• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

possible new owner... need help.

johnsonbrandonj

I'm debating buying a deuce... sold my f250 and really need a truck and have wanted one for 15 years. I will have two vehicles for a few months but then the lease will run out and depending on how things go may not get into another car for a while... i.e. it may be a daily driver for a while.

Please note before you light me up I've tried to search site on all my dumb questions.

*I'm looking into insuring/registering in AZ, but anyone with insight please let me know.

*I've read about pre/post lube for turbos but cannot find out exactly where to buy/install/cost/a solid description of what I'm looking for.

*I think I found a clean one (already titled and gone through) so titling shouldn't be an issue if I can come to a deal, but doesn't have heater. They said they will install one for a price... what should that price be (or is it something that can be done with a 6pack? 12 pack? case?

*Any good solutions to split brakes so you don't lose all if you get a single leak?

Anything else I should look for/watch out for? Thanks for any help... like I said sorry if these are dumb, I tried searches and read a whole bunch.

Brandon

Pinz25086

Welcome to the site! You do not say what kind of driving you do currently. If I only went a few miles a day, a deuce might work as a daily driver. Drive 50+ and you may want to think about this. I use mine as a toy and enjoy it a lot. I drive 45 miles one way to work through Orlando traffic and I would not want to do it in a deuce each day.

You may also want to look closely at the real cost of owning a deuce. An oil change can set you back the better part of $200 unless you are doing all the work yourself. Insurance can be costly as many agents will force you to go with a commercial policy. I have never heard of any HOA that was happy to see a deuce in a driveway and local zoning may frown as well. Once you get started it adds up fairly quick. There was a good thread just a few days ago about the real cost. You may want to read it. Not trying to talk you out of anything but want you to think about what it is you are discussing.

Cant help you the AZ laws but it is no problem to register a deuce in FL.

Pre lube kits can be made rather easily or purchased. I would just change the oil filters to spin on and not worry about it.

Used take out heater kits can be found for a couple of hundred bucks. Plan on a few hours to install. There are many people who did not use the "factory" set up but used a jeep heater. Much more cost effective but no defrost. Really once the deuce is running, plenty of heat comes through the fire wall (but then again I live in FL.)

Split brakes can be done but plan on spending some cash. Not cheap to do even if you do the work.

Wayne

Welcome to the site! During the summer I had a transmission replacement done in my pickup so I drove my deuce everyday for 2 weeks. I agree with the above post, the decision to drive it daily should be based on your commute time/distance. I drove 18 miles a day round trip so it was pretty easy for me. After a couple of days I forgot I was even driving it and it seemed just like any other vehicle!
When you go to insure/register it make sure that the agent knows EXACTLY what kind of vehicle you have. When I got my insurance cards in the mail they had listed my 1972 AM General M35a2 as a '1972 AMC A2M' ???? That needed to be corrected immediately so there would be no confusion in the event of an accedent.
I'm not sure about your local laws but in NH The Deuce can be registerd as an antique if it is not going to be used for commercial use. No CDL is required, not even a medical card because it is NOT a commercial vehicle. $36.00 reg cost yearly with title plates.

Hope I helped you out! Good luck with the purchase and get ready for LOTS of funny looks!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Welcome to the site! Patrick(Opcom) had a good write up on installing a pre-lube system on his deuce. Might be on his website too, bunkerofdoom.com. The heater install should be 18pack type of day. Once you've done it, its a 6er, but the first time has a learning curve.

Heavysteven

I agree that driving a deuce daily would not be a good option. There fun to own as a hobby but I would not want to depend on a 40 year old truck. Mine always needs repair and constant pcms.

If you have the money get an A3, power steering, auto, heater, etc....

If you plan to use the deuce for a daily, just be sure you know what youre getting into, i'd suggest grabbing some TM's out of the resource section, search for the user "chevytruck" i believe his name is, in his signature he has the links to what he calls the "starter kit" lol, its the operator and basic maintenace manuals for the deuce. read through them a few hours a night and if you think you can do it, then by all means, go for it.

Dailying a deuce is more a matter of "can I do it?" than a "can it do it?" like all vehicles they break, but if well taken care of theyre pretty reliable, but you'll be a bit hard pressed to find a shop that can do the repairs, and do them for a decent priceas far as i've heard, but with a medium sized tool kit you can do most of the work yourself. just be ready for slow and bumpy rides.

all depends on the person 2cents

Last edited:

mojeeper

Welcome to the site! Patrick(Opcom) had a good write up on installing a pre-lube system on his deuce. Might be on his website too, bunkerofdoom.com. The heater install should be 18pack type of day. Once you've done it, its a 6er, but the first time has a learning curve.
The heater install should be 18pack type of day or three with out help :-|

johnsonbrandonj

I live in az as stated and go to work 5 times a month... (48 hour shifts) and parking isn't a problem... it's about 10miles to work, other than that it would be a home depot/desert/?? truck. like I said I would have a second car for the time being, and would again eventually but might end up using exclusively for a while (especially if I can find a fuel hookup in AZ)

Also, does anyone have accurate maint. schedules for these things? I am seeing on this site that a lot of people do once a year, but is there an hour/mile schedule for maint?

RAYZER

I change my oil about every 3k miles,the oil filters can go longer.
Then take that wmo,filter it and pour it right in the tank! I love these multi fuels!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks