• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up 6 MEP-802A gensets and will be documenting making them all runners here

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Kurt! Let me do a quick round and count up how many are missing and also double check the other totals I gave you.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kurt, this is what I need:

2x MEP 80x Fuse Mod kit
3x Fuse for above kit
4x MOV
25x Relay clips

I ordered from you before so you should still have my pertinent info.

Guyfang

Staff member
Does anyone know where to pick up those hold down springs for the relays?

I have never seen where you can get just the clips. When you order the socket, the clip comes with it. Kurt might be able to tell you where he found the sockets, and you might be able to write them a mail.

Carefully labeled all the wires before removing the block.

The only problem I have with this method of rewiring is, if someone made a mistake before you, you just made it again. I never marked wires, I just took the schematics and checked the wire number to the terminal number.

Open the three documents and look at them from first to last page. Then decide if they might help you with wiring.

Attachments

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for those manuals Guy! I had the 3rd one, but not the first 2. I'll print out all 3 and go through all the wiring completed so far and check off each one as I go.

Thanks for getting those holds downs ordered Kurt. Sent you an email just now.

Got TB4 back together again:

IMG_0387.JPG

Looks a lot better than before. Still need to double check the wiring against the docs Guy sent.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some decent progress tonight.

I stole a couple of these rubber lined holders from the donor 802:

IMG_0388.JPG

And was then able to properly hand the main harness going across the area that will be covered by the control box soon:

IMG_0398.JPG

Also got the rear lower frame in and door mounted. All those pieces were banged up pretty bad, but came out ok.

Next I started working on the fuel filter stuff, and it was a total mess. No air would blow through the line feeding the injectors. I soon discovered why:

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

I also discovered that the washers I used on the exposed head bolts were these banjo fitting washers, so I get to redo those, but just one bolt at a time, so I don't think I'll have to re-torque the head bolts under the valve cover. Now I remembered the reason I had a couple of these packages laying around next to the head:

IMG_0392.JPG

I cleaned up the faces of the banjo fittings, but one side got a pretty big nick in it:

IMG_0396.JPG

The other side looks ok:

IMG_0397.JPG

I think with those banjo washers with the build-in O-ring, they will seal ok.

I do need new rubber washers for the bleed screws on the filter housing:

IMG_0394.JPG

I got the filter housing soaking in kerosene overnight. The banjo fitting and bleed bolts are in Evapo-Rust. Once they are rust free, they will join the filter housing in the kerosene.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm drawing a blank on locating those bleed screw seals. Part Number 186-6289. Any leads on where I might be able to get some?

I did go ahead and order 2x 2 packs of these:

Each kit includes all of the following:

186-6279-01Bowl Seal (1x)
186-6279-02Element Seal (1x)
186-6279-03Seal (2x)
186-6279-04Element Filter (1x)

So $10 bucks per kit. Considering this is GMG, this is an item they actually don't rape you on.

You get all the parts circled in red:

fuel_pump_and_lines.jpg

Item 17 circled in orange is the one I'm having a hard time locating. Looks to be a plain flat rubber washer. Maybe I can match it to something at the local hardware store?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The screw has a SMR code of: KFOZZ. If you look that up it says:

Items with these codes are not to be requested/raquisitioned individually.
They are part of a kit which is authorized to the maintenance category
indicated in the 3rd position of the SMR code. The complete kit must be
requisitioned and applied.

That should tell you what to do. Kit part # is: 393331

If you look in the back of the TM to the part number cross section, you will find the part number and the NSN for it: 2815-01-139-4010.

Try both kit part number and NSN in your search.

There are tools for you to use in the TM.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome! Thank you both! Ordered spare parts pack per the link above.

I'm starting to get a better appreciation for how to use the parts manual. Thanks for the tutorial Guy!

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some decent progress this evening. First up was the straighten out the 2 small "door sill" panels on the sides. This is what one of them looked like before:

IMG_0402.JPG

And after:

IMG_0403.JPG

Not perfection by any means, but they both bolted up just fine after some quick work in the vice and a pein hammer.

All wiring, fuel lines and oil drain work done on the right side of the engine:

IMG_0406.JPG

Wiring complete on the left side of the engine:

IMG_0407.JPG

Muffler and intake installed:

IMG_0410.JPG

Control box mounted:

IMG_0415.JPG

Both the flip down and top cover piano hinges are in really bad shape. Control panel flip down:

IMG_0413.JPG

The rod is almost gone. I'll see if I can find some stock at Lowe's or something. The front top flip down hinge was not in much greater shape:

IMG_0414.JPG

The return line well nut was also completely gone:

IMG_0408.JPG

That rubber was hard as a rock. Was finally able to get it off except for the brass insert:

IMG_0409.JPG

Dropped the fitting on Evapo-Rust. Hopefully tomorrow after a shot of PB Blaster, I can unscrew that brass insert from the fitting.

Slowly getting there. This 2006 unit was in really rough shape...

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks @Guyfang placed and order. That will be a LOT easier to deal with than trying to repair the old ones. I did go ahead and steal the control panel flip down hinge from the parts unit for now.

Got the new well nut on the fitting:

IMG_0416.JPG

Installed well nut, front section and completed the pluming with wiring for the fuel tank:

IMG_0419.JPG

Completed the rest of the coolant system:

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

Need to steal the 2 plugs from the parts unit water pump since the new one didn't come with one:

IMG_0422.JPG

So that's pretty much it as far as getting the 2006 unit running until my pieces come in for the fuel bowl.

So I turned my attention to the 2007 unit. This is one of the ones that I had the machine shop redo the head on. It was all put back together, but I don't remember why I sat it aside back then.

Here it is on the right. The one of the left is the one waiting on fuel filter parts:

IMG_0424.JPG

I learned my lesson on the 2009 unit and drained the old fuel out:

IMG_0426.JPG

Filled with fresh fuel and went to the prime position. After 2 seconds the fuel pump stopped with a "NO FUEL" fault indicator. Tried a few more times, same thing. When it quite, I could hear the fuel dripping back into the tank.

So I unplugged this guy:

IMG_0429.JPG

And now the fuel pump would keep running in the prime/run position. I let it circulate for about 10 minutes, then tried to fire her up. It cranked fine, but was completely dead. I did check and the fuel solenoid does engage. Tried 5 or 6 times for maybe 20 seconds each. Completely dead.

I guess the next step is to loosen the high pressure lines at the injection pumps to see if I get fuel there, correct?

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I loosened the high pressure lines at the injection pumps. I have fuel there.

Here's the action of the fuel solenoid while cranking:

And here's what the exhaust looks like:

Maybe there is just old fuel still in the lines from when I attempted to get it started 6 years ago and then let it sit? I think I never was able to get it to start back then, and then just moved onto another set, but I don't remember for sure...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks