no choice. People needed to get out and I had the means to do it.

I plan on new fluid in all axles, inspecting/replacing/packing new grease, checking the bearings, etc through my truck mechanic. New boots will follow. Thanks for trying to help!

paulfarber

"a good rule in most discussions is that the first person to call the other a Nazi automatically loses the argument."

Also know as Godwins Law.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could order some from NewStar and have them overnighted to you. That is if they have them in stock.

I have the parts for a 5ton but not a Deuce

Send me a PM if needed.

Last edited:

G-Force

If you drove through that water last year and didn't take it apart after that then I wouldn't worry about it now. Use the truck as it is for the hurricane.......the damage, if any from last year, is already done.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you drove through that water last year and didn't take it apart after that then I wouldn't worry about it now. Use the truck as it is for the hurricane.......the damage, if any from last year, is already done.

Yup, run it and fix stuff later.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parts where delivered this morning. Keep us updated on the status of the locked brake issue.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I persistently tried to contact him. His evasiveness and local contact input finally led me to ban him.