• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PNW-M923 Recovery Standby Contacts

wsucougarx

Hello fellow PNW Steelsoldiers! I am planning a 24MAR M923 recovery trip in Southern Oregon. My friend Matt will provide chase in my 3/4 ton Dodge Ram. Should I run into issues and need some serious help (ie tow) I was wondering if I could call upon the SS for assistance? I will be picking up the truck in the Medford area and then head up I-5 N. My plans are to do a turn and burn trip so my friend can get home to his family by Saturday night. If you can be on standby help please provide me a contact phone number;-). The plans are to make a fuel stop around Eugene and head on up the I-5 corridor. Going to stop for fuel in Toledo as well. Total mileage from Medford to home is around 400 miles. Not very far, but can prove to be very far should I run into issues.
Here are some pics of the beauty.

Attachments

Last edited:

503m715

Hi Mike, I will not have insurance on my m923 untill the 25th. But in an emergency I am sure I could make a call.
Is the truck you bought the one off of craigslist with around 700 miles on it?
The reason I ask is a friend looked at it and it was having brake issues.

The other Mike

wsucougarx

Hi Mike, thanks I appreciate it. I saw that truck on CL. Looks pretty nice. The one I'm buying is a different truck being sold by a fellow SS. Hoping out plans mesh together so I can get her for sure. I feel like a lil kid during Christmas week.:p

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Edit: Wrong truck.

I'll help if needed. I may be down near Roseburg that weekend, depends on the weather, I will PM you my phone number there as well.

You've done lots of recoveries, so you know this, but the one thing you are likely to need if the batteries are good, is fuel filters. Stuff that has settled to the bottom of the tank after sitting might get stirred up and all that.

Thing is though, both my trucks sat for a long time, and the deuce is still on the fuel filters I bought it with, and I have put a lot of miles on it in the last three years.

Likewise, the fuel tank in my 923 is spotless, and so I haven't bothered to change the filters. I do have spares though.

I bet if you throw in a tow bar, some earplugs, engine and tranny fluid and some filters, you are not likely to need anything else.

Oh yeah, bring some patience. There are some BIG hills between Methford and Roseburg.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Roger that scoutmanadam. She's a great running truck so I don't anticipate any issues. Just good peace of mind to know I have my brothers watching my 6.

F'N!WreckerRay

Mike, count me in for tow or haul. Im sure you will need neither :lol:
The tow bars we scored should work well. My old truck in the shop could pull ya. Or possibly have the wrecker done by then.
Take care and ya got my number.
Ray

F'N!WreckerRay

Tow

Mike, count me in for tow or haul. Im sure you will need neither :lol:
The tow bars we scored should work well. My old truck in the shop could pull ya. Or possibly have the wrecker done by then.
Take care and ya got my number.
Ray

wsucougarx

Thanks Ray, I appreciate that man. I'll send you a PM when we set out. Hoping to begin the journey around 0800 hrs on Saturday. Going to change the oil and filter first thing Friday night when I get down there. I have a feeling I won't be getting much sleep. Zy was gracious enough to offer his home for us to crash.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
emergency belt

If you have the nhc250 cummins, I would advise picking up one of those fancy power twist link belts for an emergency.

All the belts are very easy to change except the inner water pump belt. The adjustment is to loosen the water pump and rotate it guaranteeing that the water pump will leak and it is a major pia to get to and removing lots of stuff to get to it. It will not be a road side repair but an emergency belt and you will be rolling in 10 min.

I am sure this a belt not changed often or during maint because it is such a poor design and labor intensive. since the water pump will have to be pulled to reseal.

lesson learned as I got my M923 at Fork Polk Louisiana and almost made it home. 236 miles except the 18 on a hd wrecker on Mardi Gras night as I broke down on a long elevated bridge on the interstate.:roll:

I will post on changing the water pump soon and the lessons I learned.

Best of luck and congrads!:grin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks