• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Portable diesel fuel/gas extractor.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a portable diesel fuel extractor, I made this from a fuel pump with quick disconnects on both ends and only added the pick up tube which I wanted clear to see whats being pumped and the filler tube. I also added the 12v DC power wire and clamps. As a weight on the pick up tube I threaded a 1" nut over the pick up tube to gravity feed the hose to the bottom. When pumping it is virtually silent, quiet is good.

This pump came from a GM diesel truck as a secondary pump for long runs. What amazes me is the fact that it pumps just fine at 20' of head. This filled a 5 gallon fuel can of diesel in about 4-5 minutes. I have pumped from truck to truck as well as extracting fuel from in ground tanks.

I feel in an emergency situation/bug in/bug out/wtshtf/waaf. These are cheap to make and is a handy tool to have around, I think every MV should have one just in case.

Attachments

Last edited:

Matt1031

As if I didn't have enough problems with meth addicts stealing stuff off my property :mad: It was positively brilliant of you to help them all out by posting what amounts to a thinly disguised how-to article on fuel theft. "emergency situation" C'mon, you really expect me to believe that?

What's next? How to slim-jim a door in under 5 seconds? How to hot wire fuel cutoff solenoids? How to bypass a "defective" ignition key? How to bump master locks?

Think before you post.

ODDBALL007

As if I didn't have enough problems with meth addicts stealing stuff off my property :mad: It was positively brilliant of you to help them all out by posting what amounts to a thinly disguised how-to article on fuel theft. "emergency situation" C'mon, you really expect me to believe that?

What's next? How to slim-jim a door in under 5 seconds? How to hot wire fuel cutoff solenoids? How to bypass a "defective" ignition key? How to bump master locks?

Think before you post.
there r pro's and con's to every great idea.

kevin-m1008

Not sure stealing fuel at a gallon a minute, would encourage many crooks.

In fact I would rather they used this as it will give me time to get out there and give them an education on there choice of career.

For that matter stealing most military vehicles is pretty easy unless the owner takes at least some precautions. Which I'm sure most of us do. not that a MV can outrun any vehicle! ;-)

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Think before you post.
I am sorry you feel that way Matt, It's not my fault you live around meth heads, Don't take out your frustrations on me. Think before I post. ..? Thats a new one on me. This device has saved me on several recovery's and is a good tool to have around. I really don't think a meth head would even understand how to put it together, Here I am 50 years old and I feel like I just got spanked, Be for real......Why is there always an a//hole everywhere I turn.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I am sorry you feel that way Matt, It's not my fault you live around meth heads, Don't take out your frustrations on me. Think before I post. ..? Thats a new one on me. This device has saved me on several recovery's and is a good tool to have around. I really don't think a meth head would even understand how to put it together, Here I am 50 years old and I feel like I just got spanked, Be for real......Why is there always an a//hole everywhere I turn.
I have this same pump in my tool box plus Spectre/Clearview replaceable fuel filter with 1/4, 5/16 and 3/8 in. barb fittings (6932) | Performance Fuel Filter | AutoZone.com before the pump, to see whats being put in and out of my tanks. Replacement filters are cheep too.

NightOwl

I wish I had one of these pumps the other night when my pickup truck was out of diesel and my 5 ton was full of diesel fuel. I had to use a transfer pump that warned, Don't use with flammable liquids.
Yeah, those meth addicts reading posts on Steel Soldiers would never think to steal a high speed fuel transfer pump from Tractor Supply. I better go bitch out Tractor Supply for helping meth addicts... Rich neighborhoods don't have many meth addicts, just high property taxes.
Islandguydon, are you selling any of these setups to those of use who are busy and/or lazy?

steelypip

I'll mention that I did something very similar to this in a critical domestic situation - we had run out of home heating oil on Easter morning in PA. It was 28 degrees and snowing at 0730 when the house dropped below 55 degrees. The solution was a 12V Facet pump, about 30 feet of tygon hose snaked to the bottom of the 500 gal in-ground tank, and a garden tractor battery. I got about 15 gallons of fairly clean HHO into contractor buckets that settled out sufficiently clear and, when mixed with some waste motor oil I had lying around, yielded about 25 gallons of fuel, which was gracious plenty to get us to Monday afternoon when a fuel delivery could be scheduled. An improvised suction hose on the furnace fuel filter pulling oil out of the bucket beside it completed the installation.

Now if you want to know why I did a dumb@ss thing like run out of oil, the answer is simple: we were renting, the landlord was an evil lunatic, and we were going to bail the instant the lease was up. I wasn't about to leave that skeeving rat a few hundred dollars of my HHO for free. It was a late Easter - we nearly made it.

I found out what the oil vendor's pump-out charge was, decided that it would be cheaper to sell the oil in summer as a 'you come get it' proposition $1.5/gal or so. Sure enough, we advertised it and a guy came and pumped it all out in July for us. Mission success.

I don't know when he figured out the tank was empty, but we were across state lines when it happened. I hope it was November or so.

I have used that combination of pump and long hose to move gasoline and oil a lot of times before and since. It's a handy arrangement, and not a new one.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish I had one of these pumps the other night when my pickup truck was out of diesel and my 5 ton was full of diesel fuel. I had to use a transfer pump that warned, Don't use with flammable liquids.
Yeah, those meth addicts reading posts on Steel Soldiers would never think to steal a high speed fuel transfer pump from Tractor Supply. I better go bitch out Tractor Supply for helping meth addicts... Rich neighborhoods don't have many meth addicts, just high property taxes.
Islandguydon, are you selling any of these setups to those of use who are busy and/or lazy?
I had a friend who worked for GM, retired and died 3 years later, 6 months ago. He was in a unit that stripped brand new trucks and refitted them with new ideas. Everything he stripped off from interiors to engines to parts He was told to toss in the dumpster. My friend Tom was a pack rat and never ever threw anything out, he took home new parts from GM every day for 20 years. In the garage there were 2 large Tupperware containers of these pumps and the hoses with quick disconnects. Thats how I got the idea. I threw out 1 10 yard dump trailer full of S//T. If you want me to make you one I will since you asked nice and its only 10 minutes to make. I draw the line on building a free one for everyone. Thanks for your support Night Owl.

Smokingman

I think this is a great idea.

I have a manual set up currently.The pump is a manual drum pump I picked up in the grease isle at tractor supply for around $20.00. I use it on a 15 gallon drum though the drum has to be moved out of my M1009(not enough roof clearance for the pump handle).

Having an electrical option would be nice.